17yr old step son wants an R6

You can't tell her anything, What you say doesnt matter,so I wouldnt even try, been there done that, All you can do is think in the back in your head How Stupid she is, but dont tell her that,she will turn on you like you fliped a light switch when it comes to her Bratty kid, your a A#@hole anyway, Remember ?          Good luck to you,Brian
argue.gif

You can't tell her anything[/Quote]
And you think you are the only one with this problem??
tounge.gif

(brendanp @ Sep. 22 2006,11:09) You can't tell her anything
And you think you are the only one with this problem??
tounge.gif
[/Quote]
Im not allowed to speak to my wife until spoken to

Let nature take it's course man. You are in a fight you can't possibly win. Nature has a way of weeding out the weak. Who knows, he may turn out to be the next Rossi and support you in your old age
beerchug.gif

If he is paying for it with his own money (payment, insurance, gas, etc.....) there isn't much you can do if his Mother won't listen to you and allows it under your roof. Once he sees what insurance costs him, I think he'll change his tune. It will probably be $1k a month to ride at his age with a driving record as bad as you say.

I would just step back and try and give advice when you can and don't be an a** about it. If things are that bad, it is only a matter of time anyway. Just get everything in line if the the unthinkable does happen.

We'll be praying that he learns quick on it and doesn't hurt himself in the process.

Good luck Bones....
cool.gif

(bone @ Sep. 21 2006,23:04) an MFS course is nice.  but do you want a 18 yr old riding a brand new R6 for his first bike???

this is typical step kid and step dad stuff.  i'd rather him buy a used XL250 and drive it around town for a year then step up.  but the kid getting everything he wants,  wants the best or nothing.  i'm at a loss for words here.  its an imagine thing with him.   i'm out

bone
I gotta step son myself, I understand the situation. No, I wouldn't want a teenager on an R6 as a first bike, but from your post it seems that it's gonna happen wether you want it to or not. Take the MSF class together, it may help with your relationship when he sees you are genuinely concerned for his safety, not just being a d!ckhead.

its plain and simple darwinism....

Cant say that I understand the relationship with your step son, I'm still young and lookin to start my own family, that said I would agree with most everything above. Timmy Duck put one hellova post up there for your wife to read. Show her the pics, show her movies of the stupid stunters and crashing from it. If his skills are that bad on dirt, for sure he will be dead in a short time on the street. And here is how it will happen (cuz I've seen it)

A group will go riding, mostly more experienced riders that he's managed to hook up with at some local bike night. They will expect that a kid on an R6 has some skills and let him ride with them. Someone will say "oh he's cool" and off they go. The ride will start off rather tame, maybe some stupid stunts in town (wheelies/stoppies)... maybe he'll wreck then or maybe he'll play it cool for a bit. Hope he wrecks then because later in the ride is when it will get ugly. Again, I was on this ride once...

After they get out of town a bit, they hit the country roads. Remember its night time....daarrkk country roads, twisting and turning, rolling hills. These are hard enough to handle during the day but at night, well we've been there. Trying not to get lost he's gonna try to keep up with the pack. Maybe make a stupid pass or two along the way. As the ride goes longer, the roads get a little more advanced. As the group takes off to rail the turns, he tries to keep up. First one, then another then a nice straight road. Looking down the road he sees markers that seem to go straight and thinks ok, things are calming down. These markers though are driveway markers and the road actually is a decreasing radius, heavily banked turn to the right. At most any speed above 40mph, this will get you knee on the ground. He of course doesnt see the other riders take the turn as they are way ahead of him. Instead he realizes at the last minute that its a driveway and tries to turn right. Doesnt counter steer, freaks out and winds up going into a tree..... he didnt live.

Now, as I said I was on this ride. Its like any other ride that typically happens on any given bike night. I happened to be riding at the tail of the pack on this ride....I saw the kid was making stupid mistakes and riding dangerously. I came up on the rider as he was taking out the tree, leading several other superbikes that were all afraid to ride with the kid.

Sux, but as I said, darwinism. We tried to help him, we tried to teach him, he didnt listen and just rode way beyond his skills.

You can't do anything about it. Just let us know where and when to send the flowers, sadly enough.

