2006 fuel pump dissasembly and clean

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
i started to get hesitation and sluggishness at 7500 and above and if i cracked the throttle wide open...so at 45k miles i am now cleaning my pump :thumbsup:

pump1.JPG

pump2.JPG

pump3.JPG

pump4.JPG

pump5.JPG

pump6.JPG

pump7.JPG

pump8.JPG

pump9.JPG

pump10.JPG

pump11.JPG

Do yourself a huge favor and replace your filter now or you will just be doing it again in a few hundred miles.

What he ^ said. That screen looks like a used coffee filter from some "greasy spoon" resturant. :laugh:

Rubb.

I really want to do this but I am scared to death to touch it. Scared I will break something.

Chris, Make sure that plastic clip holding the pressure regulator is tight against the filter where it clips on. My buddies fell off after we did a cleaning and his bike wouldn't run. If you get a new filter its comes with the FPR and the clip.

being as I have to start diving into that very component, I would LOVE some pix of the tank/removal process :)

Tank removal?

First use up all the gas you can.
A light tank is easier to handle.

If you don't have the plugs (like my bike didn't) then golf tee's will work to plug the two hoses.
If your low on gas that will help reduce any spillage.

Take the battery out - I'm assuming you have a Gen I.

Then unbolt the 2 bolts that face downward and take the whole hinge assembly off.
This is easier then trying to get the 4 bolts on the hinge off.

That is about it for tank removal.

I did a post a few years back on the whole process of taking the pump apart and even cleaning the injectors off.

Hope that helps

Mine did the same thing 2 yrs ago,so i took apart and cleaned the pickup screen,not much you can do with filter,bike ran alot better but noticed last week at high rpm it hesitated,sooooo i have a new filter coming this week,$290 plus got a new o-ring to...

Tank removal?

First use up all the gas you can.
A light tank is easier to handle.

If you don't have the plugs (like my bike didn't) then golf tee's will work to plug the two hoses.
If your low on gas that will help reduce any spillage.

Take the battery out - I'm assuming you have a Gen I.

Then unbolt the 2 bolts that face downward and take the whole hinge assembly off.
This is easier then trying to get the 4 bolts on the hinge off.

That is about it for tank removal.

I did a post a few years back on the whole process of taking the pump apart and even cleaning the injectors off.

Hope that helps

actually i only had to take off the seat...if you lower the tank you can reach the tank assembly bolts with a extension no issues...

What he ^ said. That screen looks like a used coffee filter from some "greasy spoon" resturant. :laugh:

Rubb.

took cans of carb cleaner and with the small hose sprayed the crap out of it both directons of the screen. not white but not clogged either now

actually i only had to take off the seat...if you lower the tank you can reach the tank assembly bolts with a extension no issues...
Chris is right there...I had my 2000 busa apart so many times it wasn't funny.That was 10+ years ago when we were just making and sharing these how-to's.
If you want to take the tank off for any reason...
Grab a 5 dollar squeeze pump from yer local parts store,then you can just pump 98% of the fuel into a white bucket (the white makes it easy to see if there is any crap in the fuel/tank). One or 2 pumps and then the siphon action takes over.

RSD.

Mine did the same thing 2 yrs ago,so i took apart and cleaned the pickup screen,not much you can do with filter,bike ran alot better but noticed last week at high rpm it hesitated,sooooo i have a new filter coming this week,$290 plus got a new o-ring to...

you mean that plastic thing that is the "filter"... its sealed at the top with something or just melted together...and ebay started for used ones 150 and up to 600 for new ....dont you think they could have made a simpler set up??

Aftermarket fuel pumps from companies like Bosch for cheap on ebay and elsewhere if wanted. Just have to make sure it pumps at the same volume as a stocker,and there is a test for that.A few folks on here have installed them instead of paying suzuki's redic price.

RSD.

Bosch 69420 is higher volume replacement. Local all i found was over $200 Got one on amazon next day shipping for $90. It is however not a direct bolt in, takes some simple modifications

Wow I was thinking I should clean my filter / change it but at those rediculous prices ....I never thought a filter could cost so much

Back