2008 Busa Service

Trail_Blazer

Registered
Howya all!

So I'm gonna give the Busa a bit of pampering she's coming up on 42,000km now gonna get a full service. I want to do most of the work myself, average mechanical skills and I've a couple of mates to help.

So stuff I can do handy enough would be:

Oil & Filter
Spark Plugs
Brake Pads
Brake Fluid
Air Filter
Coolant
Clutch Fluid
Take apart & Clean Callipers

I'll probably drop it in somewhere then to get the valve clearances done, and a general inspection in case I'm missing something.

Just a couple of questions:

- Is it worth changing brake lines for braided ones on Busa? Brakes obviously could be better but is this upgrade worth the money? Any pads better than others?

- I've yoshi slip ons on bike, gonna get ECU flashed. Any benefit going for free flow air filter like K&N or stick with OEM filter?

- Do I need to have a look at plugs to see the condition before deciding if I need a hot or cold type plug or will any do?

- Is there anything I'm missing that I could or should do myself?

Any advice and other little Busa tips or tricks would be welcome!

Cheers lads n ladies.

Pull the Maintenance on the fusion reactor too :laugh:

I've never been on a Busa with braided lines so I can't say there's a big benefit. If you look at the Gen II lines you'll see they made improvements in this area as well as the radial mount calipers. Personally, I would not touch the calipers unless there was an issue. IMHO you're just looking for trouble.

I'll bet that your valves are within spec.

Are you still running the original chain and sprockets ? 26,000 miles , it might be worth doing while you're doing all this other stuff.

A ceramic embedded pad WILL stop you sooner, like EBC HH "Extreme Pro" (HH, is not the same as HH Extreme Pro either).
Galfer also makes an equivalent.
SS lines will improve the brake lever feel, especially under hard riding. The stainless steel wrap around the rubber line keeps the rubber from expanding, and therefore the lever will not feel as mushy. The rubber expands more as the fluid gets hotter.
Worth doing.
With 42k miles, wouldn't hurt to change plugs, but they're iridium and still likely fine. Replace them with the same as stock.
An aftermarket airfilter in a gen2 can improve off idle throttle response, but nothing dramatic or really useful, the main benefit is being able to clean and re-use them.
Flashing off the ecu restrictions makes a very noticeable improvement at lower rpms.
Set the suspension sag if you have not already, as it should be the very first thing done to any sportbike.
Make sure the chain slack is correct also, too tight will keep the suspension from working properly.
You're already changing the plugs, might as well pull the valve cover and check the valve shim clearance yourself. It isn't hard and the service manual will walk you through it. But like Dadofthree said, they are probably all in spec, but never hurts to check.
Looking at condition of chain/sprockets is good advice too.:beerchug:

Back