1st ride on the R1

vman1300

Never Forgotten
As most know, I aquired a 2005 R1 a few months back. With all that has been going on and with the bike still in Atlanta after some major suspension mods, I havent spent but about 20 miles in the saddle on the way home from the shop.

Before I go any futher, MAJOR shout out to Ted for meeting up with a few of my Atlanta friends to transport my R1 to the Bash. I owe ya one my friend.

At the Bash, I spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning on the Busa, a machine I am very comfortable with at the Gap. I made quite a few great passes Friday afternoon and more than likely my smoothest pass ever Saturday morning with a couple of new friends from Nashville on a 06 R6 and a 748. It was great riding with you two.

After an afternoon break for some rest and food, I saddled up the R1. Current mods include:

Akrapovic Full Titanium Evolution
PCIII
Pazzo's
BMC
Graves stacks
Graves block off plates
Graves sliders
Graves clutch slider

And what I was most excited about....

AK20 cartridge kit in the front forks
Penske double rear shock

The above were installed by Traxxion Dynamics. If my past experience was any indication of what to expect, I was in for miles of smiles.

I left the Phillips and headed up to the Gap. In just casual curves, I could fell the improvement in the forks especially. I know I only spent about 20 miles before the suspension changes, but with my weight ALL stock suspension in not gonna cut it.

Under light to medium braking, there was no more of the dive in the front forks. And in the corners, the planted feel was amazing. I have been a big pusher of suspension modifications and I still believe it should be at the top of your mod list as well.

Once on the Hill, and after finding out where the THP were, mile marker 6, I began my 1st trip through on the R1.

By mile marker 2, I was getting more and more comfy on my new track weapon. Even hitting my knees on quite a few corners. Something I have never done on a new to me machine on a maiden journey.

The suspension was just that confidence inspiring.

By mile 3 and 4 I was really moving, coming into corners faster than I exit them on the Busa. At mile marker 5, a wonderful sweeping up hill left, knee on the ground, sparks flying and...THP right there...at mile 5 not 6.....

Thankfully they were kind busy......

On to the overlook, I took my time, just to be sure there were no more LEO's there.

While at the overlook, another THP rolled through, making 3 total there. I bided my time and waited them out. After all 3 made their way out...I headed back to the CROT......

The ride back was amazing. The R1 is an incrediable machine in the twisties. So flickable, keep the RPM's above 9k and corner exits are....well...hummmm kinda fun......

Overall I am very happy with my new to me track weapon and the power is impressive. I just cant wait to get some quality track time on this machine.

Great report, Kevin! I'm glad you were able to make it to the Bash and have a great time! Props to Ted for arranging the transport!
super.gif

Can't wait to see ya in the Spring, Brother!
beerchug.gif

Kevin,
It was my pleasure helping get the bike to it's owner... Remember what goes around comes around. Remember Spring bash, you had a stator cover which I was in need of... it made my weekend and allowed me to continue to ride and ride home after the bash. So, thank you for being you and until the next time at the Gap or whenever I'm in Ashville. Ted

(omslaw @ Sep. 30 2007,19:20) Great report, Kevin!  I'm glad you were able to make it to the Bash and have a great time!  Props to Ted for arranging the transport!  
super.gif

Can't wait to see ya in the Spring, Brother!  
beerchug.gif
I tried to get Ted to take it through the Gap but he said it was gonna cost him too much money, lol....

The one thing I did notice about the R1...it is loud.....

See ya in April!

(shortcut @ Sep. 30 2007,19:40) nice R1 v-man. you seemed absorbed with the machine. kool
super.gif
It shares about the same HP as a stock Busa but at a much higher RPM.

To say I was impressed was an understatement.

(Powers739 @ Sep. 30 2007,20:03) Kevin,
It was my pleasure helping get the bike to it's owner...  Remember what goes around comes around.  Remember Spring bash, you had a stator cover which I was in need of... it made my weekend and allowed me to continue to ride and ride home after the bash.  So, thank you for being you and until the next time at the Gap or whenever I'm in Ashville. Ted
I know my bro, but still I owe ya one....

You need me, I am there.

(vman1300 @ Sep. 30 2007,20:55)
(Powers739 @ Sep. 30 2007,20:03) Kevin,
It was my pleasure helping get the bike to it's owner...  Remember what goes around comes around.  Remember Spring bash, you had a stator cover which I was in need of... it made my weekend and allowed me to continue to ride and ride home after the bash.  So, thank you for being you and until the next time at the Gap or whenever I'm in Ashville. Ted
I know my bro, but still I owe ya one....

You need me, I am there.
Likewise my Friend! Don't hesitate...DON'T! I'm only a few miles away.

Vman, you had mentioned a shop to redo the Busa forks. What was the name?

(PDBusa @ Oct. 01 2007,11:10) Vman, you had mentioned a shop to redo the Busa forks. What was the name?
Contact Mike at Traxxion Dynamics.

Email mike@traxxion.com

Traxxion's website

On the Busa, I use the Axxion re-valve/re-spring in the front and the rear is a stock one revalve/re-sprung for a Fatt Kidd.

On the R1, I went a step more. The front I had the AK20's installed and a Penske rear shock.

The Busa NEEDS a spring change at the bare minimum for the front.

(PDBusa @ Oct. 01 2007,13:54) what did the busa work cost ya? You can Pm if you'd rather.
The Axxion revalve is $799 if I remember correctly and worth every penny.

The shock I picked up used from the .oRg.

I think you will be OK on the shock at your size. Call Mike and discuss possible options.

Sweet ride for a Yamadog..
laugh.gif

The Man and his new to him trackbike..
super.gif

Fall_Bash_2007_120_640x480.jpg

(vman1300 @ Oct. 01 2007,08:20)
(PDBusa @ Oct. 01 2007,11:10) Vman, you had mentioned a shop to redo the Busa forks. What was the name?
Contact Mike at Traxxion Dynamics.

Email mike@traxxion.com

Traxxion's website

On the Busa, I use the Axxion re-valve/re-spring in the front and the rear is a stock one revalve/re-sprung for a Fatt Kidd.

On the R1, I went a step more. The front I had the AK20's installed and a Penske rear shock.

The Busa NEEDS a spring change at the bare minimum for the front.
thanks for the infor. i can tell i need something else too. if i ride 2-up..

Back