1999 Hayabusa- dead fuel pump?

CrustyOreo

Registered
So I picked this bike up not running. Fuel tank smells like old fuel so I put fresh gas in it. Has a PCIII as well.
It cranks over easy but doesn't fire. I checked the fuses and their good. I get 12V at the fuel pump connector while cranking. Tried jumping the fuel pump and nothing. The fuel pump also shows an open circuit on an ohmeter. Sounds like a dead fuel pump to me, right? Is there anyway to repair it?

Thanks

If it were me, I'd remove the fuel pump, disassemble that puppy and test the motor. If it pumped 6 oz in 10 seconds I clean the filter and put that puppy back in place.

Save your self future trouble, upgrade to the 01 and up tank / pump set up. I just had an 08 (Gen 2 ) tank and pump installed on mine. Bike never ran better!

sounds like clogged filters/injectors. Swapping out the tank is expensive overkill, plus tank doesnt match bike unless repainted. Try that on a 1999 copper bike...

New upgraded pump is $58 on Eboy but I would check for rust in the tank, you have a major fuel system cleaning job ahead most likely.

BB

sounds like clogged filters/injectors. Swapping out the tank is expensive overkill, plus tank doesnt match bike unless repainted. Try that on a 1999 copper bike...

New upgraded pump is $58 on Eboy but I would check for rust in the tank, you have a major fuel system cleaning job ahead most likely.

BB

I agree it's cost effective to just replace the pump and/or clean the system. But you will only run into this issue again and again, so why not fix it permanently? I also have a 99. BTW it only cost me $350 in parts, including the tank and pump assembly. :beerchug:

I also added a secondary low pressure pump ( $30 + fittings) and have had the bike in south on trip in hot and it never failed once. BTW, my solution is permanent...

Search the org for the post

Do you think I will find a mint tank for $350 then try and repaint it exactly like stock copper/silver with decals?

BB

I also added a secondary low pressure pump ( $30 + fittings) and have had the bike in south on trip in hot and it never failed once. BTW, my solution is permanent...

Search the org for the post

Do you think I will find a mint tank for $350 then try and repaint it exactly like stock copper/silver with decals?

BB

Anything is possible my friend. You could find a mint tank for cheap, they are on Ebay for under $300 including pump. I was only saying that by doing the new style tank and pump, you can save your self time and money if the pump ever goes bad, ya know? It's an easier job then pulling apart the external pump. And i'm not knocking your work, what you did was great. :beerchug:

PA99,

I a m not knocking yours. Prior to my post there was no cheap ( proven) solution available to 99/2000 owners, now there is.

That is the point. The cost to repaint to stock on a 1999 copper tank would cost a fortune and not look original.

BB

Back