2005 Hayabusa Fuel Issues

Will keep this thread updated on my findings. Should have time to work on it tonight or Friday.

So got some wrench time on it tonight. Plugs were wet after bike cranked for a while. So it's getting fuel. I'm leaning toward battery now. I don't have a jump pack so I tried to jump it off my car and it seemed to want to start when it would first crank off the car but still wouldn't start. I have a duralast battery from autozone so I took it there tonight to exchange it and that just pissed me off. 90 day warranty! Missed it by like 30 days! So no exchange. Tomorrow I'll look at local shops to find one and see if that fixes it. Really don't know what else it could be since it's getting fuel for sure now.

I tried jumping it off my buddy car the night it died. didn't give it much time to charge before trying it since the bike was already cranking over fast. But it didn't make a difference. Its at my buddys house and he said the trickle charger is now indicating full charge and it still won't start...obviously the basics tells us it can only be 3 things, Fuel, Air, or Spark. And I saw the plugs sparking. Nothing restricting air, so when I get home I'm gonna look into fuel system. if it was timing wouldn't it still pop and spit like it was trying to start instead of just dry cranking?
Fuel air and spark are all well and good, if they are happening at the right time, that's where the Ecu comes into play and that is governed by sensors, if a faulty sensor is telling the Ecu to the spark at the wrong time or inconsistently, then the bike will not run, no matter how much electrical power is fed to the bike.

Fuel air and spark are all well and good, if they are happening at the right time, that's where the Ecu comes into play and that is governed by sensors, if a faulty sensor is telling the Ecu to the spark at the wrong time or inconsistently, then the bike will not run, no matter how much electrical power is fed to the bike.

Sorry, don't think you are right one this one. Let's see what the OP comes up with . . .

He said his bike battery was cranking the bike fine and that he had already jumped it of his car, that's the same as attaching a jumper pack, a running car/bike charge rate is around 13.7v, unless his battery has a dead cell, drawing all the power from the bike and the donor vehichle, a jumper pack is basically doing the same thing as a jump start, from another vehicle.
Wet plugs on a bike with a spark, suggests that his fuel pressure is low, injectors not opening properly, contaminated fuel, his plugs have had it, his spark is weak, the spark is happening at the wrong/inconsistent time or his mechanical timing is out (unlikely).
Certainly be interesting to know the cause.

I'm out on the road traveling again. But I replaced plugs before I left, and had my battery tested and it was good. I even had a jump pack put on it with no luck. Still the same thing. Cranks and cranks and after a few cranks you can smell fuel again. I'm just at a loss. Idk what to look at next. Do I just buy a PCV and see if that fixes it? I just don't wanna throw parts at it. Again no codes, all plugs sparking, and getting fuel, possibly too much fuel causing it to flood immediately. I'll pull fuel rail and injectors when I get home mid week and see what's happening with those when I turn key on. I feel like its possibly a stock ecu issue but no clue. It's quite depressing that I'm missing the best part of riding season here's in Missouri. I can't thank ALL of you enough for your help thus far.

Can you do a fuel pressure test? If your fuel pressure is too low, it will run bad and cause bad starting.
I did a hellov a lot of work on mine and gained a lot of experience, chasing a faulty ckps (crankshaft position sensor), I pretty much eliminated everything and found other lesser issues along the way, one of my threads shows how I tested the fuel pressure and injectors, I'll find the link.

Here it is, at least eliminate the fuel pump and injectors, if pump pressure and injector pattern looks good, I'd be looking at cam shaft position sensor (there's a test you can do, can't remember it at the mo but it's quite straight forward), it is only used during starting or ckps being faulty, producing a weak spark or causing the spark to happen inconsistently.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/hayabusa-gen-1-misfiring-suspect-injectors.191048/

Thanks! I'll do that FP test when I get home this week! And then move onto cam position sensor. If the sensor was bad, would it throw a code?

If anyone has a link to a FSM for a 2005 Hayabusa i'd gladly take it. Otherwise it looks like i need to order one. Not having much luck on finding the sensor tests through google.

Finally got around to doing a fuel pressure test today. When i took the hose off the pump fuel poured out, is that normal? I feel like it shouldnt flow unless on? When i hooked the pressure tester up and turned the bike on, a little fuel trickeled out of the pump into the cleat tubing, i feel like that should pressurize the line right? Then when cranking fuel just trickled out and still woulnt fill the tube, gauge stayed at 0 psi. Here's a video i took on my cell phone . Looks like a dead pump to me unless im doing something wrong.

Finally got around to doing a fuel pressure test today. When i took the hose off the pump fuel poured out, is that normal? I feel like it shouldnt flow unless on? When i hooked the pressure tester up and turned the bike on, a little fuel trickeled out of the pump into the cleat tubing, i feel like that should pressurize the line right? Then when cranking fuel just trickled out and still woulnt fill the tube, gauge stayed at 0 psi. Here's a video i took on my cell phone . Looks like a dead pump to me unless im doing something wrong.

if you pull the pipe off the fuel in the fuel rail will come out but no fuel should come out from the fuel pump side, when putting the ignition on (no cranking) and during cranking the pressure should stay the same, about 42 or more psi, your gauge should register the pump pressure, if it doesn’t and you 100% know that your gauge is ok, then you may have found your problem.
one thing that could throw you, is if there is a valve in the pressure gauge, that is stopping a reading being shown but i doubt it, another thing, is the filter, in the moulded sealed plastic assembly, that the pump is connected too, if yours is clogged, this could cause the pump to burn out or just stop pump pressure, from reaching your injectors, either way, looks like you need a new pump, at the very least.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your alls help, can't thank you enough. I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump, the bike has 18k miles and if it is just clogged I'd rather not put a pump thats been stressed out from running clogged back into the bike. So if I'm going to take it out I'm going to replace it, also go ahead and do the fuel filter mod that Jermzfree suggested. 1 Last question however, I plan on going forced induction down the road, and before that just getting a good NA tune, does anyone see any reason why the pump in this link wouldn't work? I really like the idea that it's E85 compatible, that will come in handy down the road for sure, and I've always had good luck with AEM products. I know its triple the price of an OEM replacement but if I'm going to be putting in one for boosted application in a year or 2 id rather do it now. This one should direct swap into the OEM pump assembly correct? Looks like it has the correct PSI as well. I really can't see any reason it wouldn't work just as well as an OEM, and still have enough left over for when the bike is making more power down the road.

https://store.schnitzracing.com/aem...e85-fuel-pump-suzuki-gsx1300r-hayabusa-01-12/

It might work for a turbo application, but the stock regulator would need to go. Don't know if you can do an internal pump and regulator, but that would be pretty slick. Mine like most typical setups have an external pump/fmu.

Just wanted to share with everyone, that I confirmed it is a fuel delivery issue this afternoon. After my 0 PSI fuel pump test yesterday I decided to order new pump today and go ahead and get the tank off the bike and ready for pump swap. While I had the tank off I decided to just see what the bike would do with a little starting fluid. MAN was it good to hear that thing run for about 5 seconds! Like hearing from a long lost friend lol! Pump I ordered is below, none of the ones I had previously posted. Using my Amazon prime to have it here Wednesday, so hopefully I'll have an even better update Wednesday that will end this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S85M3I/?tag=amzhayabusa-20

Back