2004 Busa not starting

twiin640

Registered
Hello all. '04 stock Busa SE. Yes I mean totally stock. Stock exhaust, stock ecu, no power commander. Not even a different air filter. Approx. 3,200 miles, garage kept. Rode it approx. 3 weeks ago and it was running perfectly. Tried to start it a couple days ago, nothing. Starter just spins the motor. It's getting fuel because I can smell it. Checked the clutch switch, kickstand switch and handlebar on/off switch, they work fine. Sometimes a low oil level can stop starting on some vehicles so checked that, good. Even checked the gas in the tank to make sure there was some and maybe the gas gauge was wrong, half a tank of fuel. I learned a long time ago to start with the most simple items first and work deeper. While I know the basics for air, fuel, spark, I don't know the Busa very well, I just bought it in June. No I don't have a service manual yet but will be getting one. In the mean time.....

I'm thinking it's a spark / ignition issue so where should I start first? I haven't had time yet to pull a spark plug to see if it's firing. Every manufacturer has it's peculiarities. What are the peculiarities to Busa that I should check for? Does the Gen 1 have a certain circuit or switch fail over time, etc? I may end up "easter egging" around to find the problem and that's to be expected. I'm hoping that it's somthing simple and maybe someone has had something similar and can lead me to some big ticket items to check first. Anyhoo,
Thank you in advance for info.

Last edited:
I may have found, actually my neighbor may have found the problem. Appears to be the in tank fuel pump. It doesn't "spin up" when the key is turned on. Neighbor noticed it not making the buzzing sound when the key is turned on. I guess I just got used to the sound and didn't notice. To check the elec plug for proper voltage and possibly resistance, what should the correct readings be? Thanks in advance.

Back