1st to 2nd gear change issues

04Duramax

Registered
On my 08' I've been having some issues changing from 1st to 2nd gear usually whn I'm at the higher rev range.. but then again it will do it randomly at lower revs and speeds as well. .. this often results in grinding and such upon engagement. Has anyone else had this issue. I thought it might be my oil getting thin or something like that but I only have about 2k on this oil change. Was thinking of flushing the clutch fluid.. the bike has just over 6K on it. Will replacing the stock clutch line with a steel braided one help this issue at all? Thanks for any help.

You just need to shift like you mean it. That is usually the result of a soft shift. Just slam it in gear and you'll be fine - being to gentle on shifts is not good for the bike.

Your bike should work well with the stock clutch line. Place your bike in gear and slowly let out your clutch. If your engine Rpms begin to drop immediately then your clutch is not disengaging completely. If you have some travel before rpms drop it is working fine and you need to look elsewhere for the problem. If they drop immediately you may have air in the system and bleeding will fix that. If you have grinding you may have a mechanical problem but they are rare. Are you running synthetic oil? Synth helps and miles help more. There was a recall on the 08s for clutch springs backing out so you might want to check that out also but it is probably not the prob.

occasionally, i get this on my 08' with 12k miles and it dissipates when i change the oil(assuming the synthetic oil is breaking down). my oil change intervals are every 2k and i flush the clutch as well for added security. i would suggest doing both and adjusting the shift lever closer to your foot position.

Thanks for the info guys.. I think I may be just "soft" shifting.. or atleast I hope so.. everything else seems to check out fine. I will prob do an oil change for good measure seeing that we just got done with the AZ summer and the heat I'm sure is no good for the oil in her. I do run full syn Mobil1.

Can you shift clutchless? I don't believe you should have any grinding noises or thunking. I very rarely ever use the clutch after take off, cruising or running it hard and it always shifts smooth.

Okay have done anything to the tune up like power commander. You might think this is crazy but. ??????????

The Mobil 1 racing 4t works great and you can get it at Wal-Mart for 9.85 a quart. They keep it by the motorcycle accessories, not by the other oils.

I used to have the issue, result is from soft shifting (for me it was only in high rpms). Like they said shift it like you mean it or if you are racing and getting up there you can even go clutchless :thumbsup::laugh:

Back