2006 turbo stage 1 randomly runs rough

That1WhiteGuy

Registered
Pretty sure its jumping timing, it pops while idling and back fires while revving. Has new plugs and only 200 miles on the turbo setup, some times I can start it and it runs normal no popping, other times it pops and runs like ****.

turbo guru's please point me in the right direction of what timing control unit or what other problems you may think of.
Stock internals on 6psi studded head and thicker head gasket.

Pretty sure its jumping timing, it pops while idling and back fires while revving. Has new plugs and only 200 miles on the turbo setup, some times I can start it and it runs normal no popping, other times it pops and runs like ****.

turbo guru's please point me in the right direction of what timing control unit or what other problems you may think of.
Stock internals on 6psi studded head and thicker head gasket.

I believe if it were jumping timing, it wouldn't be jumping back, unless you're talking about the ignition timing maps... Not sure about the bikes, but I've had cars running too lean or fuel not coming on soon enough and causing backfiring. Could the popping at idle be due to wastegate issue where its still pushing boost at idle?

I have it running on the safe side of rich so Im pretty sure its not lean pops, but I did notice the feed line from the gas tank to the external fuel pump had a slight leak could it be pulling in air? But as I said it goes back and forth randomly so i would think the fuel line wouldn't be plugging and unplugging Im going to replace it today anyway.

Velocity racing (now rpm performance cycles) stage 1 kit. Im uploading a video of it now. Sounds like a damn subaru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive uploaded 2 videos to my youtube my channel is "jer8dv" I posted a link but it has to be verified thru admin first.
Its a velocity racing stage 1.

So I unplugged the injectors 1 by 1 and they all make it run worse EXCEPT the injector on the furthest outside on left side of bike. Not sure which cyclinder number that is but unplugging the injector didnt affect if at all. So bad injector?

After replacing the injectors, injector harness, throttle bodies and spark plugs I found that the cylinder still wasn't getting fuel. Then I unplug the power commander and the problems gone. All along it was the pc3 *facepalm*

I usually suspect piggybacks like pc's and fmu's before I suspect the bikes hard parts. The add on parts will often give trouble first :banghead: Glad you got it sorted tho :thumbsup:

Back