200 width Bridgestone BT020

jesusfreak

Registered
I'm ready to replace my OEM rear tire and found alot of posts about the Bridgestone BT020. I mainly commute on my Busa so I am looking for longer tread life. My question: I like the look of the 200 width, but Bridgestone lists that as an OEM replacement for the Road Star Warrior. Will that be good on the Bus or is there something different about the tire design?? Do I need to stick with the 190 or at least pick another model/brand??

Thanks in advance for all the info....I don't post very often, but I really appreciate the wealth of information on this great site!!!!!!

I would check into the AVON AV46 No I am not recommending the vendor, just the tire. I have never used one but awhile back I read that they were a good blend of performance and life....

Do a Search for Avon Motorcycle tires....

Since I commute a lot as well, I was looking at both the BT020 as well as the Avon46. The Avon comes with a road hazard warrenty and the guys at the shop, who sell both, thought the Avon was a longer lasting better performing tire. I went with it. So far, I like it. It's not as sticky as my Metzler M1, but, that's ok for my riding. A couple hundred miles into the Avon46 I can see that the contact patch is wider spreading my commuting wear over more rubber. Also, the tread is less coned than the Metzler which gives more rubber to wear. However, the tradeoff here is that you don't drop into turns as well. Since I can't afford to burn through a Metzler M1 every 2 months, I think I'm going to be happy with the Avon.

BT20 will give you some long lfe. 3 of my buddies run them on their Triumps. You will get a lot more life out of them compared to the BT 10 BT 12 or BT14. Performance is less then all 3.

IF you ride easy the BT020 may be OK for you.

I have a Warrior & it came with the 020. It is entirely to hard for my riding style. I could spin it all the way through 1st & half way through second.

Can't give you a milage report, took  a nail at 4500 miles & replaced the tire. I estimate it would have made it to about 6K.

I currently use the BT010 on the Warrior. It comes in 200 section & is sport bike rated. It is much softer than the 020 & sticks well. Have 5500 on it & I'm at the wear bars. New 010 is in the shop waiting to go on.

For  you techie guys the 020 durometers out in the high 70's.

The 010 durometers out in the mid 50's.

I like my Metzeler M1. I have the 200 rear and it's been great. But, I don't JUST commute...
wink.gif

I'm ready to replace my OEM rear tire and found alot of posts about the Bridgestone BT020.  I mainly commute on my Busa so I am looking for longer tread life.  My question:  I like the look of the 200 width, but Bridgestone lists that as an OEM replacement for the Road Star Warrior.  Will that be good on the Bus or is there something different about the tire design??  Do I need to stick with the 190 or at least pick another model/brand??

Thanks in advance for all the info....I don't post very often, but I really appreciate the wealth of information on this great site!!!!!!
i have 4k miles on my 200mm bt020 now and it still looks like it has 80% tread left. one word of advise, i think the 200mm's actual width is a little more than 200mm cause mine touches the chain very, very slightly. it doesn't effect the ride or anything and the wrench gave me his word that safety is not an issue because it's such a light touch. i would get the same tire again in the very far future when needed but will go back to stock size or a 200mm that actually measured 200mm.

Just remember, a 200 tire gives you a smaller contact patch than the OEM 190 if you use your OEM wheel. I'm not sure I would run an 020 on my busa. Way to hard and slippery. It will spin out quite easily and I'd think you would be begging for an up close and personal experience with the pavement. However, if you ride like an old grandma with one leg, I suppose anything that will hold air would be okay. I run the new dual compound BT014 and love them. Very sticky on the outside and good mileage in the center. You may want tolook at them before making a decision?

I recently got 15,000 miles out of a set of AV45/46 tires.
I have in the past gotten close to 17,000 out of a set of
BT10 tires. Both are good. I haven't used the BT20 yet.
I ride daily to SF about 114 round trip. At the lake in the
twistys on weekend usually. BT10 seems better in the
twisty stuff than the AV45/46 do. Quicker turn in seems
to me.

17K miles on a BT010
rock.gif
? Were they on a Honda Rebel or something? What's your secret to making your tires last 4X longer than average?

Also does anyone know what the stock BT56's are equivalent to? Are they closer to a 010 or an 020? Somewhere in between?

I got 8,500 miles on my last set of bt020's and was quite pleased with them. They're not for track riding but I've had parts of me touching the road in corners and more top end runs on HOT florida asphalt than I can count. Just my $.02.

I got 8,500 miles on my last set of bt020's and was quite pleased with them. They're not for track riding but I've had parts of me touching the road in corners and more top end runs on HOT florida asphalt than I can count.  Just my $.02.
there was a post regarding dragging knees in the corners or something like that few weeks back and one of the busa riders posted a picture of his bt020 wearing all the way to the edges of the tire.

Back