2005 Model: Overheating Solution

steelhead

Registered
Thermostat replaced. No more overheating.

Gripe: This was a brand new 2005 Hayabusa. Brand new!

If you overheat at intersections and slow traffic, change the darn thing for peace of mind.

I can't believe it. What a huge waste of time. 1 Year of reading countless solutions, but not for one moment did I think it could be that.

SteelHead.

Thanks for the info...
BTW,that's B/S!! Brand new bike???
mad.gif

One overheat from air in the system ect can help the T-Stat spring to take a set , new or 10 years down the line.

A water pump goes out on a car and a new T-Stat is automaticaly on the list of replacement parts .

Did you replace it with a new stock T-stat or aftermarket? On our trip to to the sturgis rally this year ( in august), my new '06, my buds '05, and another buds '06 all almost overheated sitting in VERY SLOOOOW stop-n-go traffic..just wondering....I'm gonna get me some of that "Engine Ice coolant" before next springs weather starts warming up...don't really need it now....the weather's starting to really get nice here in the South now (Mississippi)
rant.gif

I replaced it with a brand new stock thermostat. I am so pi**ed.

I didn't do engine ice, no new oil, no chain tensioning, no adjustments...nothing. Just the (beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep)....thermostat.

I had done everything else...you know, removing the air bubbles...all of that - to no avail.

The feeling is good, but discomforting. I went from red blinking gauge light: "your bike is melting, you're in sh*t, to...hey, I'm ok now."

The mechanic at the dealership REFUSED to consider the thermostat. I had to take it to another independent mechanic who said thermostat (3 mechanics said it was thermostat, too). The dealer tells me just to avoid traffic..avoid driving slow...so it doesn't overheat. What kind of answer is that? I'm dumbfounded.

What the he** is the use of the warranty on a 2005 Hayabusa? The dealer even said it was normal though my friend's bike (2002) didn't do it.

firedevil.gif

Thermostat. Peace of mind.

I apologize for the rant. But 1 year!!! Hours of reading manuals and threads.

(steelhead @ Sep. 22 2006,11:38) I replaced it with a brand new stock thermostat. I am so pi**ed.

I didn't do engine ice, no new oil, no chain tensioning, no adjustments...nothing. Just the (beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep)....thermostat.

I had done everything else...you know, removing the air bubbles...all of that - to no avail.

The feeling is good, but discomforting. I went from red blinking gauge light: "your bike is melting, you're in sh*t, to...hey, I'm ok now."

The mechanic at the dealership REFUSED to consider the thermostat. I had to take it to another independent mechanic who said thermostat (3 mechanics said it was thermostat, too). The dealer tells me just to avoid traffic..avoid driving slow...so it doesn't overheat. What kind of answer is that? I'm dumbfounded.

What the he** is the use of the warranty on a 2005 Hayabusa? The dealer even said it was normal though my friend's bike (2002) didn't do it.

firedevil.gif

Thermostat. Peace of mind.

I apologize for the rant.  But 1 year!!! Hours of reading manuals and threads.
Now let an old timer provide some advice, so you and others will be so armed for similar future issues...

All you had to do, to test your NEW or OLD thermostat was to place it in a pot of water and heat the water to a boil. The thermostat should open long before the pot of water ever reaches a boil. You don't even need a thermometer!
wink.gif

Now, that doesn't sound too hard, does it? Are we feeling a little inadequate at the moment? (I'm just poking a little fun here.
laugh.gif
)

Try not to be pi**ed. It was a learning experience you will likely never forget for its somewhat untimely resolution, and a lesson never forgotten is a lesson well learned.
beerchug.gif

One overheat from air in the system ect can help the T-Stat spring to take a set , new or 10 years down the line. A water pump goes out on a car and a new T-Stat is automaticaly on the list of replacement parts [/Quote]

Old school
super.gif

Take the receipts to the stealership and ask them to file a warranty claim on your behalf. Tell them they were too stupid to fix the problem so you went to a qualified mechanic to solve the issue that was well within warranty coverage. Tell them all you want is your money back. If nothing else get cali's number from them and file it yourself letting home office that their wonderful service representative couldn't solve the overheating issue so you went to a qualified shop. If nothing else it will make your point and you'll get a chuckle out of watching them squirm... I'm a little vindictive at times
firedevil.gif

(MoosesBusa @ Sep. 22 2006,18:10) Take the receipts to the stealership and ask them to file a warranty claim on your behalf. Tell them they were too stupid to fix the problem so you went to a qualified mechanic to solve the issue that was well within warranty coverage. Tell them all you want is your money back. If nothing else get cali's number from them and file it yourself letting home office that their wonderful service representative couldn't solve the overheating issue so you went to a qualified shop. If nothing else it will make your point and you'll get a chuckle out of watching them squirm... I'm a little vindictive at times  
firedevil.gif
agree totally..

(coop65sr @ Sep. 21 2006,23:27) Did you replace it with a new stock T-stat or aftermarket? On our trip to to the sturgis rally this year ( in august), my new '06, my buds '05, and another buds '06 all almost overheated sitting in VERY SLOOOOW stop-n-go traffic..just wondering....)
rant.gif
I rode mine to Sturgis this year. Last year I had the overheating issues in the traffic, installed a Muzzy fan and it hasn't been overheated since.

Thanks for posting this thread. Just in the last minute, I've learned a lot about overheating and what to watch for.

Still, I feel your pain. My bike NEVER overheats. When the guage gets to halfway, the fan kicks on and it stays right there, even on the hottest days.

--Wag--

BTW, this was a Ducati and Suzuki Dealership. Recently, they lost their Ducati dealership rights. I wonder why.

Don't be upset, your problem is solved, and you did not damage anything else such as a warped head or blown head gasket etc. Glad you found the problem. Now cool off yourself by going for a ride.
biggrin.gif

Back