2000 and 2001 model differences?

skid11

Registered
Have been looking at a few early models and seem to have got myself a bit confused?The 2000 has the aluminium subframe and the 2001 the steel one if I have researched right?
The unrestricted models have the 220mph clocks sorry gauges?
I have seen two 2001 models with 220 clocks so they should have the steel subframe and be unrestricted?
Sorry so many questions but looked at an apparently unrestricted 2001 yesterday.Viewing a 2000 with the original aluminium subframe tomorrow and another 2001 with 220 clocks is for sale nearby
Any other ways of telling if if its an unrestricted early one other than the clocks/gauges?
Steel subframes black/ aluminium ones grey?
Probably a very stupid opening question but would welcome some help
Sean

99/00 has aluminum (gray in color) subframe, 220 clocks and unrestricted from the factory. There are no 2001 bikes that are equipped that way from the factory. It's very easy to put clocks and subframe on a different year.

I saw a 2001 Blue and silver with 220 clocks. Guy stated it was unrestricted and looked pretty genuine.Very low miles
The one i have only seen in pictures is also a 2001 and it has 220 clocks as well.I haven't spoken to the owner as yet though.It is also Blue and silver
I realise the subframe is an easy and understandable swap(as are the clocks but i wouldnt imagine they come up often) but can a bike be an original 2001 derestricted with a steel frame?
The 2000 bike on its aluminium frame seems 100% original but a 2001 with a steel subframe would eliminate that subframe worry for me

2000 was unrestricted, 2001 restricted...other than colors, I think that's about it...

2001 model unrestricted are Canada models, the speed should be in Kph, the US model have 185 mph and are restricted.

I believe that later production models of the 2001 had a slightly different wiring harness as well that makes it easier to swap out the ECU to a 32 bit version that started with the 2002 model.

The 01 has the same 16 bit ecu as the 99-00 models except that it has been restricted.

01s lost the 220 speedo

01s went to a steel subframe (actually may have happened during 00 production year)

01s have an internal fuel pump. 99-00 had an external pump.

Something changed on the lower fairing bolts. The gain or loss of 1 on each side. I'm not sure if that happened in 00 or 01.

00 and 01 blue and silver paint scheme is different. 99/00 are the only years that are unrestricted and have 220 mph clocks.
01 is kinda a bastard year, but doesn't have what you asked about. I'm pretty sure (99.99%) that this applies worldwide, not just the U.S.

I would suggest finding a 2003 or newer bike. Starter, fuel pump, ECU, and clutch have all been fixed. It is easy enough to derestrict it.

Better yet would be an 08 up with many improvements and far less prone to transmission damage.

I have now looked at a second 2001 Blue and silver with 220 clocks.Seen the documentation and it seems genuine .It has the steel subframe .Think it was an unrestricted one as well.(As does the owner!)Perhaps its a UK thing but there are a few claimed unrestricted 2001 bikes with steel subframes about?
Put a deposit on the 2000 one .:thumbsup:
Appreciate the thoughts on the Gen 2 and can see the thinking but can afford the earlier bike without a loan.

I have now looked at a second 2001 Blue and silver with 220 clocks.Seen the documentation and it seems genuine .It has the steel subframe .Think it was an unrestricted one as well.(As does the owner!)Perhaps its a UK thing but there are a few claimed unrestricted 2001 bikes with steel subframes about?
Put a deposit on the 2000 one .:thumbsup:
Appreciate the thoughts on the Gen 2 and can see the thinking but can afford the earlier bike without a loan.

I think you made a great choice in terms of the vintage (can't speak to the individual bike of course). I could have bought anything and chose an unrestricted 2000. Never looked back and would do the same thing again....it's fun when you can say, "It's 13 year old technology!" I love the thing. Raydog ps don't forget to show us pics when you take delivery!

DM_46663.jpg

raydog....cheers..Bit of deja vu as looked at the same model and colour back in 2002.Didn't buy due to a ridiculous trade in offer by the salesman on my then immaculate blade!...
Will post some pics when I fetch it but its just a really nice standard Blue and Silver 2000
On the subframe question.I have now seen two silver steel subframes and realised that the later ones.Certainly post 2007 were black.That shows that the colour is no indication .

Back