2003 Busa speed restricted more than 2002

Spook1

Registered
Suzuki.Org has a post of a guy who claims his 2003 Busa is top-end limited to 177 miles an hour. Any of you 2003 owners agree? If this is true, would this keep you from buying a new 'Busa? Would you buy used instead? Opinions please.

<table style=filter:glow(color=#ff9900)>IF</table> it is in fact restricted more or even the same as 01 and 02, it will still be easy enough to derestrict. That will not prohibit the serious Busa lover from buying a new one.

Welcome to the board, Spook1. Weren't you here once before? Must have been before the great crash of 2002. I would still buy one just because it's still a Busa. That and you know it won't be long until someone figures out how the bypass the limiter.

200 mph is nice, but how often do you need it? I want the derestrictor for that reason too, but I wouldn't hesitate to own a new Busa nontheless.

Suzuki.Org has a post of a guy who claims his 2003 Busa is top-end limited to 177 miles an hour.  Any of you 2003 owners agree?  If this is true, would this keep you from buying a new 'Busa?  Would you buy used instead?  Opinions please.
I do remember reading somewhere an article that the 03 was going to be restricted more than the 02, 01, 00 etc. Wish I could remember the source, but I can't. Sorry! Cache is right though, just de-restrict it if you wish.

Rarely does the majority of people need to go over 200 mph. Yes someone will find a way to de-restrict but even if they don't, its still a 'busa. Thats all that matters

It's not keeping me from buying an '03. I don't think I'll ever reach the 150 mark let alone have the want to do 200. But, there will always be a hack to unrestrict anything that anybody puts a restriction on...it's just a matter of time. Just because there's a restriction on it doesn't mean that it's been dethroned as the nicest sport bike out there.

It does make a difference to me because I plan on racing my '03 Busa at Maxton as well as my car.  IF this is true I am 'damn'  mad because I could have purchased a new '02 for a couple hundred less AND NOWHERE in Suzuki's literature does it say that the '03s are any different (computer wise) than the '02s.  My understanding is that not only 6th gear is restricted but 5th and 4th are RPM limited as well.

It does make a difference to me because I plan on racing my '03 Busa at Maxton as well as my car.  IF this is true I am 'damn'  mad because I could have purchased a new '02 for a couple hundred less AND NOWHERE in Suzuki's literature does it say that the '03s are any different (computer wise) than the '02s.  My understanding is that not only 6th gear is restricted but 5th and 4th are RPM limited as well.
4th is not restricted on the 02. just 5th and 6th are restricted on the '02. easy enough to bypass also. don't let a piece of paper get you mad. specially if your gonna race it.

If you read an article that said you could not hit w.o.t. in your car in 1st gear, would you believe it?
rock.gif

This was planned and announced way back in 2000. The limit is to eventually go to 165. This is nothing at all to be surprised about.

With that said, the TRE probably still works this year. I have not seen it confirmed yet, but I doubt they covered that loophole since the agreement also stated that de-restrictors would be sold for race-only applications.

On another note, if anyone is trading ECUs, selling one, parting a wrecked bike, etc., let me know. I am looking for any year ECU at a fair price (like $50 or less) for some long planned R&D (preferably 2001+ and one from 2002+).

This was planned and announced way back in 2000. The limit is to eventually go to 165. This is nothing at all to be surprised about.

With that said, the TRE probably still works this year. I have not seen it confirmed yet, but I doubt they covered that loophole since the agreement also stated that de-restrictors would be sold for race-only applications.

On another note, if anyone is trading ECUs, selling one, parting a wrecked bike, etc., let me know. I am looking for any year ECU at a fair price (like $50 or less) for some long planned R&D (preferably 2001+ and one from 2002+).
From the post over at Suzukhayabusa.org, he states that 4th gear was/is limited to 10.2K RPM (and I guess if that is true then 5th is limited to 10.2K likewise). So even with a TRE, it doesn't help ....

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet, the details will have to be confirmed with multiple data points. The same thing happened when the 02s were released, someone said the TRE did not work. That notion persisted for quite some time despite numerous accounts to the contrary. The 02s are NOT restricted in 5th gear, everything works the same as the 01s except it has a 32 bit ECU.

bidwell

First of all WELCOME to the boards Spook. As for the restrictions i think regardless of what they say Suzuki is not going to do anything to irreversibly retard the timing. It would hurt them to much in regards to the sell of the bike. Now they can say they have "comformed", while making it easy enough for the buyer not to feel hassled by having to derestrict the bike. So its a win win. Whereas if they did something to permenantly retard the speed of the bike, many people might consider simply buying another bike (zx-12 or the gsx-r 1liter). So my $.02 says anything they put out will be easily derestricted.

I believe that was a misprint on the other board. He was going off the MPH on a full gear range run and estimating the RPMs. He did not do individual gear runs. I am sure it still hits 10800 in 4th and 5th.

Back