1st gen. starter clutch design change over the years

jbizmirli

Registered
I have an '04 Hayabusa. The engine just came back from shop with partial rebuild. I had provided them good condition used crank (model year was unknown)
It turns out this crank uses a different starter clutch. Because crank has a flat spot on the splines which makes the clutch gear install only one way, as opposed to the old one where the gear installs in any direction but the marks need to be lined up. Seems like an effort to fool proof the installation process.

It looks like this change occured in '05 (See below link for these two types). But I want to make sure before I order it, as it costs over $200.

Did any body ever notice this? Am I OK to order '05-'07 generation?

Thanks for reading and your help!

P.S. I hope this posting will help those who are in market for a replacement crank for their bike. This tiny detail could cost you a lot of money too.

-Ben-

Order the 05+ starter clutch setup, you can probably source it used for less. It's an improved design, eliminates the kickback which breaks cases. I was unaware the crank itself was different, but the newer starter/starter clutch setup is far superior.

Order the 05+ starter clutch setup, you can probably source it used for less. It's an improved design, eliminates the kickback which breaks cases. I was unaware the crank itself was different, but the newer starter/starter clutch setup is far superior.
The starter clutches, and the covers where all updated back in late 02, and are the same from then till 07!

The only the that may be different is the cam chain gear that slide on to the crank. If you have your old crank, just swap the gear!

^^ I wasn't sure of the year, but my updated starter setup came from an 05, so I knew I was safe saying that. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. GIXERHP, replacement crank came with cam chain gear which has a flat spot in the teeth for one-way installation as well. Like I mentioned earlier, this crank is different than '04 crank in that there is a flat spot on the teeth which makes Starter Clutch gear installation one way too. So I was hoping someone noticed this on the different year cranks, as I did. I was hoping to validate '05+ cranks were different that way? I can post pictures if that helps.

The only ones that i know for sure are the Gen 2 stroker cranks!
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. GIXERHP, replacement crank came with cam chain gear which has a flat spot in the teeth for one-way installation as well. Like I mentioned earlier, this crank is different than '04 crank in that there is a flat spot on the teeth which makes Starter Clutch gear installation one way too. So I was hoping someone noticed this on the different year cranks, as I did. I was hoping to validate '05+ cranks were different that way? I can post pictures if that helps.

Call or PM Jay at APE. He has forgot more about busa cranks than most people ever knew....
Pics always help!

Alright. I just posted my first video on YouTube for this purpose. Not the best but it will serve the purpose :-)
1390 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update:
I sent out the link for the YouTube video but it hasn't made it to the thread because it needed to be reviewed by the site admin here. Hopefully it will make it here soon.

Which makes me wonder if there is certain way of posting links to YouTube. If there is, please let me know. Thanks!

I am not sure what year the gen 1 cranks, and crank sprocket changed to the missing spline tooth. You could go to a site like cycle parts nation and see when the crank part numbers changed.

The difference started with the new upgrade in late 02. The 02- early starter clutches will fit all cranks from 99-07 but the 03 up clutches will only fit the 03 -07 cranks. i have both cranks and both clutches and just tried them..

I have a nice used one if needed..paypal accepted..

The old way we did it when we got the wrong one for the flat spot crank was to grind or file the inside of one spline flat..just a old timer trick.

Dremel a spline out, I have done it on 3 stroker upgrades!
The difference started with the new upgrade in late 02. The 02- early starter clutches will fit all cranks from 99-07 but the 03 up clutches will only fit the 03 -07 cranks. i have both cranks and both clutches and just tried them..

I have a nice used one if needed..paypal accepted..

The old way we did it when we got the wrong one for the flat spot crank was to grind or file the inside of one spline flat..just a old timer trick.

I have an '04 Hayabusa. The engine just came back from shop with partial rebuild. I had provided them good condition used crank (model year was unknown) It turns out this crank uses a different starter clutch. Because crank has a flat spot on the splines which makes the clutch gear install only one way, as opposed to the old one where the gear installs in any direction but the marks need to be lined up. Seems like an effort to fool proof the installation process. It looks like this change occured in '05 (See below link for these two types). But I want to make sure before I order it, as it costs over $200. Did any body ever notice this? Am I OK to order '05-'07 generation? Thanks for reading and your help! P.S. I hope this posting will help those who are in market for a replacement crank for their bike. This tiny detail could cost you a lot of money too. -Ben-
image.jpg

I got a new starter clutch with no timing marks and a tooth missing out of the gear that slides over the shaft. I spun it around a minute and it would not go on til finAlly it fit right on with a bump of m palm. I’m hoping they did this cause it only goes on one way

image.jpg

Back