2004 TT Races - First fatality

Delboybusa

Registered
Oh Dear!

They only started the first practice session a few hours ago and a 44 years old Frenchman and father of three, riding a 125cc Honda crashed on his first lap at Braddon Bridge and has died of his injuries.

Very sad start as 2004 will be an important year for the Isle of Man as they try to change the structure of the TT races ie no more 6 lappers (226miles) and the races more geared towards road-based bikes.

Delboybusa

I have "Always" wanted to ride the TT----those who do are a special breed of man or woman.....Just nut's---But i think if a rider is sane and good enough-
that person could survive such a wild place to race...just "ZERO" margin for mistakes. I will never forget an old lady seeing a guy crash hard into her yard...
bike in her bushes..rider dead under her piano...
rock.gif
 I'm still sad a rider died so soon this year...Brain wrist control-Period.

Isle of Man Time trials races awesome crazy speed where they block off the streets every year for a week or so the race has a lot of history but when they crash they crash big time ... curbs / trees / rock walls ... it aint no AMA race track with sand run off. It is located near England/Ireland/Scotland I hope they are running it on Speed Channel again this year. But last year the #1 guy died on his Gsxr 1k - David Jeffries

I.O.M.

another site

isle of man

The last one is the best

Oh and just found it - speed tv coverage starts Friday
speed tv

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086062245 -->

I spectated twice at the TT , in 1989 and 1990. It was very expensive to get there by boat (using the Island's ferry company) but there's no other way if you take a bike, very expensive to stay there as the hotels ramp up their prices for the TT fortnight.

Is it worth it, ooooooh yes! Because on what they call " Mad Sunday" you get the chance to take your bike on part of the circuit including the Mountain section where it's one way traffic, no speed limit. Unfortunately, every man and his dog i.e.buses,cars etc are allowed on it just like the NurburgRing so you have to take care. Is is scary?.....ooooh yes. Would I do it again?....oh yes.

Should every biker do it?..... Definitely!!!! It's absolutely unique. When you see the stone walls that the riders "touch" by helmet or shoulder, Kerrrrrriiiist!!!!

cheers
Delboybusa

That really sucks.......I watch those races once in a while......I think those guys are off kilter, I mean......it does look like fun, but it looks extremely dangerous too, and not cuz of the speed, but because of all the spectators a foot away from a bike doin 150mph+++.....one person steps out, or slips and lights out for both!!

My dream....to run the Isle of Mann....

As fer me being off-kilter, heheh....I suppose I'm one of the more looney ones around here.
laugh.gif

I'd still do it, though. I would love to take the Busa to a TT...I know I'll get my scarred azz beaten down like a kid with an ice-cream cone teasin everyone else, but still: to have one race, on the street, testing the potential to the fullest....I would do it.

Aaah....the joy of the ride!

Sorry to hear about that start! Always bad to hear a rider going down. I didnt know anything about the TT races before this post, so I have learned something already today. Sounds like it could be fun, but man do you have to be on your game!

Hawaiibusa mentioned the name of David Jeffries who was killed in a very bad accident last year at the TT.

His bike - a Gixer 1000 - went on to smash down a telephone pole and it left the wiring hanging across the road(circuit). Jim Moodie, a pretty fair Scots rider arrived at the scene, slowing slightly but the wires still ripped over his bikescreen and nearly decapitated him. Fortunately for him, the wire broke but the weal it left on his neck was horrific.

There are always US riders entered in the TT, its probably that they are not well known in the States. I see that someone called Monsanto from California is riding a MV in two or three races this year.

The ambience of the place, particularly Douglas promenade is fantastic throughout the fortnight (1st two weeks in June). Regardless of what the Jap factories say, they always want to do well at the TT as they know this will sell sports bikes in the UK and in some parts of Europe especially Germany.

I only wish I had gone there in the last Golden Period the mid 60s when it was all-out war between the factories in every class from 50cc upwards. I susequently met and helped sponsor one of my heroes of that era, Hugh Anderson, a Kiwi who won a couple of world titles in the 125cc class with Suzuki. But for me the greatest bike ever built is still the 6 cylinder Honda 250cc.

I used to live close to Brands Hatch (near London) and was fortunate to attend the Classic Festival put on there by John Surtees in the early 90s. there were 3 and 4 cylinder MVs, Benelli 4s and I think a Gilera and a near full set on Hondas 250 4s and 6s. However, I recall being at Brands in the mid 60s when standing about 3/4 of a mile away from the pits, I could hear Mike Hailwood blipping his 6....what a sound and of course it could only idle at 7,000 rpm!!!!!! Oh happy days.

One of the greatest duels in TT history is the race between Hailwood on the new but ill-handling Honda 500cc against Agostini on the MV 3. If you can get a copy of one of the many tapes DVDs on TT history, its always mentioned. Upshot was Ago was going to win when his chain snapped 10 miles out after 216 miles of racing.

cheers
Delboybusa

If you have never watched the Isle of Mann races I would highly suggest it. It is one of the craziest things you will ever see. The guys are a little off kilter but truly amazing riders.

Got to love the Isle of Mann TT and respect the riders. David Jefferies was one in a million and may he rest in peace.

Here is a great site to keep up on the TT

http://www.iomtt.com/index.asp

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086118763 -->

you wont see any factory riders in that race either which says something for the danger. i like how they get air over the intersections!

I saw Jeffries mentioned, but don't forget the KING Joey Dunlop. These guys have more courage than more than I know the TT is a legand in its own right these guy have the stones that clang I couldn't imagine racing having to contend with rock walls, curbs, sidewalks, buildings and no run off.

If you watch the on board video cams you begin to realize they have to "know" the track so well, they are literally leaning into the corner before they can even see it.  NUTS!  ( very cool though )
cool.gif

check this vid  - OUCH!

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086184789 -->

Anyone got any idea why I cant get any of the Hayabusa.org movies to work?

Movies didn't work for me either. Anyway...those races are the bomb. If you want to see some brave souls on some fast bikes on open roads don't miss it starting this Friday.  
firedevil.gif

race.gif

Here is the schedule:

Same Day coverage of the 2004 Isle of Man TT begins June 4th

Fri, Jun 4 - 11:30pm (30 mins.)
Sat, Jun 5 - 10pm (60 mins.)
Mon, Jun 7 - 10pm (60 mins.)
Wed, Jun 9 - 10pm (60 mins.)
Fri, Jun 11 - 12 midnight (60 mins.)

Tue, Jun 22 - 12pm (2 hour recap)

All times Eastern

<!--EDIT|flyboy