1975 Honda CB550

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
This 1975 Honda CB550 belongs to a friend's dad, who bought it new.
His dad wants to get it running again, as it has been sitting in his parent's basement for over 20 years, but was running when he parked it.
We are going to do the usual, oil change, valve adjustment, new tires and tubes, chain, carb cleaning and sync, front brake pads and lines, MC rebuild, fork seals(even though they arw not leaking now), etc
20190224_235205.jpg

My question is; he wants an aftermarket full exhaust for it, preferably 2 into 1 on each side, so a 4 into 2 header with 2 mufflers. One of the stock mufflers is broken through at the midpipe(and he doesn't want to replace it with another stock pipe), so, what to buy?
I haven't had a chance to search, but I'm thinking V&H or Kerker??
Anyone know of if and where any aftermarket exhaust for these may be available, new or used?
A jet kit would be nice too, but I can buy individual pilots and mains if need be.
I know a few of you guys know these oldies pretty well. Maybe Wuzza?
Otherwise, this bike is in really good shape, aside from a little surface rust on the chrome. It needs a seat cover and a good cleaning too as you can see, but only has 13k miles on it.
I see clean originals like it selling for $5-$6k, even though he has no plans to get rid of it.
Thanks for any leads on parts.

Oh, and since I'm always riding someone else's bike, and I love to bash Harleys, I was cruising this little jewel(2002, 1200cc) around in a 30 degree wind storm about 12:30am this morning.
I forgot how tiny these things are, and that the highway pegs/aka highside catapults, really like to grab the road, on what you would otherwise think was a normal turn.
Anyway, the bastid was too heavy to blow away, but, pics for good measure.
And, if it had some power, good brakes and suspension, and some ground clearance, it would be ok.
He's almost talked into making it a stuntbike, so fingers crossed, lol.
20190224_235214.jpg

I had exactly this bike except in blue. I remember fondly the extra kick it got from the Kerkers I put in it. I'm pretty sure I had to re jet the carbs to fatten it up after the Kerker install.

MAC makes a 4 -into -1 canister system, $369 in black, $389 with black headpipe and chrome muffler, they
also make a 4- into -1 Megaphone system for $439; I also see that they make 4 - into -2 replacement mufflers that use the stock headpipes and feature a "brilliant chrome finish" with flare tips for $350. That is probably what you want . . .

Oh, and since I'm always riding someone else's bike, and I love to bash Harleys, I was cruising this little jewel(2002, 1200cc) around in a 30 degree wind storm about 12:30am this morning.
I forgot how tiny these things are, and that the highway pegs/aka highside catapults, really like to grab the road, on what you would otherwise think was a normal turn.
Anyway, the bastid was too heavy to blow away, but, pics for good measure.
And, if it had some power, good brakes and suspension, and some ground clearance, it would be ok.
He's almost talked into making it a stuntbike, so fingers crossed, lol.View attachment 1595141

Now we are talking Six!!! :beerchug:

I knew sooner than later you’d find your way to the MoCo :super:

P.S.

You can grab a Sporty for less than $3k with little to no mileage thanks to all the mid life crisis guys out there. Buy 1 then throw this kit on it and Presto!!!
Hugo Moto Kit Shop

Your welcome .....:thumbsup:

Now we are talking Six!!! :beerchug:

I knew sooner than later you’d find your way to the MoCo :super:

P.S.

You can grab a Sporty for less than $3k with little to no mileage thanks to all the mid life crisis guys out there. Buy 1 then throw this kit on it and Presto!!!
Hugo Moto Kit Shop

Your welcome .....:thumbsup:
Oh man that is cool I want one!!
That would be the perfect grocery getter.

Back