2000 Busa cutting out when accelerating

busaboy71$

Registered
I have a 2000 Busa with 13K on it. It is cutting out when I accelerate at approx 6000 rpms. Once the rpm's go down as the bike slows down, the engine comes back on. This is embarrassing but most of all dangerous when on the highway in traffic. I've had the fuel filter/pump replaced and still have the same problem. Anyone have any idea what is the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First, welcome to the org!

The 99 and 00 were notorious for problems concerning the fuel systems. I can't find the links from my phone, but there are lots of threads concerning the subject. Also, download the manuals shakable on a thread here and figure out where the filter screens are at. More often than not, that is the problem

Although a fuel problem is the usual culprit, make sure your battery is up to par. I had the same issue, and after going through the fuel system, my busa still would lay down around 7K rpm. My battery seemed to be fine as I had no starting issues, but when I installed a new battery, the problem disappeared. Hope you get it sorted out.

It would help if you described in more detail what it feels like when it cuts out. Is it a sudden loss of power, or does it act more like it's running out of fuel?

Also,:

• Do you have anything like a Power Commander or TRE installed?
  • Have you tried revving it while parked in Neutral? Does it still cut out or does it only happen when riding?
  • Does it happen in every gear?

Can also check the gap on your plugs. Not as big a problem on naturally aspirated engines, but the spark could be getting blown out if the gap opened up. Happened on my truck, but it's boosted.

I'm gonna say fuel system brother. For example if you had crud or rust in your tank and replaced filters and pump the problem would come right back.

Probably not your problem, but where is the idle set, where does the bike idle when warmed up ? Make sure it's around 1200 R.P.M.s . Low idle on the Gen I has been known to cause a super low limit.

Would you elaborate on that? My 00 busa idles comfortably right at 1000 RPM and I'm not experiencing any low limits...
You can do the search, but others have reported many years ago that low idle, from memory the 800 RPM range would cause an early limit. I believe what I wrote was pretty straight forward. I never tried to cause this problem on my '06 so I can't personally say it's an issue but I have read several threads stating this possible problem.

I've also heard others state that low idle causes cam oiling issues as well as charging issues, but again I don't know this as fact. I do believe the idle should be set at 1150 maybe plus or minus 100, don't know, it's been along time.

You can do the search, but others have reported many years ago that low idle, from memory the 800 RPM range would cause an early limit. I believe what I wrote was pretty straight forward. I never tried to cause this problem on my '06 so I can't personally say it's an issue but I have read several threads stating this possible problem.

I've also heard others state that low idle causes cam oiling issues as well as charging issues, but again I don't know this as fact. I do believe the idle should be set at 1150 maybe plus or minus 100, don't know, it's been along time.

Thanks. I had never heard that before so I was just wondering. My busa has been idling at 1K since the day I got it. Maybe I just got lucky. :thumbsup:

It only happens when I accelerate hard at approx 80-90 mph. Normal riding, it is fine and doesn't cut out any other time.

Its funny you say that about your battery. The mechanic that replaced the fuel pump last week said my battery was no good. I just bought the battery last year because the battery I had would not hold a charge long in the winter if I didn't ride the bike much which I didn't so I bought the current battery with more cold cranking amps and I haven't had an issue with the battery when starting the bike in hot or old conditions. I do have a Power Commander but it's not hooked up at the moment. I also heard it could be a bad kickstand switch. Thanks for the replies. I don't think its the fuel pump/filter for I just replaced both. Normally cuts out between 2nd-4th gear when accelerating hard. No issues cutting out other then that.

It is possible that it's your kick stand switch. Bypass it temporarily and see if the problem goes away. Also, check to make sure that the power connector to the fuel pump is secure. The 2000 busa has an external pump that is powered from an connector that comes off of the Fuel Injection harness.

Don't rule out fuel pump just cause you already had it replaced. My 2003 had the studder, felt like no fuel issue after replacing it. I couldn't determine the problem to be anything else. I emailed the pump supplier and they sent me another. After another tear down and second pump no more problems.

I have a 2000 Busa with 13K on it. It is cutting out when I accelerate at approx 6000 rpms. Once the rpm's go down as the bike slows down, the engine comes back on. This is embarrassing but most of all dangerous when on the highway in traffic. I've had the fuel filter/pump replaced and still have the same problem. Anyone have any idea what is the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you ever find out the issue? I’m having the same problem. I have an 05 hayabusa and when I’m in neutral it revs fine but when I’m riding it won’t go pass 7k rpm, just like yours when I slow down everything is okay

Back