1999 Busa stopped running FI light on

If it turns over but won't fire probably fuel pump fuse. Left upper side. Lots of posts on those fuses. If it doesn't turn over main starter relay fuse rear left side (also search posts). My fuel pump fuse has gone twice. First time the idle adjust knob shorted. Second time unknown reason. Hope this helps. And here's a pics of my 99.

100_1225.jpg

Your diagnosis is right on - fuel pump fuse out? So what's the deal 11 years no probs. and suddenly the fuel pump fuse blows?

Don't know how many miles you have on that pump, but it could be wearing out or maybe you need to clean/change the fuel filter...

The fuse box has two spares, a 10 and 15, used the 10 - started right up. So what's the procedure for determining why fuse went?
Thanks for your help.

dadofthree:
the bike has all stock componets except the DynoJet module, after market exhaust and air filter mod. Had the valves checked at 28,000 miles, just a few 1,000 miles ago, they were fine and noted on the ride when the motor stopped due to the fuse the idle was low, about 500 rpms. Could this contribute? I raised the idle to 1,000 rpm.

Ok, when my FP fuse went the second time here's what I did. I can't guarantee 100% correlation but has not happened since.

1) changed the 2 main fuel lines (overflow and the main one). The overflow was folded up by the tank. I used one from the auto store, with the internal structure and I put the original external spring back on. The bike used to make the high pitched whine but not since the line change.

2) checked all electrical connections and put di-electric greese on all. Also put shrink tube on any that had exposed copper showing when connected.

I'm not going inside that pump unless absolutely necessary.

That's all I got.

jphillips
Will explore your procedure when I have more time, gonna take a ride to see if the fuse hods up.
Thanks for all the help.
Going to finish the ride interrupted yesterday with the fuse failure. I did put some Redline Injector cleaner into the gas tank; maybe that'l help?
Although I joined the group in 1999 I've not had much time to engage with the Busa. Dyno Jet used my Busa to set up their mapping program in 1999, they did not charge me for the dyno set up and installed my Akropovich exhaust at no charge. Of course, I took the Busa to them in Las Vegas. Never had a problem in 11 years though I've only put 30,000 miles on the Busa.

Back