1989 GSXR1100K Ride Report & Review from Downunder

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Hey everyone!
Today was a special day for me, I woke to a warm sunny day here in GodZone (NZ) and rode a '89 GSXR1100K!
My riding buddy Mark has purchased a GSXR1100K with low miles and in great condition, stored for years so needed some refreshing.
He is meticulous about his bikes, his main ride is a GSXR1100J, he's had it since '97 and we go riding every chance we can.
A few months ago he found a tidy GSXR750F and is in the process of restoring it, although really there is little to do apart from the usual mechanical checks and servicing.
Then two months ago he found the K model for sale and snapped it up for NZ$3800, in US$2562, a great deal!
He's spent $150 on service items, fork oil, engine oil and filter, brake and clutch fluid, removed swingarm and greased all bearings, spark plugs, air filter etc.
So he called me last night and said he needed a test pilot and I willingly accepted the position.
Now I have owned and ridden 30K miles on a GSXR1100M from '97 to '00, so I thought this would be like slipping on an old pair of shoes. But how wrong was I.
After 19 years and a few different but great bikes later, I had forgotten how these bikes feel and handle!

Here's my buddy, parking it in his driveway ready for me . . .
IMG_2535.JPG

Test Pilot Kiwi Rider reporting for duty . . . SIR!!
IMG_2540.JPG

We filled the bikes at the gas station, he paid so that was nice!
IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

We took off around the bays and I felt quite at home on it.
The Busa that I'm used to is way more roomier, on this bike the tanks is skinnier with my legs closer together but the pegs are set a bit higher than the Busa so my knees were bent more.
The seat is smaller than the Busa and way less foam, but not too bad for comfort.
The bars were in exactly the right position and my back was reasonably upright, pretty comfy riding position overall
The suspension was pretty good overall. The roads around the bays are really poorly repaired and bumpy as hell, with multiple tight corners and a few short straights to pass traffic, and there was a lot of traffic today, being so warm, 30degC.
I'm comparing this bike to the Busa, because the Busa is the standard reference marker for us all here, and this will be my opinion, based on a shedload of sportbike riding over 30 years.
The brakes:
The front brake had a lot of lever travel (original rubber brake hoses), almost came into the bars but worked ok, quite soft but also quite progressive stopping power, I HATE a lot of lever travel, my score- average.
The rear brake surprised me with good feel and progressive braking power, lever travel was minimal and firm feel, original rubber hose, unusual for this model but the rotor looked in great shape, have no idea which pads are fitted., my score- Good to Very good

The suspension:
The forks: had good compression and rebound, sag was not set but appeared ok. The fork comp and rebound adjusters were set to standard settings, absorbed the bumps well, front end was overall stable and well behaved, dive was minimal. Score- Good to Very Good
The rear shock: once again, the sag was not set but the spring measurement was at the max preload at 189mm, max is 191mm. Min is 181mm.
Rebound and compression settings were at standard and shock appeared to work really well
The shock felt like it had too much rebound when pushing the back down and releasing, slower to return than to compress. But on the road it worked great, no thumping or ass kicking over the bigger bumps.

The tires:
Front and rear were fitted with matching Bridgestones, unsure of the model, didn't look, approx 5% worn, in near new condition but at least 5 years old.
I was concerned they would be hard and out of useable condition, but the opposite was true! They warmed up with some good aggressive riding and stuck to road really well, never had any moments at all.

The Steering:
The steering damper was removed due to it leaking and being repaired at present. The steering head bearings have just been removed, inspected, cleaned, regreased, refitted and readjusted.
The steering was excellent overall, ok so it's not a Busa but it steering neutral, the turn in was easy and predictable, there was little to no deviation in the corners at speed (100kmh to 180kmh) held it's line nicely with the ability to avoid objects on the road by steering around the object, so I liked the steering, as good as the Busa (well, almost) but with the damper fitted, who knows? I hate steering dampers personally, they tend to slow the steering down too much for me. Score- Very Good.

These bikes of this vintage, '89 K model, are shorter wheelbase than the early G, H, and J model slabsides, they also have 17 inch wheels (the slabbers have 18" front and rear) and a steeper steering angle so slow speed manoeuvers and turns are 'easier' than the older GSXR's and Busas. They are also a bit lighter than the Busa.

