200+mph wheels..

Vindaloobeast

Registered
Hi all, still having trouble trying to insure a turbo bike in the UK but Im trying to prep everything else. I have come across a small problem which worries me.........wheels. I read an article this week that says standard wheels on a gen 1 are good for only 220mph and must be upgraded to go faster. Do they break up or what...?

Is this correct...?

Beast.

I would think the wheel should be fine? It's the bearings that I'd worry about. Some nice ceramic ones would settle my mind.
Why don't you worry about it when you get to 219? :laugh:

Well at the moment it hits its limiter at bang on 185 so Im not worried. Never heard of such bearings but I know someone local with a 600bhp bike that fitted aftermarket wheels...

Beast a turbo bike is a big undertaking and much knowledge is needed to properly ride and maintain one.
Yet you've never heard of ceramic bearings? Click here >>>> World Wide Bearings <<<<

I've never seen a speed rating on wheels? Maybe somebody else has? But I've seen normal bearings fail from high speed overheating.

Think I would be worried about the tires.Z-rated tires are only good for 149 mph and w rated for 168 on up right.Bearings would worry me as well.

Went back to view his 312 MPH run and found that Bill is running Brocks BST wheels. I think he has ran Avons, but prefers Conti's.

Beast a turbo bike is a big undertaking and much knowledge is needed to properly ride and maintain one.
Yet you've never heard of ceramic bearings? Click here >>>> World Wide Bearings <<<<

I've never seen a speed rating on wheels? Maybe somebody else has? But I've seen normal bearings fail from high speed overheating.

I know its a lot to consider but as I dont have heaps of money I am trying to drip feed mods in slowly. Insurance is a nightmare.

Thats good advice on the bearings though...Ive never heard of them before. I know ceramic is used in some taps and rarely goes wrong. When mine are in need of replacement then thats what I will fit.

Beast.

Ceramic Bearings will run you around $300 US, but they are very nessary at 200 MPH if for nothing else, easy of mind. You better check the run true alignment of the wheels (by themselves) at that speed and make sure there is NO DAMAGE or Cracks (seen or unseen) in the wheel rims. A Crash at that speed will put a real damper on your ENTIRE DAY :thumbsup:

Back