2000 rear brake issue

Dr Pain

Registered
Hi, I have a 2000 busa that had been sitting for quite a while .The back brake pedal goes down to the bottom of the travel with very little line pressure. The pads still have some meat 1/2 or so left & about 1/4 of the fluid level still in the res. Is it typical to have to bleed these things ,,,no leaks that I can see.
thanks for any ideas.
Dr Pain

Fill the fluid to the proper level and see what happens. More than likely the pads are worn out. Best of luck. If you need to bleed there's two bleeder valves from memory on the rear caliper.

Do3 is right, two on the rear, one on each front. Change your pads, you can get a set on Amazon HH sintered for about $30. Full set of fronts and rears. Might as well do it now and get it over with, then bleed the brakes and ride the piss outta her

You may have some air in the system. Like Robert said, add fluid and bleed the brakes and see how they feel. How are the lines? Being that old it might be a good idea to replace them with some steel braid and flush in with all new fluid. I think its a good idea to completely flush the system every two years.

This bike has only 3500 miles and has lived inside A/C so everything is pretty much like new!

So what you're saying is that your busa has been spoiled rotten and now you're expecting it to do some work. I'm not surpised by the lazy brake response... just sayin' :laugh:

Did I mention that the rear brakes are kinda weak so the azz doesn't kick out from under you in a panic ? You may not have an issue

My guess is the brake fluid hasn't been changed since it came across the big water to America.

A little inside note. As the pads wear the fluid level in the reservoir descends. Actually a good way to judge the amount of wear on the pads by the reservoir level. If you add oil it will be necessary to remove some of the oil when you replace the pads.

If you have no resistance at all when the pedal is pressed then I suspect you have more issues than air in the system. I'd begin by flushing the system out with fresh clean Dot 4.

Back