2008 busa Gen 2 flash question..

WOOSAB

Registered
Hello everyone. I have been looking through the forum for a few weeks now while purchasing a new bike..I have been riding liter bikes for about 8 years now and have beeing doing track days for maybe 2-3 years. I recently went to a drag track for 1st time that was a 1/4mile and loved it. I was riding of course the best thing in the world a Yamaha r1 the same bike i use for the street and regular track. After a few runs of getting beat by zx14's and busa's and gsxr 1000's i went home and did some poking around on this forum. Well after much reading and looking around this past sunday i went out and bought a 2008 Hayabusa Gen2 with 1,787 miles on it 100% stock.

So after 5 days of having the bike, i have got new exhaust, 10inch extension, new stacks, new air filter, pc5 changed oil and added engine ice, quick shifter, and new sprokets -1/+2 . After reading all the sprocket threads i'm debating on sending the front sproket back and going +3 in back. I want it to have a nice grunt on low in but i might every once in a while ride it on the highway so i dont want to go over board.

I am also dropping the bike off to get ECU flashed and the restrictors or governors removed. I was curious after getting the ecu flashed and these things removed whats the HP difference. How much of a increase should i expect. Also with all my upgrades would i be better to get a full extension arm thats 1 piece or is the extension ok..

I'm in Dallas Tx if anyone knows a good tuner or ECU person. At this point i plan on going to Sabin performance. They have done most of the work on my r1 and i have never had a complaint with his work.

Thanks

How much do you weight and what tire are you running?

I don't see you hooking with 10" stretch and that gearing....do you spend your weekends at the dragstrip or do other riding?

I do course riding with my r1 and 1 or 2 nights at drag strip... I'm 6'5 285 pounds... I plan on doing some riding on regular street with the busa also..some of local m/c's go to a farm outside city where there is a runway and we do some racing so I would more than likely drive bike there as well... Any input would greatly be appreciated. Also what length stretch are most of u running?

At 10 over you'll need a good tire. Check out a Shinko hookup or Michelin Power One. You could certainly stand to go -1 and +3 for drag racing. It won't kill the highway but high speed runs will be a bit limited. I go 155 mph in 5th gear with that gearing. Nobody has said it yet, but you don't need a PC5 with the ECU flash.

Dennis the ecu flash will remove top speed limiters and set rev limits but it's the Pc5 that can control the fueling better than a flash. The best tune on a GenII will be had with both. We talked about this very same thing a few weeks back and the above are the words of Frank from powerhouse who is a sponsor here as well as a well known tuner.

Dennis the ecu flash will remove top speed limiters and set rev limits but it's the Pc5 that can control the fueling better than a flash. The best tune on a GenII will be had with both. We talked about this very same thing a few weeks back and the above are the words of Frank from powerhouse who is a sponsor here as well as a well known tuner.

This is one of those things like "what is the best oil?". I doubt we'll ever have everybody on the same page. I make hundreds of passes down the 1/4 every year and can tell you that the last fine little tweak doesn't do squat for 1/4 mile et or mph. It is amazing how much of a change I can make (based on a datalog) in the fueling to see a change in the et. Heck, I can add 17% for nitrous, leave the bottle closed, and only lose a tenth. I find it humorous when someone has a tune that "made their bike run so much better everywhere" and when I do a map compare the only difference is 6000 rpm's and up in the right hand two columns. Also realize that the best tune right now isn't the best tune a an hour, or a week as the DA or wind conditions change. To each their own I guess.

I wonder if the autotune for ecu editor(with additional wide band o2)will/could ever evolve into "real time" tuning? As the computer would be constantly adjusting for conditions at that moment.
Could the busa ecu even be capable of that assuming it was possible with ecu editor software?
I have no money for a dyno tune yet, but have debated over the new ecu editor with autotune and wideband vs a dyno tune at Lee's Performance in Charlotte NC. Either will cost me about the same.
I think it's get it dyno'd and leave it, it'll be improved where needed. As opposed to constantly playing with auto tune, especially me not being a dragracer.

I know there is alot of drag racers down there in TX, somebody has got to know some1 who turns wrenches for a busa. You want to definitely take it to a busa guy. These bikes have been around for so long most of the top notch mechanics can take them apart and rebuild them with thier eyes closed. They will know exactly what you need and dont for that matter

I wonder if the autotune for ecu editor(with additional wide band o2)will/could ever evolve into "real time" tuning? As the computer would be constantly adjusting for conditions at that moment.
Could the busa ecu even be capable of that assuming it was possible with ecu editor software?
I have no money for a dyno tune yet, but have debated over the new ecu editor with autotune and wideband vs a dyno tune at Lee's Performance in Charlotte NC. Either will cost me about the same.
I think it's get it dyno'd and leave it, it'll be improved where needed. As opposed to constantly playing with auto tune, especially me not being a dragracer.
I had the same thing done to mine at MPS Racing. It feels like it runs lean around town. I'm going to get a P.C. to see if that will help, but I was wondering the same thing about some way to monitor for real time changes in conditions.

Thanks for info fellas...yea the guy doing mine does tons of busa and has several he races for big money his self...

My closest top notch tuner is about 4 hours away. I've talked to him at one of the drag race series a few times and he's tuned my buddy's 400 hp turbo Busa as well as some record setting shootout bikes. He told me the dyno gets you close but he uses a wideband to fine tune after that. I think the advantage of autotune is it will more easily tune the whole map, at least the parts you use where to do that on the dyno would be exhausting.

I don't think you'll see the ECU automap hardware we have today running in closed loop. The automap is really just a datalogger with no processing and feedback capability to the ecu, and I'd think write times would be waaaay to long for closed loop, even if you could do it while the engine is running. Just my thoughts, not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn (Express) last night.

I run -1 and +3 and LOVE the gearing! I'm about 9-9.5 inches back, and YES u MUST have a good tire if you plan on hooking at that length. You will need to set your shock about as soft as it goes too on the pre-load. At least I had to. I run a hook up tire and hooks great! If you are willing to run ECU editor and get a wideband O2, you can do all the tuning yourself. IT may not be as "perfect" as a professional, but if you have a good understanding of things you will be fine for a virtually stock bike. Just my .02
Congrats on the new bike too!:thumbsup:

I dropped the bike off last week and i'm heading to pick it up today. Weather sucks it's raining so i guess i'm going to pick it up in the truck... Anyway i went -1/+2 on gearing. I had ecu flashed and decided to add the pc5 on there as well. Changed the stacks and air filter.. Changed oil.. Changed to Engine ICe... Had rims powder coated blue to match the bike had front and reat pegs coated in black to match the frame.. Did a 6inch extension..-1 lowering strap on the front.. Had a custom set of headers made for it. Changed it to a 4-2-1 pipe. Bike came with a muzzy full exhaust, i'm taking the muzzy off and putting a custom shorty on it this weekend more than likely.. Here are the before pics i'll add more once i pick it up..
b3.jpg

b2-2.jpg

b1-1.jpg

Coming to the party late but was gonna recommend Johnnycheese. Look him up for future needs.

Back