2 month review:  Diablos, Heli Bar risers

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Okay, I have been on this configuration for a bit, to the point where I am used to it and can make some semi-intelligent comments.

1st, I had standard street Dunlop 208s on the rear and they would ALWAYS spin whan I punched the throttle to the stopper. People say, "Yeah, it's the Busa" I say "Yeah my EOMS NEVER did that." So, burned off those pukers and tried the Diablos street [not Corsa Race or anything] and had them on for a while. They have NEVER spun on me yet... except in the rain and once on that fat white starting line at an intersection. The rest of the time, it either shoots me forward or pops up in a wheelie. I replaced the front with Diablo also. I have ridden it in 70 degrees and down to 35 degrees - granted I didn't hammer it much in the 35 degrees, but I did specifically test it twice in that temp after some warmup riding and it STILL stuck! Then there's the turn in. These wheels, how ever they are desgined, make my Busa as flickable as my buddies KAW 636. It wants to fall over more than stay upright. Well, you know, it STAYS up, but falls and LOCKS into turns wonderfully. Keep in mind I dropped to a 180 on the rear instead of the standard 190, and that helped turning even more. It's been wonderful in the twisties, very confidence inspiring especially after the 208s. Now for the down side. These great cornering tires felt MOSTLY unstable at speeds over 120 [professional rider only, closed environment] when compared to my previous EOM 190 and 208 190. It just felt more bouncy, less planted, less stable, more scary. Strait speed is my favorite part, so I am switching back to the "Made for Busa" speed rated tire like the Mich HPX for my next set. I give the Pirelli Diablo's a 4.5 out of 5. Oh and 'wear', um, I don't know, they still look fine and I've put 1.5k on them by now I think.... not too worried about wear, I'd rather stay 'stuck' to the road at ALL costs.

HeliBar handle bar extenders: they rasie the handles up abotu 1.5 inches, and can point forward a bit more or rake back depending how you mount them. After installation, it felt funny to sit on it, like I was sitting BOLT upright compared to the "Crotch Rocket" lean of the standard bars. I consider "change" and extreme sport and looked forward to the day when I didn't even notice the new seatign position. that day has slipped by and I forgot to notice. The handles don't seem awkward or funny to me at ALL now. They had ZERO effect on my driving skills or cornering abilites, even in twisties. Maybe tucking has my hands up higher now, but it makes no diff to me at all. When turning to full lock backing in or out of garage, I notice my hands will bump the bottom of the mirrors... that might tell you the position differnce. Anywho, I bought them as an effort to help my back feel better. I am 6 foot 1.5 inches, and the HeliBars must be helping. They certainly couldn't hurt. It's just that now I am not noticing or thinking about my back when riding. plus in MY mind, the sitting even higher part looks more normal to cops, instead of the "Gimme a ticket, I ride like I'm racing" crouch mode. The bars themselves are black colored and match even better to the grips, levers , cabling and such up front, so it looks KEWLER. HeliBars 5 out of 5 for me.

Hopes this helps anyone interested in these products.

thanks for the helibar comments been thinkin of getting them for myself, i think you made up my mind thx bro...

WWJD,

Thanks a million. I'll have to save up and get a set of heli-bars. It's always better to have a real world opinion rather than advertising hype.

I rode for about 250 miles today and my neck, upper back, and shoulders were killing me when I got home. It was a beautiful day though.

Thanks again,
Jim

wwjd, I think what you were feeling was the size difference of the contact patch on the surface, dont worry its still stable, if your wobbling side to side, check you're dampner. if its up and down, check suspension. you see the superbikes getting very out of shape when they are coming hot into the turn, its the nature of the beast, dont worry, hold on and ride it out. a little more throttle will strighten ya right out, and yer ready to set up for another one....

twisted, it was definitely size/tire related unstableness. I don't spend much time past 150, but times I have felt great/smooth/planted on the 190s previously. I suspect it all in the rear tire size and spin geometry - it was REALLY noticable to me, so much I'm giving up on the smaller tires and doing the Busa speed rated kind. I just prefer that planted feel and smooth gliding over the rattle bucket feeling like my old KAW 1000 :) I believe the Diablos might be up to the task, I just want more cream-puffy :D

you might want to try the sportecs made specially for the busa, its a two hunnerd and its prolly the weight difference you are feeling at high speeds....
I say stick with the 180 and hang on :eek:

I've been waiting for your report. Took you freaking long enough. :D

I have been waiting to hear what you had to say about the Helibars. I am thinking I'll get some myself. They are still the best solution for raising the grips a little. Especially from a looks perspective.

Thanks Man.

Back