2008 Busa Tune-up

Trail_Blazer

Registered
Hi all.

Apologies for what is most definitely a bit of a repeat on some threads that are already here, but I was hoping to get a bit more of a focused idea a about something. The topic is ECU Flashing. :rolleyes2:

So I have a set of stainless Yoshi TRS slip-ons on the bike and a K&N air filter on the way. There is a well renowned tuning group near me who recommended I get the ECU flashed once the pipes and filter are on and that I would benefit massively from this. My riding involves a lot of commuting and a fair bit of fast mountain riding with some motorway stuff thrown in too, a bit of everything.

Now I've read through the threads but what I want to have a level of knowledge before I go in there because from what I understand I will have a certain level of input into how the flash is done? The lads have a dyno there too. Also they mentioned nothing about a harness.

So my questions are:

- Will I really notice a big difference, is it worth the money?
- Will an ECU flash remove the 1st and 2nd gear and top end restrictions as standard or do I have to specifically request this?
- Do I need to explain exactly what I'm looking for (e.g. more low end pull, smoother throttle etc) or is a flash a fairly standard thing just basically smoothening everything out?
- For someone who does ZERO drag strip type stuff (i.e. not worried about an extra 3mph at the top) what would be the best things to look for in this kind of flash? Love a bit of low end grunt, useable mid-range and impromptu wheelies.

Any information on what I should know and be asking for when I go in would be greatly appreciated!

Thank all. :thumbsup:

Ideally, get your bike dyno/tuned by a competent/experienced tuner using the ECU Editor.....sounds like you are lucky to have this option available for you.

Not sure if you've already read thru this: ecueditor.com - The Ultimate Engine Tuning Software for Hayabusa, GSX-R and B-King Motorcycles

What can the ecueditor.com software do?

The stock Suzuki Engine ECU contains a lot of advanced features that many owners are not even aware of. The ecueditor.com software allows you to unlock these feature and get the full potential out of your ECU.
•Tune and adjust fuel maps (IAP and TPS)
•Set RPM limiters and remove top speed limiters
•Autotune with data logging to laptop
•Tune and adjust the ignition maps
•Quickshifter and autoshifting
•Turbo fueling and boost control module
•Nitrous mapping with ramp up timer and solenoid control
•Disable Stock O2 sensor and closed loop functionality
•Disable PAIR valve (air bleed into exhaust)
•Adjustable Traction Control (slew rate RPM limiter)
•Adjustable Launch Control (2 stage RPM limiter)
•Programmable launch and shift light
•Numerous other advanced tweaks and mods for the serious race bike setup

Or for $50-$75, send your ECU to JohnnyCheese/Powerhouse/BoostBySmith to get it flashed (you can contact them directly to find out exactly what they do or if they can accommodate any "special" requests).

There's a lot out there that can be done, don't forget about taking care of the response of the secondary flies.

I assume if they're any use the guys I'm going to will be using this software? Don't know could I handle being off the bike for the amount of time it would take me to send my ECU away and get it back!!

I had mine flashed and I noticed a difference. I have slip ons but other than that she is stock. It is not huge but I swear the throttle response is better. I would say for the low price of getting your ecu flashed it is definitely worth it.

Well it took me many many flashes to get it close and the way i want the bike to run with all the settings. To get a good tune up you have to change all the settings i mean everything. And get all the settings working toghether.

I had mine flashed and I noticed a difference. I have slip ons but other than that she is stock. It is not huge but I swear the throttle response is better. I would say for the low price of getting your ecu flashed it is definitely worth it.

Well it took me many many flashes to get it close and the way i want the bike to run with all the settings. To get a good tune up you have to change all the settings i mean everything. And get all the settings working toghether.

What exactly did you guys get done in the flashing? How come it took so many for you to get what you wanted?

Why did it take me so long. Well I am not a Susuki Engineer, And i do not think they ride these things or ride on American soil. There is nothing good about a stock Busa tune or gear ratio. So i had to go thru every setting to find out what works for me. Its called being in control, If i want the front up no problem, If i want to go out a ways then pick it up no problem, If you do not want to not pick the front up at all no problem. I run a 18/40 so with the right settings you go very fast with less throttel. Its just a fun bike to ride now. Then you have to learn how to ride i am very sneaky and cagey rider. Any thing else you would like to know.

Cheers for the replies.

I'm hearing that in order to eliminate the top speed and 1st/2nd gear restrictions that even with the flash of the ECU (which will be done in-shop and with a dyno) you still need some sort of kit to do it. Similar to a TRE? Is this correct or can everything be done through the ECU without anything else needed?

LINKY >>>>>> ECU Flashing
........... what you (or your tuner) need to have PLUS the FREE ECU Editor software to get started (and tuner's dyno machine of course)

gen%202%20flasher.JPG

new, improved design

woolich1.jpg

Ah ok so I assume that anything the guys do that doesn't involve some external hardware such as that will just be a basic adjustment of fuelling to optimise the mix for my cans and K&N filter, not really going into too much specific stuff?

will just be a basic adjustment of fuelling to optimize the mix for my cans and K&N filter, not really going into too much specific stuff?

my suggestion would be to ask your local tuner directly WHAT SPECIFIC parameters they will "touch" during the dyno session. at a minimum, an interface harness (see photo below) is needed for them to work with your ECU (assuming they already have the software and flashing control unit)

good read here: http://www.boostbysmith.com/gen2.pdf

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a tech/mechanic and have very limited personal experience using the ECU Editor software

ecuharnesses.jpg

Back