Power:
Well, this is where it gets technical, it is a 1127cc oil cooled motor (Toad knows these engines well!) with great top end power good mid range torque and good low end pull.
I found that because it only has 5 gears and the gearing is quite low with wider spaced ratios compared to the Busa, I was constantly going for top gear, even though I was already in 5th gear.
At 160kmh (100mph) the rev counter showed 6500rpm, well the Busa is only 5200rpm
When pulling out to pass cars at 120kmh (75mph) I really needed to go down to 4th gear to be in the right power/torque rev range. Ok, I could just leave it in top gear, but it just did not accelerate fast enough as I am used to with the Busa.
The power is good, don't get me wrong, but it's "old world" power, just less than I require and am accustomed to lol.
The motor was strong and had no misfires at all, plenty of intake roar when under full throttle, OEM stainless steel exhaust was quiet, motor revved cleanly up to 10,000rpm in each gear, power wheelies in 1st, a little wheelie when shifting to 2nd, the gearbox was smooth with no false neutrals or selection issues, and the clutch was good, better than my Busa clutch, no chattering when feeding power through it from take off.
Vibration was there, especially in the mid range, comes through the bars as a tingley feeling up to around 6k rpm, then after that goes smooth as the revs increase all the way to redline, 11,500rpm. Typical of these engines.
Score - Excellent overall.

Chassis:
Great chassis! I love these bikes, have done ever since I saw my old M model for the first time 22 years ago.
The chassis is rigid and taught, no flex at all that I can detect. Light weight, good design, and this particular bike rode as straight as an arrow. Exactly as I remembered my old '91 M model, just fanbloodytastic!
Swingarm is rigid, steering angle/rake and trail spot on, can't fault it.
Score - Brilliant!

So, we had a great day, awesome weather, awesome ride, no cops, stopped at a couple of watering holes and I had a big ol' steak meal, chatted to some other biker brothers, ca not complain at all!
Hope y'all enjoyed my write up, more to come!

Here's a few more pics to wet the whistle . . .
IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

Nice job I used to have the same model as the one you are putting petrol in i think cant remember a 91 model but in blue white black colour :thumbsup:
The bike being fuelled up in the photo by my buddy is actually a '88 J model Special Edition, quite a rare bike in that black with gold decals.
The other bike is the one I rode today, '89K Model GSXR1100.
Which one did you have? If it was a '91M model, it looks similar to the K model.

Great write up Kiwi , really enjoyed the ride along on that immaculate K model . The wheelbase was the shortest of all the GSXR11's , and needed a steering damper for most riders because they could tank slap an over enthusiastic rider . The K was the choice for someone wanting to build a hot rod though , because it came with a removable top shock mount bracket , ( same as 750 ) and Yoshimura for example made threaded ride height adjuster that you could swap out , and get a nice braced 750 swingarm to mate up and you got a swervery monster !!
I think @busafan08 must of had a 'slabbie' either '86 G ,87 H , 88 J , the 'J' had the 3 spoke 18" wheels , exactly the bike Kiwi's great mate rides .
I just seen you answered thus Kiwi , anyway what a great thread / post my friend !!

Great write up Kiwi , really enjoyed the ride along on that immaculate K model . The wheelbase was the shortest of all the GSXR11's , and needed a steering damper for most riders because they could tank slap an over enthusiastic rider . The K was the choice for someone wanting to build a hot rod though , because it came with a removable top shock mount bracket , ( same as 750 ) and Yoshimura for example made threaded ride height adjuster that you could swap out , and get a nice braced 750 swingarm to mate up and you got a swervery monster !!
I think @busafan08 must of had a 'slabbie' either '86 G ,87 H , 88 J , the 'J' had the 3 spoke 18" wheels , exactly the bike Kiwi's great mate rides .
I just seen you answered thus Kiwi , anyway what a great thread / post my friend !!
Yeah, an 'over enthusiastic rider' will always be subject to problems, crashing being one. It steered just fine without the damper, even hit a few potholes and it never shook it's head once.
I never knew that about the Yoshi adjustable shock for the K model, but have heard of the 750 arms being swapped out, makes it even shorter!
As for the 3 spoke 18" rims, very rare and hard to come by if you need one, damged for instance. I've seen a few slabbers with 17" rims fitted, good mod.
If you look at the pic of the two of them at the gas station, you can actually see how much shorter and smaller in physical size the K model is compared to the J. Quite noticeable. And if you ride them back to back on the same roads, the difference in turning/steering is a lot.
I love riding that J model, really takes ya back in time to a forgotten era of motorcycling, nostalgia really kicks in for me. Great times, great bikes!
You 'n me Toad, 2 peas outta the same pod.
My mate Mark is 51, same age as you Andrew, same love for the olden bikes lol.

