2003 Fan Assy Replacement recommendations

CorrodedAlien

Registered
Hey all! been quite a while since I've posted. Got 65,000 miles on my Anni Orange '03! First problem.

I did search, did not see anything, but it's been a while...

The cooling fan motor is done. It overheated on me today and when I got home and turned off the motor w/ the electric still on, no fan sound. (It's a Muzzy aluminum fan, kinda loud when it runs)

The fan will free turn, not bound on anything.

I pulled the left fairing, seat and lifted the tank. Check the fuse, 10 amp, nice and clean.

pulled the relay switch connection off the radiator, clicks the hit w/ the multimeter, clicks...

Pulled the power off the fan harness, cleaned the connector for corrosion (live on the Pacifica) still nothing

Direct 12vDC from the battery to the motor, nothing.

Next? Got more troubleshooting?

The OEM:
FAN ASSY, RADIATOR LH
17820-15H00 $299 <--- wow

Alternatives?

Thanks!

Hey all! been quite a while since I've posted. Got 65,000 miles on my Anni Orange '03! First problem.

I did search, did not see anything, but it's been a while...

The cooling fan motor is done. It overheated on me today and when I got home and turned off the motor w/ the electric still on, no fan sound. (It's a Muzzy aluminum fan, kinda loud when it runs)

The fan will free turn, not bound on anything.

I pulled the left fairing, seat and lifted the tank. Check the fuse, 10 amp, nice and clean.

pulled the relay switch connection off the radiator, clicks the hit w/ the multimeter, clicks...

Pulled the power off the fan harness, cleaned the connector for corrosion (live on the Pacifica) still nothing

Direct 12vDC from the battery to the motor, nothing.

Next? Got more troubleshooting?

The OEM:
FAN ASSY, RADIATOR LH
17820-15H00 $299 <--- wow

Alternatives?

Thanks!
Have you checked the ground wire to the fan motor has continuity?

OK... 2003, Gen1...

The brown goes on the radiator to the relay, shorting it w/ the electric on gets a relay click.

the black to the right goes to the fan motor. No continuity on my meter, nothing happens when direct 12vDC applied from battery. I also pulled and replaced the fuse for the fan.

Next thoughts before I take to a short and drop $$$ to get it fixed...

OK... 2003, Gen1... View attachment 1601461

The brown goes on the radiator to the relay, shorting it w/ the electric on gets a relay click.

the black to the right goes to the fan motor. No continuity on my meter, nothing happens when direct 12vDC applied from battery. I also pulled and replaced the fuse for the fan.

Next thoughts before I take to a short and drop $$$ to get it fixed...
If you’re confident you have 12v to the fan motor and it’s grounded, and won’t run, well.... what else can it be??
You can put a test light into the fan harness connector plug, get the bike up to temperature and test the thermoswitch circuit to be sure that it’s working to switch on and power up the fan, if that checks out ok, new fan is in order... drop that $$$ lol.
How about buying a used fan from eBay or similar?? $299 is a lot of hay!

Thnx for the help... I need some other "Shop TLC" as well. Glad I'm doing a $$$$ contract right now, I can float the cost. Also time for the Throttle Body sync, Valves, Plugs, coolant flush, and that type of stuff... I don't have the space or the patience to do a lot of it myself.

As an aside, I'm running the Michelin Road 5's since early this year and they are great...

Thanks again Kiwi!

Back