2004 Won't start when hot

greg3852

Registered
Been doing a lot of reading here, and have read many similar threads. Seems like this is a common problem, but it seems like most people don't come back and share their fixes or never figure it out.

So here I go. 2004 with 13K miles. Drove fine no issues, drove 500 miles in a one day trip, no issues. Few weeks later one day I notice it was slow to start after riding for a while. Next day took it for a ride and it wouldn't start back up after getting gas. Figured it was a battery, so bought a new Yuasa and dropped it in. Took it for a ride after charging it and it still did the same thing after getting hot. I know this battery is good as it starts right up after cooling down.

Tested the stator, forgot the number but around 80-VAC
Tested ohms on stator nothing showed up
Tested R/R using diode function and no irregularities.
Voltage while running at idle is 12.9-13.1ish
Voltage at 5000rpm is 14.1-14.4

I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any? Starter getting too hot? I've read other threads where people have changed them out and it still happened. Should I do the 4ga battery cables? Or buy a cheap R/R on eBay just to test it? Any help is appreciated.

Does it crank over OK or is it always slow once warm....it could be as simple as a bad cable at the starter or starter solenoid.

Could be a starter clutch, Starter, Battery, what is the voltage while cranking when its hot?

Voltage drops to 9 or 8 when cranking while hot.

Up until the first time it started happening, it used to crank perfect, then since that first day I had an issue it is extremely slow maybe turn over once if that. Sounds like the battery is completely dead. But after cooling off it'll start right up. That's why I'm leaning towards something broke because this was never an issue before until it seemed like something broke one day.

Also, bike is completely stock. I mean stock as in it still has the full factory rear fender and all. That stock.

Have your battery load tested, sound's like a dead cell in the battery.
Busa coils will not fire under 10 volts!

My 08 sometimes does this also ands its very annoying in my case I think its the battery in which case test good however the more I ride the bike it becomes less of a problem ? did a search here and it looks like its a common problem but no one really has the answer good luck with yours let us know what fixes it :thumbsup:

Have your battery load tested, sound's like a dead cell in the battery.
Busa coils will not fire under 10 volts!

I'll try it, but it is a brand new battery and it did the exact same thing with the old battery and the new one. I know it could be possible that I bought one with a bad cell, but odds are against it. Also it worked fine with the old battery for months before this issue appeared one day which leads me to think something broke vs slowly going bad. But I will rule that out.

I'm also going to replace the wiring with 4ga to see if that helps anything.

Mine did same thing last night @ races they were hot lapping us it started but struggled new battery
bike was hot as firecracker

I read someplace that running a thicker gauge wife for the ground would fix this issue. Haven't had the problem since I went to 24v starting system, which also has thicker wire.

You can not go wrong with 24 volt! I have it on my big bore bike and highly recommend it!

An other question, you said you have a new battery, What kind is it?

New battery is yuasa yt12a-bs. I know it only has 175 cca, but I believe it is the stock battery for the bike. I have 4ga wire already, so I'm going to rewire it and see if it works. If not I think I'll pull the starter and have it tested along with the battery. I will keep the thread updated.

I dont know how to instal 24v in a busa but from my marine knowledge, i will tell you your gonna need to rune two 12v batteries in series but isolated only to a beefed up starter

Well I did all the wiring to 4ga and it did absolutely nothing. Still won't start when hot. Exactly the same. All my connections are good everything is tight, same thing. It did however seem to crank over faster when cold, but could be in my head. It started right up took it for a quick blast down the highway and back, and pulled over on a hill (just in case) Shut it off and went to start it. Brr barely a slight turn over. Pop started it and drove home.

I'm guessing my next step is pulling the starter or trying to replace the R/R with a cheap eBay one just to see if it works (even if for only one day, I know they are junk).

Any suggestions on which one to try?

Ok, I just remembered something. I still have my "old" battery that most likely is fine. Should I try to wire it up in 24 volt and see how that works? I think I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Ok, I just remembered something. I still have my "old" battery that most likely is fine. Should I try to wire it up in 24 volt and see how that works? I think I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

You will have to isolate the starter. If you just wire the bike I would think the rest of the system would not like it.

I wired in the second battery using the schematics I found on here. It is isolated and they are running in series. I know I'll have to throw the battery tender on the second battery every once in a while which I have no issues with. I had an extra battery tender connection so I threw it on the second battery.

I put it in the trunk area in the back of the bike. I have foam that I used to use to insulate CPU's when overclocking with Dry Ice, that fit perfectly all the way around the battery locking it in there tight. Also a little bonus was the plastic piece on the seat holds it perfectly against the back almost like it was designed for it.

Well the test. First start cold that thing turned like a raped ape. Started right up went for a nice warm up ride. Same ride that had previously killed it. Stopped in the same spot and shut it off. Went to start it back up and vroom. Started right up just like when it was cold. Did it a couple more times just to prove it.

So for anyone looking for how to fix this issue, the 24v system is the answer. All my other components were good. Everything checked out fine. Only making it a 24v starting system did it fix my issue. I also completely wired it in 4ga wire but that did not work alone. Needs 24v.

Thank you to everyone who helped and offered suggestions. I will post up some pictures of my setup when I get a chance. Right now I'm going riding. It's nice not to have to worry if I'm going to have to push this beast to pop start it.

Back