20 Years Young, 1999 Busa Running Strong

jphillips

Registered
Hello Everyone, Thought I'd post a short note and a couple of pics of my 1999 work horse Busa. She's no longer the bell of the ball on the outside and no longer a teenager but at 183k miles I understand this machine and feel comfortable and confident riding her. We've had a few rainy winter storms here in California this season which turned up a pesky ignition problem. Hairline cracks in the coil sticks - very intermittent - ie. heavy rain and no side fairings. Cured with some new coils - the original stock coils have served me well. Hope you enjoy the pics. I'd say she's got another decade!

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1066 (1).JPG

IMG_1065 (1).JPG

WOW, that is a lot of mileage.

Besides the coil sticks, please share with us any bigger items you had to take care of to keep her running.

That's a testament to how tough these bikes are.
Did you have any issues other than the coil sticks? Any big maintenance issue?

/\/\/\ we were typing at the same time...lol

Yeah, you guys have a nose for news... I'll tell you what never ever has issues - the engine - I measure value clearance every 40k miles - always within. Compression - always within. What I do do to keep the old girl happy:
1) oil - FullSyn every 3k miles
2) K&N air cleaner - rinse with simple green every 20k miles (should do more BayArea = dusty)
3) Carb sync every 20k miles
4) Chain clean and oil/wax every - alot - a least once a month (and tire pressure)
5) the '99 has the external fuel pump, been in there 3 times, 2 new pumps, always all new o-rings including and especially the fuel rail. Fuel delivery on these things is everything.
6) Starter motor go the flat spot at 160k miles - changed for one from some dudes in Detroit
7) Welds on the stock 4 into 2 exhaust (Yosh slipons - had to put a heli coil into one side)
8) Steel brake/clutch lines.
9) New (stock) clutch springs only, at 140k miles. Plates were good - just started slipping in 5th under hard acceleration - weak springs.
10) One contiguous wire harness from generator to rectifier. All those connectors melt. Went to 12 gauge stranded double insulated wire. The rectifier and generator were 100% good - as I suspect are most that end up getting replaced (IMHO).
11) Thick ground wire from rectifier to battery (6 or 4 guage)
12) Fork seals and fresh oil at 150k miles - what a difference over 120mph in settling the slightest resonance.

Those are the ones that come to mind guys, thanks for asking. I've only had 3 street bikes in my life (still have 2 of 'em):
1) 1973 Suzuki GT185
2) 1976 Suzuki GT550
3) 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa

I also have a KLR650 stashed in Asia and I'm going to bring her home in the Siberian springtime!

Very nice write up there my Busa wielding friend!
I also have a '99, mines just a youngster at 70K miles lol.
I can say I have also had a few similar issues . . keep the old girl going though.
Why no side fairings?

Very nice write up there my Busa wielding friend!
I also have a '99, mines just a youngster at 70K miles lol.
I can say I have also had a few similar issues . . keep the old girl going though.
Why no side fairings?

Honestly - I was right side passing line of vehicles at full stop, I'm literally next to a giant 4 door pickup, so close to rear passenger door I hear it 'click' to open, and as the door opens, I veer right, but clip and slide.... I got the usual bruises but the high school girl exiting the monster truck hardly lifted her face from her phone as she stepped over me... blissful youth. Since then the busa has been missing her skin (fairings not the teenager). Becoming a street fighter I suppose.

We match!! I have gotten used to looking at mine for so long with no side fairing on it. Mine has no fairings on the side because of having to work out some details with paint.

That is amazing thought 183k miles man that is a true testament. I’ll have my bike till it reaches that ripe old age. I’ll never sell it.
Have you had it since new?

If you are ever looking to get fairings I have a full set of aftermarkets in blue / silver on here in the classifieds.

979A3538-E27A-4634-A2EB-6138E4BE212F.jpeg

We match!! I have gotten used to looking at mine for so long with no side fairing on it. Mine has no fairings on the side because of having to work out some details with paint.

That is amazing thought 183k miles man that is a true testament. I’ll have my bike till it reaches that ripe old age. I’ll never sell it.
Have you had it since new?

If you are ever looking to get fairings I have a full set of aftermarkets in blue / silver on here in the classifieds.

View attachment 1594340
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I bought the machine in 2009 with 25000 miles on it. Thanks for the offer on the fairings but I kinda like the open look and takes 20 minutes off most maintenance jobs!

We do match, I honestly hope this bike continues to age with me. Starting all over again figuring out someone elses maintenance is tough. Your color scheme is good and I bet that Yosh sings!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I bought the machine in 2009 with 25000 miles on it. Thanks for the offer on the fairings but I kinda like the open look and takes 20 minutes off most maintenance jobs!

We do match, I honestly hope this bike continues to age with me. Starting all over again figuring out someone elses maintenance is tough. Your color scheme is good and I bet that Yosh sings!
Thanks and yes it sounds pretty good lol can’t wait to be riding it again.
Yea I can imagine the convenience of the maintenance. I’ll have my bike till forever as well.

Back