Awesome read. What a top day. Thanks Kiwi for the memories. Mine not quite as old, I had the first of the water-cooled 1100's.
Glad you enjoyed the write up mate.
Yeah, the W series GSXR1100's were losing the plot, a bit of a whale really, plus a good mate of mine lost his life on one, so sour taste for me :confused:
The first of the Gixxers were definitely the race bike with lights! The one to own, and hang on to as they are now in the collectable price range of $10K plus!
A mint GSXR1100G, blue and white, low miles, totally original and well cared for just sold here in NZ a few days ago for $12,100 at auction.
Two bidders went head to head from start price $10,000.
Suzukis are great bikes, no doubt about it :race:

Here is a pic of the Yoshi ride height adjuster
IMG_20190119_212827.jpg

, mounted in place of the K model plate , on my mates full house K model from the old days !!
IMG_20190119_212912.jpg

That's me old mate , when he was younger and that is his old Gixxer K model , it was a build that used a lot of my old parts that were fabricated for me as well as my Brembo / custom iron front rotor brake set up / rearsets / adj. triples etc. , it featured Marchescini 6.5" / 3.5" magnesium rims , a 1216c motor in that final form , and he could extract 9.64 @ 146mph at stock height as pictured out of that machine , and go straight out into the hills and lay black lines disappearing from all that tried to follow !! I poop you not !! I took phone pics of these pics from magazine feature article Streetbike mag from the day .

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the Yoshi ride height adjusterView attachment 1592118

, mounted in place of the K model plate , on my mates full house K model from the old days !!View attachment 1592120

That's me old mate , when he was younger and that is his old Gixxer K model , it was a build that used a lot of my old parts that were fabricated for me as well as my Brembo / custom iron front rotor brake set up / rearsets / adj. triples etc. , it featured Marchescini 6.5" / 3.5" magnesium rims , a 1216c motor in that final form , and he could extract 9.64 @ 146mph at stock height as pictured out of that machine , and go straight out into the hills and lay black lines disappearing from all that tried to follow !! I poop you not !! I took phone pics of these pics from magazine feature article Streetbike mag from the day .
Mate, that is awesome!
You always have the best of the best, no expense spared in the pursuit of GSXR Supremacy!!
Your mate's K looks an absolute beast, and that was back then when it was hard to source the parts, let alone pay for the good trick bits.
Hats off to the SA Fast Boys of the olden days lmao!

I had an '86 750 and it was one heck of a bike, I should have kept it...that's why I liked my Bandit so much, it has that good 'ol oil boiler engine....

Great write up and nostalgia ride...only you could be so lucky to ride one of these.

Mate, that is awesome!
You always have the best of the best, no expense spared in the pursuit of GSXR Supremacy!!
Your mate's K looks an absolute beast, and that was back then when it was hard to source the parts, let alone pay for the good trick bits.
Hats off to the SA Fast Boys of the olden days lmao!

Forgot to mention , that bike has full carbon fiber bodywork and fuel tank !!
It was sold off to another mate in NT Australia , where it was the fastest bike around and tracked (road raced ) often till , on a visit down south , it got top ended down the Phillip Island race track front straight by a Gen 1 Busa !! That's when you know it's time to update !!:)

Forgot to mention , that bike has full carbon fiber bodywork and fuel tank !!
It was sold off to another mate in NT Australia , where it was the fastest bike around and tracked (road raced ) often till , on a visit down south , it got top ended down the Phillip Island race track front straight by a Gen 1 Busa !! That's when you know it's time to update !!:)
The poor Gixxer rider....putting all that time and effort into his bike only to be passed-talk about an ego deflator.

The poor Gixxer rider....putting all that time and effort into his bike only to be passed-talk about an ego deflator.
My mate who built it , had sold it on to another mate by around '96 , and by 1999 , the new owner was riding at that track , when he was top ended by the 1st Busa '99 model . When we had our GSXR's early to mid '90's , nothing 2 wheeled on the street was any better or faster Australia wide , no crap !!

My mate who built it , had sold it on to another mate by around '96 , and by 1999 , the new owner was riding at that track , when he was top ended by the 1st Busa '99 model . When we had our GSXR's early to mid '90's , nothing 2 wheeled on the street was any better or faster Australia wide , no crap !!
I definitely believe that...those old Gixxers were beasts.

That black and grey color scheme 1100 is hands down my favorite bike of all time. Great write up, you should consider starting a blog....
I agree, they were classy, even the modern Busa has a similar color scheme.

Although my oil boiler Gixxer was red and black, I was partial to the two tone blue and white ones myself.

I agree, they were classy, even the modern Busa has a similar color scheme.

Although my oil boiler Gixxer was red and black, I was partial to the two tone blue and white ones myself.
I like the black/red, and the blue/white, even the red/white slingshot, but man that black/silver is just perfect. There are a few bikes from that time that stand apart in my mind: ZX-10, vacuum cleaner ZX-7, slingshot Gixxer 750 and FZR 1000, but for me, above them all sits that color combo on that bike.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Kiwi :). My memories are from further back, a '79 GS1000 and an '80 GS1100. The 1100 I named Bigs; it seemed so much bigger than the 1k. Super engine but I was always dragging the center stand on it, it's too bad as it was stable in a hard lean. You're right about the brakes and suspension, modern technology really shows.

Back