1999 Speedo on 2003 Busa?

GSX1300RSILVER

Registered
I want to purchase the 1999 225MPH Speedo from the dealer since nobody seems to offer them, my Question is
Is it just a swap parts or are the Plugs Different on the wires?
What is involved?
I dont want to just change out the face for an aftermarket one.
There shouldnt be any reason why the hall sensors would be different on the accuracy, should there?

Should be a straight swap. You will still have the standard 7-12% error, but this can be corrected with a yellow box while still coinciding with the mileage (unlike getting faceplates and doing the same).

Hey Narc,

I always respect your advice.  Never would I question a true technician's position on technical issues, but my question regarding the swap of guages would be this..."Wouldn't the error be greater than the standard 7-12%?  It seems that the position of the needle would be the same at let's say...50mph on a standard guage.  On a 99 guage, wouldn't the readout be higher?  Say maybe an indication of 60mph compared to the 50mph on a standard guage?  The actual speed wouldn't change but your indication would be much different shouldn't it?  Therefore, I would think that the error on a guage that is changed from an '01-'03 guage to a '99-'00 guage would probably be closer to 18% or even as high as 20%.  I'm saying all this because I just recently did the conversion with my guages.  I have a yellow box, but haven't mounted it yet until I find an inexpensive way to get a good (fairly accurate) detection device that won't put a strain on my pocketbook.  Looking into maybe an inexpensive Garmin GPS, but that may be wishful thinking.

Brian  
idea.gif

sigh.gif

Bacharles,
I was thinking the same thing, but if he replaces the whole unit, not just the face, I imagine we would be right back to the standard Busa 7-12%.

The speedo, as a whole unit, is independent of other components. The sensor on the front sprocket goes straight to the speedo, the ECU is not in the loop. Once you swap it for a 99 or 2000 unit, what you see is what you get (minus standard error).

Now, if you keep the 185 MPH speedo and swap faceplates, that is where you have problems. You can correct the signal going into the speedo, but, in essence, only the needle will 'appear' correct. When it reads 220, it really reads ~190, and your mileage reading will reflect this. Basically, to make the faceplate 'look' right, you have to make the speedo 'read' wrong.

Hence, getting a whole new unit, albeit more expensive in the short-term, saves some trouble.

Now, if one really wanted, they could open the speedo and alter the signal going to the step motor circuit that runs the needle and alter the sweep there, leaving the signal into the speedo unit itself unchanged. But, that is a bit of an undertaking in itself.

Oh, BTW, ALWAYS question advice. How else can you sort the good advice from the bad advice?
biggrin.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Narcissus Thank You,
This is what I want to hear, and this is why I want to buy a new 99 model speedo from the dealer, No B.S. just plug & play and then I will have the original like the 99.
I just wanted to be sure as I read on one of the boards that the plug wires were different.

Oh, BTW, ALWAYS question advice. How else can you sort the good advice from the bad advice?
biggrin.gif
thumbs-up.gif
Thanx Narc,

Now I understand it a whole lot better. One other question: Would using a yellow box along with a GPS, or something similar, help correct the error caused by just simply changing the faceplate?

Brian

I want to purchase the 1999 225MPH Speedo from the dealer since nobody seems to offer them, my Question is
Is it just a swap parts or are the Plugs Different on the wires?
What is involved?
I dont want to just change out the face for an aftermarket one.
There shouldnt be any reason why the hall sensors would be different on the accuracy, should there?
BTW GSX1300RSILVER, how much does the dealer charge for this setup? Just curious. The bike shop I have in my hometown are some of the biggest ripoff artists known to man, and I'm sure a lot of people on this site can attest to that. It's really sad when you spend good money for something and you can't get decent service. I honestly feel that Suzuki shops only hire salespeople and not people with any technical expertise. Much different from auto dealerships. Then on the other hand, I don't really characterize motorcycle salespeople as true salespeople because they don't really sell motorcycles. Motorcycles sell themselves. Sorry guys/gals, I was on the soapbox for a minute, but I'm down now.

Brian

Brian

Back