2000 Busa Chasing electrical gremlins

Shaft

Registered
Hey Everyone!

I'm back in the scene. After I sold the 09 took me a few months but I grabbed a 2000 Busa.

39,000 kms on the clock.

Has a 9" stretch, lots of chrome and polished frame.

Here are the issues I have found.

On cold start, she struggles to start with the choke on. I have to start it without the choke, then apply the choke. That's a first for me.

2nd issues when rolling I'm hearing clicking from the front wheel, I'm guessing its the bearings.
3rd issue, my speedo is way outta whack. At 4000rpm in 6th gear i'm only showing 80kms/hr and the needle fluctuates 5-10kms/hr constantly while cruising. My guess there is electrical.
4th issue, I'm seeing flicking on the dash lights as well as the rear light, it has a integrated rear tail light with signal and brake. It flickers constantly.. Guess electrical.
5th issue, If I sit there and rev it, the headlight dims. Guess electrical.

So before I start tearing into stuff, I wanted to post here.

thanks guys!

IMG_5521.jpg

Check the battery connections, also check the grounds.

Test the battery voltage before you start it; should be 12.7 volts or more.

Test the battery voltage while running; it should be ≈ 13.5 to 14.4 volts.

Oh I should have mentioned I installed a brand new battery.

I'll check voltages.

thanks!

4000 rpm at 50mph. What sprockets do you have? A raised rear and a lower front sprocket could produce those results.

By looking, the sprockets look stock, however, I'll have to count the teeth.

Mind you, if I crack on the throttle, I'm FLYING by highway traffic and only showing 120 kms/hr when I'm surely doing 180+

I guess the other thing I would be checking is if the plug to the back of the speedo unit is tight.
SOMETIMES unplugging and replugging a connector in and out a few times can "fix" problems like you are having. Might be a long shot - but can't hurt to try it.

Just for kicks also do the above on the ECU connectors - again can't hurt.

Most sprockets (including my stock one) have a number stamped in them. Stock Gen I's like mine says "40T530" it's right above a nut. If you can't find that - then count the teeth. :whistle:

Any chance you can get a hold of a GPS unit to see for sure if it's off and by how much and is it a stable amount off or does it vary with speed?
Has it been off the entire time you owned it or did it show up all of a sudden? Maybe after you did something to the bike? ???

Also check the speed sensor down by the front sprocket.
As far as the "choke" it's just a fast idle lever so that should have nothing to do with your starting issues.

Tested the battery after replacement. Idle its around 14volts.. rev up to about 4k its around 13.8, idle 14.2-14.4 volts. So things are good there. I have not measured any resistances at the stator but I will and report back.

The clicking noise I complained about was totally shot front wheel bearings. Replaced those over the weekend. At the same time I upgraded to steel braided brake lines. Feels fantastic now.

Sprockets I didn't have a look, I actually completely forgot. I do have a new supersprox rear thats like -2 in the back and a +1 vortex for the front. Should be able to get better fuel mileage which comes to my next finding.

I gotta find out why she is running stupid rich. Like my God the fumes are crazy bad. I smell like exhaust after a ride.. If I have a passenger they completely wreak! It's gotten worse over the last few days.

I'm lucky to get 180 kms per tank of fuel. But the flames are crazy cool when engine braking! :laugh:

Hey all,

Requesting some help.

My Busa had an issue with the fuel gauge never going past half.

I removed the float, tested it with my volt meter and all checkout out from the repair manual.

However when I reinstalled it, I'm afraid I may have put it in wrong as my needle now always read between 3/4 and full no matter how much is in the tank.

The manual doesn't show the exact orientation to install the float and stupid me didn't take a pic before hand.

Can someone forward me a pic of the bottom of the tank showing the orientation of the float?

Mines a 2000 with an external fuel pump.

Thanks guys!

Did a little more work over the weekend.

Front and rear sprockets have been changed. 18T in the front 40 in the back. Feels much better on the highway than the previous 17T front 42T setup from the previous owner.

Found out why my speedo was outta whack, The speed sensor rotor has a broken tooth. Anyone have a spare? :D

Did a little more work over the weekend.

Front and rear sprockets have been changed. 18T in the front 40 in the back. Feels much better on the highway than the previous 17T front 42T setup from the previous owner.

Found out why my speedo was outta whack, The speed sensor rotor has a broken tooth. Anyone have a spare? :D

:thumbsup: Glad your getting it sorted out!

Update! Everything is fixed aside from my stupid fuel tank float. Once it's drained down, I'll pull it and reassemble it properly.

She's running like a raped ape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The excessive richness could be possibly bad map sensor or no vacuum to the map sensor. Will make one stupid rich

Thanks for this. I'll have to do a full test on that sensor.

That's the only one I couldn't really test because I didn't have a vacuum gauge that day.

When she sits on idle and crack on it, there is raw fuel coming out the exhaust, some black smoke.

Back