1999 Hayabusa

Great point too... Dont ever seem to see good Busas under 5k
But a little more does get you newer....
So they have a different computer in the 02+ models....?
Is the long block the same or is there revisions/improvements...
(Other than starter and tensioner)....
I really really liked my 14... Got rid of it to save money and ended up adding 40 hours a month OT to my work schedule right after....

At this age do they start nickel and diming ....
Little things start needing replacing or are they pretty time immune?
With such low miles I'm guessing any issues will be with stuff that goes bad over time..
Hoses etc...?

Next trip to the dealer, take a nice bright flashlight, and have good look inside the fuel tank. I just bought an 05 busa with 1400 miles on it. Cosmetically the bike looked near showroom, but the tank interior was an absolute train wreck of varnish and rust. Took a full day of my time, and a couple hundred bucks to make it right. New tank was gonna run me $1200 bucks. If hoses are original, I'd factor in replacement costs on them right off the bat, possibly brake lines too. No motor vehicle is immune to time. I'm ordering tires this week to replace my "like new" nine year old factory originals.

On it.. Thanks!...

Am going to drop by on my way home tonight to start it and listen to it/ see if the two bros pipes are going to be too noisy for my apRtments..( i leave for work at 5:20 am) I will look in the tank for sure now...
The gas went bad and they said they pulled the tank to clean it and had to replace the pump.
Tires are brand new pilot powers... If they will do it i want pilot roads put on instead... I commute too much for the powers... I wonder how much it will cost to do hoses and brake lines in parts...
This bike was in a garage most of its life... Theres a battery tender pigtail hanging off the right side as well...
Good tip Devious1

Wonder if they bothered to clean the injectors or if a clogged injector could hurt the motor if it went on too long...?

Ask them if they replaced the filter as well, they should have if they replaced the pump.

I believe he said either "filter" or "filters"
If i get there in time ill go ask service what they did and question at least the filter and injectors...

I have the same year black n silver, awesome looking bike. Pump replacement is a good one.
Overall the bike is solid, built to last a long time. You can do most of the little DIY's, the forum guru's here have lots of knowledge to assist. Get all the oils replaced as well.

Yeah... Something like that... Not sure what the previous owner used it for with so few miles.
Slip ons and a rack... Makes no sense to me... But the bike is REALLY clean everywhere.
When i get back to town tomorrow i will check the tank, look for a power commander, start it up etc...
See what happens...

5-6K seems high for a 15 year old motorcycle, despite the mileage.

Hop on Cycle Trader.com & do a nationwide search for Gen-I busas and you'll get an idea of what going price.

Private seller via CraigsList run you $1000 less than a dealer sale.

It has a Ventura Rack on it. Handy!

Finally getting a break to go take another look into that Busa...
BUT ...The GSM at the dealer hurt his back over the weekend so i couldn't discuss the bike with him...
I am thinking i can get the bike high 4's to 5k... Two brothers exhaust (older kind c series)
Cant tell if theres a power commander.. Not sure if its real easy to pull the main seat or not.. Nothing was under the passenger seat...

There are 2 - 6mm bolts that hold the front seat on.
Take a 5mm Allen wrench with you (it would save them for looking for one) and you could have the seat off in 30 seconds. :laugh:

I noticed from the picture you posted that the gas tank is missing the "S" on it.

Makes me wonder if they repainted the tank and or the entire bike.
Maybe it's so clean because they fixed it up form a crash or tip over.
Do you homework to investigate what is what.

I agree with Pashnit - $5000 is high for a 15 year old bike.

What city do you live in?
Personally I would look at bikes no older then about 04 or 05 because they seem to be problem free
for the most part as I can attest to because I have a problem free 04. JMHO.

I noticed from the picture you posted that the gas tank is missing the "S" on it.

Makes me wonder if they repainted the tank and or the entire bike.
Maybe it's so clean because they fixed it up form a crash or tip over.
Do you homework to investigate what is what.

I agree with Pashnit - $5000 is high for a 15 year old bike.

Good catch!... Im not 100% certain what the paint should feel like at where the lighter and darker colors meet..
BUT the tank is in fact different feeling like theres a clear coat.. The tight and left fairings dont appear to have a clear coat on top of where the different colors meet...
I am just sitting back and watching for what comes up....
Also trying to see if I can afford a family members '57 Pickup in driver condition... May have to wait on the busa if i get a hold of the truck...

Ok.... Back in the hunt... The 99 is still at the dealer... Prob have them down to 4800 with brand new tires
As for the missing S... I am not familiar enough with the paint on those..
Is the tank clear coated while the rest isnt?

I believe all of the bike(s) are clear coated all the way around.

It should all feel smooth and a little slippery.

If it is $4800 out the door then I would say OK but not if you have to pay any fees and or taxes etc.
Is there any warranty of any kind?

If there are fees and no warranty I would continue to look as I believe that even newer bikes would be in that price range.

Good luck with whatever you do. :thumbsup:

Ok... I guess i will move on... I will have to pay tax and title transfer.
The color changes on the big side fairings have an edge.. It feels higher where the darker color is..
The tank is glossy and less feelable line which is all under clear coat...
Its so clean i hate to think its been repaired but looks lie that may be the case..
Thanks for the info!

So I went to look at an overpriced '06 and i checked out the tank and fairings.
I feel a little better about the 99 by me ... The '06 has the same lacquer look to the tank but not the fairings. You can feel the stickers just the same.
Not sure why the S's are missing but the tank and fairings appear to be factory.
For about 4800 with a brand new set of tires I'm feeling pretty satisfied with the age of it vs price.
The more i look around and see prices of these (i may have dropped the ball by waiting til it got warm) its looking better and better.
Going to go take a final peek at it tomorrow (1 mile from my apartment) and try to decide on it.

It's probably true that the price could go up as summer is basically here.

If you really want that 99 ask if you can test ride it. If it rides OK and you want it, see if they would go for $5,000 OTD.
Can you dig up the cash (Green stuff works best) Sometimes that might work - as that bike has been there awhile, right?

If they won't budge then you will have to make the decision as to how bad you want it.
Not knowing anything about it you could be asking for some trouble.

You said the 06 was over priced but it is 7 years newer.

Good luck on your decision.

Back