1999 Cutting out????

bikerbart

Registered
Hi Everyone i have just came across this website and i was hoping that someone would be able to help me!
I have a 1999 Hayabusa which is my pride and joy, unfortunatley when I hit a town the engine cuts out. After 10-15minutes it will start again and go fine. I have checked everything i can think of and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas?? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
BikerBart

Welcome to the board. We need some more information. Did this just start happening out of the blue? Did you change or modify something and then start seeing the problem? Have you disconnected and checked the battery? Does it do this every time you ride? Be patient, there are lots more folks with more knowledge than I, just trying to start somewhere.

I bought the bike over a year ago and its happened since day 1 on me. There is a modified exaust on the bike. I have checked the battery a couple of times. It doesnt happen everytime. It can go for weeks without any problems and then it starts again. Thanks for getting back to me!

Hmm, how bad is the cutout? Does it die completely and wont restart until it cools off? Wow, we need more knowledge than I have. Sounds like something is heat soaked or electrical. Have you taken the plastics off and checked every connector and every wire for burns or loose connections?

perhaps low fuel pressure..

as fuel system warms (low speeds low air flow) could be the fuel supply is being interrupted.. at least worth a check I suppose..

I'd say if you can afford the investment take it to a dealer and have them take a crack at it.

Fuel filters have been posted a lot for 99 busa's as being a problem for engines cutting in and out (I did a search trying to resolve my own problem similar to yours).

Also as suggested in one of the threads during my search was to do a quick rundown of the power systems that support the bike...Air, Fuel, Spark.

Have you checked the air filter, maybe it needs to be cleaned/replaced.

The fuel filter?

Try to isolate the cause of the problem, you say when you hit town...what is it about town that differs from everywhere else, is it the elevation?, the poor road work causing vibrations, just the fact that you're riding at a slower speed?

Have a friend follow you out for a 3am run, hit the freeway, drive at town speeds (so you don't get plastered by a speeding semi during traffic hours) does the bike still bog/cut in and out?

Try just sitting on the bike, rev the engine like you were riding...Rev to 5k, pull back to 3k, rev to 7k, pull back to 5k etc. (don't just redline it)

If it's a fuel filter problem I assume doing the above would replicate the problem as if you were driving in slow town speeds.

How many miles you got on the bike, have you have your valves adjusted? etc.

Good luck in your efforts in finding this gremlin.

Hope to see you rippin it hard soon.

i have recently installed a new K&N air filter, new fuel filters, new plugs, also checked its not a fuel problem. Bike cuts out completley and doesnt restart until completley cooled down.Thanks a million for your help guys its much appreciated.

Back