1st ride

tlrbandit

Registered
You might remember my 71 year old Pop bought an 06 LE busa about a month ago. It has been double bubbled, Tobinized and Heli barred in it's short 1500 mile life and I was finally able to steal a ride on it.

I never thought I would say this, but I think I see a Busa in my future. My wife and I took the Busa Saturday night up through Ortega Hwy. and beyond, racking up 260 miles and all I can say is I am completely tacken aback by this bike. It has power to spare; doesn't vibrate; handles really good and it soaks up even some of the nastiest road conditions.

If it were mine I would have kept the seat the stock heighth and added +1" dogbones to raise the back a little but that's about it (Pop is about 7" shorter than me so he needs the seat height as low as he can get it.).

I have one question: how much work needs to be done to this thing for it to be a fun bike on trackdays? I run in the advanced group and I am typically one of the faster guys. In the few club races I have entered I have finished mid pack, but there are no more races in my future. Now I just go to the track for fun and fun only. Some days I even step down a group just so I can run a slightly slower pace. Give you thoughts, please?

Ortega Hwy you must be close to me. Keep following the 74 thru Paris and Hemet all the way out to Palm Dessert for a real cool ride.

Yep, been all through there. I have done the 74 all the way up and through Idyllwild and out into Palm Springs or off the 74 hook over through Palomar, through Julian and out to Borrego Springs. Never mind all of the little canyon roads that are sprinkled throughout both of these routes. One of the best though is going through Julian and Borrego Springs then the back way up to Idyllwild. From Idyllwild go up through Big Bear, out the back and through the Crest. Works out to a little over 500 miles in one day!
smile.gif

I actually live in Stanton, but I have a little over 640,000 miles on sportbikes under my belt and most of them have been acquired in Southern California with a decent amount done in Northern California.

Welcome, glad you got a chance in the saddle.

to hit the track for fun, strp the front down and let some air out on the back.

Now to compete you will need more, but thats a fun start.

I was thinking along the lines of what needs to be done to get the bike around a road race track, not a drag strip. lol's.

Don't worry though, I partake in drag strip activities every once in a while too.

A new Busa owner at 71! That's great! I bought my Busa last year (at age 52) when I found my FJR wasn't fast enough for me. Hell, ... all of a sudden I don't feel so old!
biggrin.gif

That's one awesome father you have!!
super.gif

Hey, it's supposed to work the opposite. Us dads are supposed to be checking out you young guys busas and end up buying one for ourselves. Happened to me!
beerchug.gif

I just had mine on the track last week. I would recommend raising the bike as much as possible. Also get a high mount exhaust. Mine is stock except for OSF rear sets, and I drug the left can and the faring on the right.

Other than that, it's a lot of fun on the track.

Paul Steen

(psteen @ Sep. 12 2006,14:23) I just had mine on the track last week.  I would recommend raising the bike as much as possible.  Also get a high mount exhaust.  Mine is stock except for OSF rear sets, and I drug the left can and the faring on the right.

Other than that, it's a lot of fun on the track.

Paul Steen
This whole time I thought your screen name meant " Play Station Teen " LOL now I see it's your first int and last name.

I've done about 8 - 10 track days on my busa and moved up to Intermediate, but I dont think the Bus will let me advance much further. Which is fine as I have no interested in getting better and better, just having fun. Mine is totally stock except for heli-bars. I never see "raced out" busa's at the track - it's just not worth it. As an advanced rider you could probably get a lot more out of it than I, but it is heavy and wears you out.

I paid a suspension expert at the track to setup up my suspension and it made a world of difference in handling, but still, this would not be my track bike of choice if I was 'good'. But it IS a lot of fun on the track!

post-6-49863-hpt6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto to WJD just said mine is all stock and im 6 ft with my knee dragging on both sides I have never dragged any part of the bike and my knee pucks are worn . I never have to come out of 3rd gear and thats why im getting a GSXR750 this weekend. The bike makes me a lazy rider because there is no shifting to do just easy throttle up and down. The bike handles very well. My front end never comes up on me (im 200 lbs) and my tires have never gotten loose in or out of the corners. I will say its a work out though by the end of the day im beat. I keep myself in good shape but it still kicks my ass. I cant wait too see what dropping 150 lbs off the bike will feel like. Its a great bike but I feel the 750 will help me advance my skills more. Im sure trying to keep the Busa along with it.

hehehehe yeah, just had a track Day Monday - it was a wet track half the day - I stayed in 2nd gear for ALL my sessions! topped out at 120ish on the straits, but I didn't care. I KNOW it can stomp the straits, nuttin to prove there
smile.gif

Thanks for the input. I am taking it out for a solo ride this week to see if it is still what I want. I may have my wife talked into a 3rd bike which makes all of this really easy. Bandit for work, GSXR 1000 for solo weekend rides and track days and a Busa for the double dating! I'm working it!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Back