2001 turbo? How to derestrict

arthur39

Registered
Have my eye on a 2001 busa, concern is the 16 bit restricted ECU... anybody know easiest way to derestrict the Ecu without a TRE? Or do I have to change the ecu, harness etc. etc.,, which means I will look for an 02 or newer, just a real good deal on the 01 with low miles,,... just want to remove all restrictions for turbo without a tre (i like the ECU flash just won't work on these years), any opinions or ideas on this?? thanks

Art - I assume this means no luck on your bike?

Check out boostbysmith.com. For about $25 you can buy a switch/harness assembly that changes your system to 1-N-2-3-4-5-5 effectively eliminating the restriction and without the negative effects of a TRE. I have a covered switch that Greg put on mine rather than the normal one he uses so if you want to customize it send him an email with what you're after. He's a very accommodating guy and a great business person to deal with!

Here's a linky! http://www.boostbysmith.com/highgain.html Looks like the price is slightly higher than I quoted but still very reasonable and it WORKS!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
no luck, yet, have more info, just need to move forward at this point, weather is getting nicer, good idea on the harness, I'm gonna be patient, it's been a rough couple of months, selling everything and working extra to get something else, still some good deals out there, definately costs more early spring, I may wait, for something, Turbo is on next years agenda, major anti theft investments this year, as well as some other goodies :whistle:

no luck, yet, have more info, just need to move forward at this point, weather is getting nicer, good idea on the harness, I'm gonna be patient, it's been a rough couple of months, selling everything and working extra to get something else, still some good deals out there, definately costs more early spring, I may wait, for something, Turbo is on next years agenda, major anti theft investments this year, as well as some other goodies :whistle:

You might wanna check with Travis (fstbusa). He has an '03 Anniversary he was talking about selling, not sure if he sold it or not. He has a ghetto kit installed by motorhead on it.

Use an ATRE (active timing retard eliminator). It's a little more money,.......but much more adjustability than a standard TRE. The neutral map is untouched. I put this on my 01 roughly 2 months after I purchased it. Still to this day,..........no issues!! Good luck on your quest!!:beerchug:

or if you want 1n23455 de-restriction (the only way that makes sense to me) healtech custom makes these for me Cycle nice gear indicator, smaller display, and 1n23455 de-restriction :)

here we go again

3k13ob3p35Y45O65S2a4e4e453467aa241f68.jpg

Is that a N/A motor or is there a hair dryer hiding under that body work with a stock exhaust can for ultimate stealth? ???

Back