1st time bike night last night

saygbye

10 sec L
Donating Member
Registered
1st off let me go ahead and do this..
soapbox.gif
i have had my busa about 3 months and last night a buddy of mine asked me to go to bike night. he was telling me how cool it is and they ride in a group of between 20-30 sportbikes and go to 3-4 different places all over town. (this is in memphis, tn and im 36 with a wife and 3 kids). just getting to the 1st place turned me off. we ran no slower than 60 and that was on country backroads. that means twisty as a race track and no streetlights. we got ran off and left. when we finally get to the place we no sooner than get off the bike my buddy says were leaving going to "x" place instead. after about 5 of the guys do a burnout in front of a couple of harleys we leave and they run motogp style to an empty parking lot about 2 miles away. a**clowns are doing wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, and other crap all over the lot. i tell my wife these guys are more than 1/2 stupid and im not having any fun. btw they are steadily having to wait on me because i refuse to run the breakneck speeds they want to. i pull my helmet off and about that time they decide to leave again. motogp to the gas station. finally ive had enough i told my buddy, in a nice manner, that all i was doing was holding them up and we were going to go ride around by ourselves i will catch up with them downtown. we get on the interstate and about 5 minutes later the lead bike(dont know him) comes by me with the guy, no crap, doing a wheelie while sitting on the handlebars. like you would see in a mag. btw i was doing 75 when he went by. we got off the interstate and went riding by ourselves and had a great time. he called me today and asked what happened to me and i told him that wasnt really my scene. he told me they ran between 120-140 around the interstate there and back. i said "cool" didnt want to be a jerk and tell him what i really thought. maybe im old or whatever but there is a time and place for everything i dont belive in blowing out cagers ears at every red light and running wide a** open eveywhere i go. now i know why the hate "us".

I don't ride that way either, bro! I've been to 1 bike night for that exact reason.

Dude ... pretty cool of you to do your own thing, and refuse to ride "MotoGP style" around town. I ride with my bud who's on a 999, and only because we both ride exactly the same. And we enjoy sitting and looking at the bikes, and talking bikes, almost (well, maybe half) as much as riding them. Good for you!

group rides can be fun or just a really bad idea. I've been in both
mad.gif
A few years ago we had a GA Busa get together and it was a bad scene. I was way over my head trying to keep them in site and within maybe an hour we started loseing riders left and right. I stayed with it for most of the day but it just wasn't fun. Now the group rides in CA at Laguna was always a blast.
cool.gif

yeah this bugs the @#@# out of me too. I know a few of these types of folks and I don't ride with them. I know two guys that have crashed in the last two months on these types of rides. I just don't go.

It's funny - I used to do that but the older I get the safer I feel on a track. I don't see why these guys don't go out on the track and let it all hang out. Maybe they haven't been down yet... Me twice in 20something years. I know what it feels like and save the crazy stuff for when I'm not in danger of a head-on from a truck going the other way.

Guess I love my kids too much...

Yep, that's we don't run with most of the locals. Squids and stunters. We have a few rider friends that have the same riding style as us, so we ride with them.

Personally, I don't need to "prove" myself. I just want to have fun and enjoy the ride.

Thats why GMbusa and I ride together. I hate most of the local bike scene... squids and wannabe Rossi's.... If they knew how to ride. Sad thing is, the best of the corner takers is still probrbly slower than my Fat azz in the twisties.

I know the feeling. In San Diego, there are some guys that will ride from the "meeting place" and go to the beach and back again doing 140+ and burn a tank of gas and call it riding. Most of them...if not all, ride like that all the time. Sometimes I would go with them. I would ask them..."where are you guys going?" and would respond in kind...."i'll see you when I get there". Funny thing is...i kept it consistant at about 75 or so and they were probably doing twice that at times and when I get there, they are just taking their helmets off....

Speed gets you there, but not as fast as you think...

I had the same exact thing happen to me my first group ride on the new bike about a month ago.. Most of the kids doing the stunting and speeding were probably around 19-24. I love to go fast but damn theres a time and place and it's not 120mph IN TRAFFIC! I wound up leaving the group after they found some back road to do stunts on for some time. I don't think its age since im only 29.. but more like common sence.
laugh.gif

I've all but quit riding with my friends for this reason,I dont need the added attention nor the jail time.

Good for you
beerchug.gif
I feel the same way. There is a time and a place for every thing and screwing around on the highway or in traffic is not the place. I ride at a safe pace (road condition, traffic and riding partners are all factors). I would rather enjoy the ride with some good friends on Harleys then worry about whose going to hit who and when the Cops are going to show. Don't get me wrong, I own a Busa and a GSX R600 for a reason. But when it comes to riding with a group I select the group very wisely.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151064114 -->

thanks for the replys i didnt know if i was just crazy or being dumb about it since i was the only one around (on a sportbike) that wasnt acting like a clown.

You did the absolute right thing. Yeah, I think it's called "maturity". Do right by your wife and children. They don't need a husband/father laying in a pile on the side of the road.

That type of consistent riding hurts all bikers.

ah dejavu.... I remember making almost the exact post a couple months ago for our local riding group. Just ride your own comfort zone and you will never go wrong. Guys like that only got the bike to be noticed by everyone else on there bike. Do your own thing man. You'll get a lot less points on your license that way.

you know the first time GSXtacy and i where going to meet he was with another group and he left them to ride just the 3 of us and i had a blast i think if i was with the other guys it would have sucked

Yep....amature night for sure. When the squids come out to play. Last year one of the squidlys here was doing a high speed run across a dark parking lot so his squidly bro could here his new pipe....at about 110 he hit a parking lot divider. Year later, he's finally ready to start learning how to walk again in the local rehab center. woohoo.

Bah, Don't let the silliness get you down. For all the stupid shid you see at one get together there are a couple that are better organized and more grown up. Kepp looking, they are out there.

Oh and as for sportbikes and their bad reps, yeah this is alot of it kids out being crazy, but alot of it also has to do with inexperianced riders getting bikes they cannot handle and simply smoking themselves...

It is really bad in Dallas - 300-400 bikes meet at Sonic on Thursday nights. My Wife & I have met some great riding partners there, but it is SQUID CITY. They ride in schools of 30+ 150 mph on highways.

Exactly why I don't do group rides or bike nights ! There are just too many Brick Heads
face7.gif
looking for a place to meet MR.
grim.gif
for me
wink.gif

Back