2004 YZF R1

Oh! I live in kansas, unfortunately there are dirt clods on the long roads we have here. Can't seem to keep the Hillbilly rednecks from driving in their pastures.LOL

Look at it this way guys and gals:  If you have two weight lifters, where one can lift a maximum of 800#s and the other can lift a max of 500#s and you ask them both to lift a barbell 500#s  as many times as they can, both are capable of lifting the weight but the stronger lifter works less to lift the weight and can lift it many more times. Where as the weaker lifter works much harder to lift the sames weight limiting him to less reps than the stronger man.  My Suzi (03 busa) is the same. Her engine is so strong (dyno 170 rwhp) that she never struggles to go fast in any situation.  This strength translates in to big power without high revs, making a smooth/stabile platform. So instead of screaming the revs towards redline to get at the hp and torque making the engine work hard and vibrate on its suspension my Suzi goes blisteringly fast while staying smooth and stable.
I've ridden a Ducati 919 and my wrists and body couldn't take more than 45 minutes.
The changes I've made involve making her lighter and handle better. For me, I don't need more hp/torque (yet anyway-I've had her about 6 months-I'm not discounting the turbo itch) I'm looking for a bit more flickability.
Too long winded-long live the king!

Look at it this way guys and gals:  If you have two weight lifters, where one can lift a maximum of 800#s and the other can lift a max of 500#s and you ask them both to lift a barbell 500#s  as many times as they can, both are capable of lifting the weight but the stronger lifter works less to lift the weight and can lift it many more times. Where as the weaker lifter works much harder to lift the sames weight limiting him to less reps than the stronger man.  My Suzi (03 busa) is the same. Her engine is so strong (dyno 170 rwhp) that she never struggles to go fast in any situation.  This strength translates in to big power without high revs, making a smooth/stabile platform. So instead of screaming the revs towards redline to get at the hp and torque making the engine work hard and vibrate on its suspension my Suzi goes blisteringly fast while staying smooth and stable.
I've ridden a Ducati 919 and my wrists and body couldn't take more than 45 minutes.
The changes I've made involve making her lighter and handle better. For me, I don't need more hp/torque (yet anyway-I've had her about 6 months-I'm not discounting the turbo itch) I'm looking for a bit more flickability.
Too long winded-long live the king!

<!--EDIT|birdude
Reason for Edit: "double post"|1072818011 -->

Ahhh yes the 04 R1. These guys are right, apples to oranges. Which one tatstes better to you?

For all out drag racing purposes, stock to stock, it'll be close. No way to tell who will win until it happens. The cool thing about R1's is they are such a handful to ride, it increases the fun factor two fold, even if they are not as fast. Kinda like riding a 2 stroke vs a four stroke dirt bike. Everything comes at a compromise.

R1's do not have the torque of a busa. but believe me they got plenty, not like a 600 or a 750, they got good nut. Even with the busas mucho torque down low, you gotta keep them rpms way up to be fast.

If Suzuki would get off their butts, update the bus...... How about drop 80 pounds put some better brakes on it, keep the motor, and keep it comfortable. Makes my mouth water thinking about it.

Ps I have an 04 R1 on order. As soon as it gets into my hands I'll let you all know how it is. My last bike was an 00R1 and I freaking loved it!!!!!!!
eyes.gif

I agree with all the posters who bring up the apples to oranges comparison. Even though the performance numbers from the factory may begin to blur due to competition. I think that for the straight line performance crowd, the Busa will continue to hold the most potential. Lower, stretch, stroke, boost a Busa and then do the same to any of the liter bikes. Of course you'll quickely realize the limited options you have to perform these mods on a liter bike, but that is part of the equation as well. I've never piloted a Busa but I imagine the ass dyno would be rocking compared to my '03 R1 because of that cubic grunt factor.

Lance

No matter how fast the others go, I can always tweak the Busa to go faster..... Bring it on Suzuki competitors.
muscle.gif

You know Suzuki has to have been formulating a "plan B" to keep the bike on top. Maybe if they see a real threat they will unload it. I don't think they would let the well established reputation, and the good business that follows, go by the wayside as someone else took over the top spot. Think about it, this is a bike that sells itself, with virtually no advertising on there part, and has a cult following. That will not be let go of so easily.
rock.gif

155 to the rear on the r1 then the hayabusa puts out around 157 to the rear making almost no difference especially since there is almost a 100 pound difference in weight.
There is a difference...  TORQUE.  

Not sure what the #'s this thing will put out, but I guarantee it won't be anywhere near BUSA torque.

<!--EDIT|BusaFever
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072849333 -->

You know Suzuki has to have been formulating a "plan B" to keep the bike on top. Maybe if they see a real threat they will unload it. I don't think they would let the well established reputation, and the good business that follows, go by the wayside as someone else took over the top spot. Think about it, this is a bike that sells itself, with virtually no advertising on there part, and has a cult following. That will not be let go of so easily.
rock.gif
So true!!
umnik.gif

R1 is 180 at the crank with the air box under pressure. Suzuki is claiming 152bhp for the GSXR1000. Thats what Yamaha and Honda are shooting for 150-155bhp. I can't wait to see a shoot out GSXR1K,R1,CBR1K,ZX10. Busa still has about 20 more ft lbs of torque than any of these bikes.

there is no way that any of the 2004 liter bikes will be able to touch the Busa in the 1/4 mile. Even if the RWHP is in the 150's for all these new bikes, (and I think not), the dyno statistic that is important for 1/4-mile times is the total area under the power curve - which requires torque and displacement. So, power to weight ratio can be really misleading for 1/4 mile times.

The Busa will still be the King - no worries.
Oh, you are sooooo wrong young busarider...

even the 2003 gixxer1k will beat the busa on the 1/4mi.

is 8hp enough to match the 100lb difference between them? no.

not starting a piss'n match, just putting out the fire.
grim.gif

Only the most skilled drag racers on a gixxer 1000 will beat a busa. The 1000 is clearly the tougher bike to master at the strip

I have yet to even see a worked 1000 beat a almost stock but lowered Busa.

Yeah But that R1 is awfully pretty. I like the idea of shaving 50-80 pounds off the Busa, freshen the bodywork, maybe go ahead and add about 10-12 HP, Keep the all day comfort, keep the unique styling (Just freshen).

All the bench racing going on on this thread is a little silly though, when we are talking this level of bike on real world roads it's all going to come down to the rider. When we are talking 1/4 with a Busa VS a Litre bike it's all about the rider and the fact that the Busa is going to be easier to get down the track in a hurry. Don't forget that according to Motorcyclist Magazine the stock Busa Ran a 9.88 1/4, the GSXR1000 did not, but it all comes down to the rider...

Right with you on that one Rev. But I think the stock Busa in question ran a 9.48 w/ keith dennis as pilot.

Right again Rev-man. Mild mods, but definite mods. The bottom line is the 1000, or R1 are both incredible bikes on a closed course. The squrillyness factor is a major issue w/ the liter bikes. A friend has a 03' 1000, w/ the same work done to it as my bike. It makes about 180hp to the wheel, and he weighs about 155lbs soaked. He can flick the bike through the turns,but you should see him try to twist hard on a straight or out of a turn (circus on two wheels!!
laugh.gif
) I beat him on a ZX-6 just because he was saluting the sky the whole time.

I better stop while Im ahead, I dont want to red light on this bench race
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back