2002 Slow Cranking

Jose J Ortega

Registered
Hi guys,

Here is my situation: Starting my bike after 2 to 3 attempts the starter sound like the battery is dying but is not. Check battery voltage and is good and the Battery is on a Battery tender everyday. The previous owner told me that he had upgrade the fuel pump to provide more gas and that is why starts that way. The bike has no Power commander . Have not check yet the TPS. My plans is to upgrade the battery cable to 4w and to upgrade to a 03-04 starter case, pinions, pins, etc. Any info where to start will be appreciated

Not sure about the fuel pump upgrade that would cause that issue. How old is the battery and how are cca's. Voltage is good, but you need some amps behind it. Once you get it started you can check your rectifier with a voltmeter.

Not sure about the fuel pump upgrade that would cause that issue. How old is the battery and how are cca's. Voltage is good, but you need some amps behind it. Once you get it started you can check your rectifier with a voltmeter.

That you for your response Twotonevert. I just got the bike. I will check the cca and the date on the battery.

I think I saw a video on how to check rectifier. I will let you know

I've heard of a starter motor fault, where try he magnets inside the starter motor come detached and cause the motor to crank slowly , due to binding, previous owner fed you a 'yarn' concerning the fuel pump, it's hot nothing to do with slow cranking.

I would replace teh battery. You do not have the capability to check amps ona batt unless you have a load tester. Adding a new fuel pump will not make it turn over harder unless you are locking the cyl.

I've heard of a starter motor fault, where try he magnets inside the starter motor come detached and cause the motor to crank slowly , due to binding, previous owner fed you a 'yarn' concerning the fuel pump, it's hot nothing to do with slow cranking.

Good point David Offort. Will check the starter out.

I would replace teh battery. You do not have the capability to check amps ona batt unless you have a load tester. Adding a new fuel pump will not make it turn over harder unless you are locking the cyl.

I buy the case protector sleeve and the pin upgrade first to prevent any kick back during testing. Will upgrade the cables of the battery to 4w first.

I check the battery cca and is a 170. If it doesn't make any difference I will change it. Will keep you guys updated

Listen to Art ~ get a new battery *

s-l225.jpg

Ok guys I just started to remove the fairings. The starter case to check if all was ok. All looks good. Need to buy the Brooks case saver and pins for now. Waiting for the 4w cables to upgrade the battery/ starter cables. I notice a label that says 139.47 on the block?. Also which battery do you recommend me? Will upload some pics

With a volt meter check what the battery goes down to when you hit starter button, this will tell if battery is too weak. And I had a starter with the magnet come loose inside and it acted like this.

Question Firemanjim: If I check the magnet and is lose. I need to buy a new starter , tight the magnet or I have to rebuild it?

The magnets are bonded to the casing of the starter motor, with some kind of resin, if they have come loose, it might be possible to re bond them but for the amount of work involved, it would probably be more labour saving, to get another motor, new or secondhand and peace of mind.
I saw that post, about magnets coming loose on this site, so it could’ve been firemanjims post.
This is such a great site for troubleshooting strange problems.

The magnets are bonded to the casing of the starter motor, with some kind of resin, if they have come loose, it might be possible to re bond them but for the amount of work involved, it would probably be more labour saving, to get another motor, new or secondhand and peace of mind.
I saw that post, about magnets coming loose on this site, so it could’ve been firemanjims post.
This is such a great site for troubleshooting strange problems.

Thank you David Offor for the info and yes great site to try to figure out many strange problem. I do appreciate all ya people help

Any auto parts store or batteries plus store should be able to test your battery. You would be surprised at the crazy things these bikes do with a weak battery. (Don’t ask me how I know)

Thanks for the advice mapuba. I will check the battery this weekend.

Back