2004 problem

ILovePower

Registered
I've got a 04 red hayabusa and have broken it in like the manual said to. It now has a sound that sounds like a valve rattle in around the middle of the head on the right side. The sound started at about 375 miles and gotten worse as miles add up it would do it some times and some times it would not at first. I have now got about 900 miles on it. When I first start up the bike it don't do it but let it idle or ride it up to full operational tempature and as it gets warmer the sound starts up and it finally does it constant. Bike has never over heated or no other problems but this. Any ideas?

i have an '04, black and purple, the fastest color, and my steering damper makes the kind of sounds that your talking about. i have checked it pretty closely, and am not sure there is a cure, but at the same time it doesn't appear to be terminal. i have 3400+ mi. on mine.

as the bike settles in a bit, you may also pick up a few rattles on really rough roads from the body work up front, i have, and nothing is loose, just a few sounds to add to her personality.

all she's have to make some kind of noise to let us know that they are near by.

More info on the above post. If I turn off the motor for a few minutes and restart the motor while it is still hot it does not make the nosie. I just tried unhooking the battery for about 5 minutes and see if it may be resetting something. I have no idea what's up with it.

I've got a bit of a weird, metallic ticking or tapping noise, perhaps similar to that you describe, on my '04 LTD. I took it by the dealer, the shop foreman swears it's cam chain noise, I dunno.

I've got a 4-year extended warranty on this bike.

I'm riding more, worrying less. <shrug>

I have noticed the same noise as well. I have also been told by a few friends that race, that it is probalby cam chain noise, But it still shouldnt do it. Simple solution is cam tensioner.

The Busa's motor is pretty damned loud right out of the box. My recommendation is to quit listening to friends and others who have to real idea WTF it is and find some local Busa owners and listen to their bikes. Every Busa I have heard has all manner of Rattles and noises. Proof it was built by Suzuki. Specifically the Clutch is loud, knocking etc... Ride more worry less, listen to some other busa's and you'll prolly feel all better.

Weel the guy that told me about the cam noise races a 350 hp busa and owns his own shop, so I trust him. healso said it was normal and most busa's make that noise.

Don't worry about the ideas? Just take it back to the dealer.

I also have a 04.................No problems. Get it back before the warranty runs out.

Might get a new bike....................:)

The Busa's motor is pretty damned loud right out of the box.  My recommendation is to quit listening to friends and others who have to real idea WTF it is and find some local Busa owners and listen to their bikes.  Every Busa I have heard has all manner of Rattles and noises.  Proof it was built by Suzuki.  Specifically the Clutch is loud, knocking etc...  Ride more worry less, listen to some other busa's and you'll prolly feel all better.
My '04 makes all kinds of noises (rattles ect) when it's idling. I've got 900 miles on her now with no problems.

URBAN COWBOY

My '04 has just 150 miles right now, noticed the same metallic sounding tickling from the engine at 30 miles. To me its simply lifter / cam noise, nothing to make we worry. Asked the dealer for their thoughts, they felt the in-line 4s tend to be noisy.

Erik

My "04 Busa has 2500 miles on her and I have taken her back for the same noise. Shop says don't worry its normal. Also, noticed vibrations from front end, but everything tight. Clunking clutch noticed at around 1800, shop says I should learn to shift without clutch. never heard of that, anyone out there know what the heck they are trying to say?

My "04 Busa has 2500 miles on her and I have taken her back for the same noise. Shop says don't worry its normal. Also, noticed vibrations from front end, but everything tight. Clunking clutch noticed at around 1800, shop says I should learn to shift without clutch. never heard of that, anyone out there know what the heck they are trying to say?
Yes, they are saying shift without the clutch. You can just let off the gas for a split second and upshift. You do not need to pull in the clutch to upshift or downshift, Just be careful with the no clutch downshifting until you get used to it, You can easliy lock the rear tire for a sec if you don't get the RPMs right on the downshift. You really only need the clutch to start and stop the bike. Just practice, once you get used to it, you will wonder why you ever used the clutch.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Thats one of the advantages of owning/riding as many bikes as I have over the years......you learn whats normal and not. The Busa....and Suzuki's in general are one of the quieter engine designs. My LE 04 Busa is making the same normal sounds everyone elses is
wink.gif
tounge.gif
You wanna hear a rattly engine.....go listen to a Kawasaki....they will throw the new rider into a panic....and thats how they normally sound, I know, I've owned more Kawi's than anything else
wow.gif
blush.gif
laugh.gif
my GSXR 1100 and Busa are by far the two quietest, smoothest shifting bikes I've ever owned. A bikes not like a car....the engine isn't hidden away and muffled under a hood....its right under you...and your gonna hear it....so like Rev said...ride more, worry less. When something goes wrong I guarantee you will know it
wink.gif

wink.gif

my 04 has a odd tick to it as well but my old suzuki made the same noise and its still going strong so no worries. Couple of other Busas in the area have the similar noise to. Dont sweat it and Enjoy the Ride.

Just try draining all your oil,, should help with the sounds,,, ( Just Joking). My 03 HB makes noises, its normal.. If under warranty get it documented with dealer should anything arise latter ..
Ride on !
tounge.gif

I have an '04 and it makes all kinds of noises, but I like to hear all that stuff going on. I think the fairing tends to amplify the engine noises and direct them towards the rider.

I even like the "beam me up Scotty" noise the fuel pump makes when you turn the key...

I have an '04 and it makes all kinds of noises, but I like to hear all that stuff going on. I think the fairing tends to amplify the engine noises and direct them towards the rider.

I even like the "beam me up Scotty" noise the fuel pump makes when you turn the key...

Back