2 part question...what kind of tires should I get?

Miles from the tires you are doing well.  Maybe a little to well.   You should have changed a bit ago.
Yeah...I know I've pushed the miles on the Pilots, for no particular reason though, maybe just indecision on what to put on.

I think I've narrowed it down to the 2 Pilots...sport or HPX.

thanks
wink.gif

as far as brakes go, they are a little like tires, some need to get up to temp to perform their best and some dont. typically the ones that dont need to warm up dont stop as fast and may fade after a bit. generally a harder brake pad is not as easy to control and may not be as sensative(not as much feedback as a softer pad) stock rotors like to warp because they are not developed for racing or high speed braking. anyone riding at the extreme levels really do need and aftermarket setup.
Thank you for the brake info!! Another dilema for me. I've almost got the tires figured out...love the Pilots...but as far as changing the brakes/lines go...
rock.gif

Thanks. p.s. my $$$ is going toward grip. I don't believe in cutting corners anywhere my life/skin is concerned.
biggrin.gif

I DEFINITELY love that confidence part!  I agree and I wonder if busababe will repond back to this and let us know what she's looking at now?
I'm here...been on siesta for a while it seems, lol.

FYI, right now I'm looking at about 14" of snow!

YUK YUK YUK

Last week I installed a rear tire HPX 200/50/17 I went riding Friday and it rained good grip even on wet surface.

There is no clear answer so do your research and then buy the stickiest tire that suits your style of riding and plan on replacing them every 3-4k miles. Otherwise buy a Goldwing.
Ok, I work for Honda and all but buy a Goldwing???  I Don't think so.  
ices_rofl.gif

anyway...I'll just pretend you didn't say that,  
wink.gif

A funny little story about the first time I went into a corner with my Pilots when they were new (75 miles on them or so), I just went to go onto an on-ramp and "BAM", it seemed like I was leaned over farther than before but I wasn't trying because the tires were still breaking in.  Until I got use to them it felt like I was riding on a rubber ball, cool.  I kept yelling out loud in my helmet.  
biggrin.gif

As I said before $$$ isn't a concern when my life is at stake.  That's just a stupid corner to cut IMO.

Is it possible for you to describe to me the difference in the feel of the brakes after changing the lines to SS?  Right now I'd describe the stock brakes to be "squishy".

Thanks
Kris

If you want some good turn in, put a pilot race up front and HPX in the back.  That is what I am running currently, and it fits my style of street riding very good.  Hope this helps, Bill
hmmm, that puts a new twist on things...2 different tires.

Something else for me to think about...thanks.
wink.gif

I would aim for a balanced tire.  Ultimate sticky rubber is cool unless you break them loose.  They tend to SNAP loose, where a less sticky performance tire lets you know your at the limit BEFORE it breaks loose and when it does the slightly less sticky rubber is more forgiving.  Just a thought.  But if you find a tire that you like and are happy with stick with it.  Unless you are working on becoming a junior road racer don't mess with success.

Brake wise, I have been wondering if you have allready put on stainless lines?  If not, I would replace the lines first then I would replace the pads with stock pads or an after market pad that offers a good balance of performance and longevity like the HH Sintered Pads.  Now that you have the stock pads back on the rear... stop relying on it so much.  
wink.gif

If you haven't replaced the lines the pads you use are not going to make much of a difference, feel is still going to suck.  Pads won't improve that...
Thank you for the brake info...I haven't changed the brake lines though I'm thinking about it.  To be honest though I'm "scared" of changing the front too drastically and having a problem with maybe over sensitivity.  I've been thinking of just putting the stock pads back on the front too and leaving the lines alone though before the dump truck incident I was going to put SS lines in and HH pads.

Still working on that rear brake.  
wink.gif

I asked EAKbusa this also...can you give me an idea of how the SS lines made the brakes feel?  What was the change like?  I'd just like an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!!  Kris

wink.gif

My 2c.

The steel braided lines will reduce the squishy feel.  I didn't change the rear lines.  

The Metzler M1s are great all around tires.  Good in the rain and excellent grip.  I went through two sets this summer.  Right now I have the Dunlop 208s and they work very well and should last a little longer.
New tires and tire with a different profile take a little getting used to.  

I'm not an expert on the brake pads, I have the hard EBC sintered pads.  I've used them on the track and the street and they work for me.

I thought the rear brake was just to keep you from rolling when you're at a stop.
And, a question about the race tires "snapping" loose.  I would think you would have to be at full lean, and knee draggin' before they break loose.
rock.gif

i like the Bt010, cant beat the price,
Yeah I just had one put on a few hundred miles back and I am pretty pleased with the improvement over the BT56. It seems to be a lot less temperature sensitive, IE really doesn't seem to need much warm up to give decent grip... So far I am really happy.

My .02.
I'm running the 208 on the rear. No chiken strips to be seen, sticks plenty good unless I get on it before they are warned up. When the rear has slid, it seemed controlable (Has happened about 3 times). Still able to loft the front end through the second half of a turn.

I recently went to a 200 Pilot Sport HPX.First impressions of it have been first-rate.Besides the BT-56 I have run Dunlop 208's(190 rear).This tire turns in better than the other two and sticks good with minmal heat-up time.We'll have to see how it wears,it is supposed to be really long-lived.Only drawback is that it sings a bit,but it's just enough to be noticed.

Back