2006 LE Fuel Filter Correct or not?

JW983

Registered
Ive tried searching the forums and its brought me a few dead ends. One useful thread I found was for a Gen 1, but seems to be different than my 06' LE. Following the steps has lead me to this point, and wondering if I am correct in assuming that this already has an inline fuel filter!? If so should I upgrade? Seems to stall at high rev. Rides fine but if you crack the throttle it sometimes shuts off as if cold or carb. Sorry for the newb question, tried to find out the answer first lol???

20141201_205042.jpg

20141201_205116.jpg

20141201_205124.jpg

What you have there is NOT factory.

After market - so you might just replace the whole unit.
Unless you can take it apart and clean it - shouldn't be to much $$ to just replace it.

Might try some Seafoam if you haven't already.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I use Tier 1 gas when ever I can.

The fuel filter is in the tank,
What your pointing to is a vacuum can

Also the OEM fuel filter from the dealer is Over $250.

Look it up on online part stores, its in with the Pump Assembly

You can try back flushing. I haven't had much luck with that. I been using a lot of gen2 pump assembly's lately. Due to the fact they are newer and usually less miles.

Wow, OK thank you! Are these also the cheap paper ones or possibly cleanable?

There is a mesh screen in there that can be cleaned.
I don't think the "filter" can be.

I called Suzuki USA about why a fuel filter should cost $329 and of course they couldn't give me an answer. :banghead:

Below link is from a post I did back in 2010. There are pictures of the screen I'm talking about etc. Hope this helps

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...y-poor-running-busa-need-advise-please-5.html

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Since my tank is at the paint shop, I guess I'll pull the plugs. However it's only when throttle is cracked fast is when it cuts out.

I would pull the injectors too.

If you looked at the whole post then you should have seen the injectors etc.
Maybe they are fine - but it only takes a few minutes to find out.

More than likely your filter is clogged or clogging. They're two filters that are part of the fuel pump. One is a screen that catches large crap and the other is of another material and catches small particles. That one gets clogged over time and restricts flow. It's very easy but somewhat expensive to fix. There's a number of threads on here, including a filter bypass thread you might be interested in.

If you want to bypass the factory filter (not strainer), you have 2 choices. Gut the factory filter housing and run an inline filter outside the tank or remove the whole fuel pump assy and modify for an external pump and regulator.

As far as gutting the factory filter housing, I personally would not do the whole break up the filter inside and hope you get all of it flushed out technique. I opened mine up and removed the filter. I then used the best epoxy for POM (Polyoxymethylene an Acetal Resin plastic) and plastic welded it back together. Pressure tested it up to 40psi for leaks. Re-assembled and used a small inline filter to the injectors. Works great along with my Bosch intank pump.

Back