2001 Busa, need your educated input, please...

james1300

Registered
01' Busa. 13K, New tires, chain and sprockets, fresh brake pads.
Regular maintained by reliable tech.
Blue and silver. Scuffs on 'hump' from his boot.
D and D exhaust (But he has the stockers too)
Asking 3K. Is this a good price?
"What troubles, if any did these bikes have?"
What should I look for?

Be gentle, this is my 1st post on this forum but, NOT my 1st bike!
CB750F, CBX, GSXR1100S, R1, 675 Daytona, FJR1300...

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: It's a friendly site, so no worries. Sounds like a good price to me.

Welcome to the oRg. Make sure there are no 2nd gear issues. I cant remember is those years had the pump and filter in the tank or not, if so just make sure it has been maintained(cleaned). Other than that, sounds like a good price.

Make sure there are no 2nd gear issues.

I was also thinking about 2nd gear, but at $3,000 it might just be worth doing the fix (if needed) on an otherwise nice bike. Of course that's all up to the buyer.

Assuming no undisclosed problems, that sounds like a darn good price to me.

at that price if it runs good, would be worth getting and id get the tranny undercut right away before future problems. other then that just make sure everything is up to date and ride it !!

at that price if it runs good, would be worth getting and id get the tranny undercut right away before future problems. other then that just make sure everything is up to date and ride it !!

The man that owns this bike is real particular about maintance. The bike runs great and shifts fine, even after hard hits in 2nd and 3rd gears.
What will 'undercutting the transmission' do for reliability?
Who does this work? Do you also cryo the trans?
I understand the rear sub frame's had some problems?
I hear there is a starter problem with the first Gen's?
The earlier models had a smaller computer, 16 bit?
2nd Gen's had a 32 bit computer?

better people will read this and help you understand undercut and whats its about.u can google undercut hayabusa tranny if u want to read up on it. i highly recommend it if u want the trans to last without a expensive failure

The man that owns this bike is real particular about maintance. The bike runs great and shifts fine, even after hard hits in 2nd and 3rd gears.
What will 'undercutting the transmission' do for reliability?
Who does this work? Do you also cryo the trans?
I understand the rear sub frame's had some problems?
I hear there is a starter problem with the first Gen's?
The earlier models had a smaller computer, 16 bit?
2nd Gen's had a 32 bit computer?

One of the fixes on the Gen I bikes that had second gear go was undercutting second gear. That's one of those things you do when second gear goes out. I wouldn't worry with until then. Talking $3K plus repair. The engine has to be dropped and casings split.

Someone posted up the years and changes Suzuki made a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. Tried the day you posted this. You had an external fuel pump issue, Cam Chain Tensioner issue , starter clutch issue, and the ECU 16 v. 32 bit isn't really an issue, but an improvement.

You had an external fuel pump issue, Cam Chain Tensioner issue , starter clutch issue?
What do I need to look for with the fuel pump? Cam chain tensioner? They get tired on other machines around 25K, is this the same for 'BUSA's?
I thought the problem with the starter was only on, 'Built' high compression engines?

01 was internal pump with improve cam chain setup. It was a bastard year with a 16bit rotor and its own ecu,however they are easily upgraded. All you need is a 32bit rotor and an 02-07 ecu,,the harness is the even the same. they had the same crappy blue label short shaft starter as the older ones but I have seen the last 40k plus miles.
One of the fixes on the Gen I bikes that had second gear go was undercutting second gear. That's one of those things you do when second gear goes out. I wouldn't worry with until then. Talking $3K plus repair. The engine has to be dropped and casings split.

Someone posted up the years and changes Suzuki made a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. Tried the day you posted this. You had an external fuel pump issue, Cam Chain Tensioner issue , starter clutch issue, and the ECU 16 v. 32 bit isn't really an issue, but an improvement.

Back