200 tires on stock bikes.

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I can't see the want for a 200 tire on a stock bike? It's wider, barely. All it does is reduce your chain clearance and give you a bad tire profile on the rear. My turbo Busa had a 200 Shinko when I bought it.
More traction, right? .....Wrong. Ill handling? Yes.
Chain clearance problems? Yep.

It's just not worth the problems IMO for a marginal gain in width.

Well put. :thumbsup:

I would like to add that anytime a different size tire is used, be aware of the clearance of the tread to the swingarm (in the front of the tire).
Tires can expand at high speed and if that clearance is too close it may touch.
(Like Barry Sheene and his crash at Daytona)

Last edited:
I run 200 on mine and I have had no problems with chain clearance or handling. Mine is Shinko 005. It can on my Busa also so I have never run with a 190.:whistle:

I run 200 on mine and I have had no problems with chain clearance or handling. Mine is Shinko 005. It can on my Busa also so I have never run with a 190.:whistle:

I have the same tire on my '07 and haven't had any problems with clearance or handling even at extreme speeds... ???

There are some real advantages in some situations to run a 200 series tire over a 190 as well as some disadvantages.

The biggest advantage is corner drive. The bigger tire does indeed offer more traction than it's smaller brethern. The bigger tire slows the turn in speed a bit but for many, the advantage of a better corner drive is worth the cost. You can get on the throttle sooner and harder with the bigger tire.

The disadvantages are slower turn in and an increase in rotating mass. Neither of which will be noticeable by the average rider.

Other than grip, there really is no other advantages I can see. It gives your bike a little fatter look in the rear and I've never had any issues with chain clearance on a 200 series tire. All a matter of taste and what you are looking for in a tire. For 99.999% of the riders, there will be no difference in performance. But for that special rider with exceptional skills, it can mean the difference in 1st or 2nd place.

"The disadvantages are slower turn in and an increase in rotating mass. Neither of which will be noticeable by the average rider."

Well said.!!! I'm an average joe rider and my 200 runs fine, feels fine, grips fine, corners fine at the average speeds i do em in :laugh: but i'm drinking milk..and when i step up to the big boy table then i'll go with what....190 is it?? :beerchug:

Just remember that every different brand and style of tire has a different ACTUAL measurement across the width of the tire and 190 is only the bracket it falls in to. An excellent test of sport tires in SPORT RIDER mag this past month highlights this fact....some of the 190's were almost 198mm from one edge to the other and yet still list as 190.

Just remember that every different brand and style of tire has a different ACTUAL measurement across the width of the tire and 190 is only the bracket it falls in to. An excellent test of sport tires in SPORT RIDER mag this past month highlights this fact....some of the 190's were almost 198mm from one edge to the other and yet still list as 190.

Good point.
Thanks!

Great point considering the majority of the "200" series do not actually measure to 200. I am of the same mind that I do not need the headaches of a 200, but I do understand what people are trying to accomplish

When I buy (Dunlop 208,s) I buy 200,s. When I buy (Shinko 005), I buy 190,s. I buy what on sale when i need tires sets only.:beerchug:

I say buy what you like and RIDE WITH IT!! My 200 is just getting through till I can afford my 240 :cheerleader:

and I'll still be able to hit the twisties :thumbsup:

Usually 200 rears are like 20-40 more on cost over a 190. I can't justify so much for so little. The 200 Shinko 003's grow quite a bit when heated.

Just a follow up to my reference to the magazine article, here are some of the actual sizes for some popular 190 tires:

Avon Viper Xtreme - 190mm
Bridgestone BT016 - 194mm
Continental Contisport Attack - 185mm
Dunlop Qualifier - 197mm
Metzeler Sportec M3 - 190mm
Michelin Pilot Power - 193mm
Pirelli Diablo Corsa III - 188mm

I had forgotten that some of the tires actually came up well short of 190, especially the Conti's.

Just a follow up to my reference to the magazine article, here are some of the actual sizes for some popular 190 tires:

Avon Viper Xtreme - 190mm
Bridgestone BT016 - 194mm
Continental Contisport Attack - 185mm
Dunlop Qualifier - 197mm
Metzeler Sportec M3 - 190mm
Michelin Pilot Power - 193mm
Pirelli Diablo Corsa III - 188mm

I had forgotten that some of the tires actually came up well short of 190, especially the Conti's.

Thanks...:beerchug:

This thread is another excuse to post pics of my baby. :cheerleader:

200 series tires for years now and sailing past 80,000 miles.

displayimage.php

If it's affecting the handling of the bike, just not seeing it. :laugh: :laugh: Neither are these.

displayimage.php

This thread is another excuse to post pics of my baby. :cheerleader:

200 series tires for years now and sailing past 80,000 miles.

displayimage.php

If it's affecting the handling of the bike, just not seeing it. :laugh: :laugh: Neither are these.

displayimage.php

proving the "tire experts" wrong for years bro! :bowdown:

Back