--Wag--

actually let him get the r6, but make it a track bike.
this way he has to prove he can ride in controlled environment first...
just a thought

here are a few things to think about.. at 18 he is a legal adult (parenting time is over)
If he can pay then a dealership will sell him one. If he is mature enuff to ride then surly he is mature nuff' to get a place to live ,pay the bills,ect.... not many 18 year old kids can do all that and buy a sport bike.
Now if the wife doesnt see the problem and still wants to help the kid kill himself then at least get the kid some safty gear for xmass
beerchug.gif

(bone @ Sep. 21 2006,23:44) my step son and me have a hate hate relationship.  we tolerate each other.  my wife knows this and we have a semi happy home.  the boy is fixin to be 18 and wants an R6.  the wife is like if he pays for it its fine.  the boy has a CR125 MX bike that he rides a few times a year and on those  rides that i watch he cannot turn the bike and wrecks on every lap.  this is no bull ****.  the boy has no skills.  more of a image thing than a can you ride thing.  

i tell her that he will kill himself on the R6,  but her rebuttal is that i dont like him and i'm an ass.  right now she is so screwed up that she'll let her son buy this bike even though i tell her that he will kill himself because of his lack of experience.  

i tried to explain the insurance thing and shes not listening.  she is gonna have to pay for college soon and he wants to spend 8 G's plus i dont know how much for insurance for the bike.  

his driving record is far from clean.  his friends have done drugs and drink beer.  can i say again i have seen him ride a dirt bike and it aint pretty.  

i guess a divorce is in my future, cause the boy will not park a bike in my garage and i will not deal with a crippled kid due to a crash because my old lady is to friggen stupid to understand right from wrong. let him leave the nest then get stupid.  he will be a squid for sure on a street bike.  

where do i go from here.  

bone

and yes i'm an **shole, but i've been riding for 29yrs and i know what i see.
How about letting him get it, but he can only ride with YOU? That way you get time together to work out the other issues. Sounds to me like he just needs a male figure to do things WITH him to keep him out of trouble.

When you're not around, you and your wife can keep the bike locked to something to which he does not have the key.

Obviously you guys have something in common- use it to your advantage and build your relationship with him thru that. Otherwise you may never get him off the other path.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

BUSAFETT

I went thru this with my parents 21 years ago ........except I was looking at a Honda Rebel 250 . On a R6 I would've been history . You've gotta put the foot down ! At least make him get something a little more "tamed down" !

Insist on the MSF course. They use their own bikes..so when he drops it no damage done. You have already lost the argument, dont continue the anger. I had the same type relationship with my step dad and my older brother still hates him.

When he is 18 he can make his own decisions just try to teach him some good judgement. Make some rules if he still lives with you that will allow you to park the bike if you catch him riding unsafely....no gear, wheelies, speeding.

I wish the best for all of you.

I think it would be good to take the time to ride WITH him, simply b/c you both share the interest. I would have given anything to be riding motorcycles with my dad when I was a kid, but every dam male in the family hated them b/c they were "too dangerous".

People ride them every day and live. Would have been really cool to have that opp with my father. Now my father and bro in law ask me on every nice day if I had the bike out.
AAAssjani.gif
Gotta love the ironies of life.

BUSAFETT

thanks everybody. the response is what i was looking for. i had a talk with the wife and pretty much if he can buy it and insure it she doesnt care, it will make him happy. and i'm pretty much an ahole for telling it how you guys replied. i even tried to say a smaller bike + safety course and i help where needed, and its just he wants a brand new 600cc rocket. i have 2 choices, save the boys life and say no to him putting a bike in my garage, or just let nature take its course. he turns 18 on 12/25/06, i guess the it all begins then.

by the way, what does it mean when the wife says she doesnt want to talk about it now? she said that yesterday also. i asked if we could schedule a time to talk about it and she said not now. i wasnt even being an ass, i was nice, no cuse words or bad comments etc... i just need to take a ride tomorrow and clear my head. i'll keep everybody updated. thanks again.

bone

Here is your chance to befriend the guy and maybe teach him a thing or two. Considering the situation he will do what he wants. You might as well be there to help him.

At 18 he can join the armed forces & dodge bullets or ride a bike & dodge cars.

Get him a good full face & suggest he use it then step back & let the cards fall where they may.

I don't have a clue about the " the boy will not park a bike in my garage" thing.

Bone - these are just some ideas. You can tell the whole board is concerned.

If Mom doesn't wanna hear it, could you get her permission to help your Son through everything if he's going forward with the purchase? Make it a condition for keeping him safe with Mom. Work with her on setting up some rules that can help him get conscientious about riding.

If she doesn't let you - ya just never know how it is going to turn out. Sometimes really bad riders are just plain old lucky and make it through it. (Crap shoot - pray a lot.)

I wouldn't turn them away over this if you want the realtionship to continue. There's a lot of giving that's going to have to happen to go forward together.

Question: Is she so scared now that she doesn't want to face the reality of her decision? I mean - if she now knows that her son could easily die with that bike, that might be resting heavy on her soul.

dunno... lots of thoughts.

Back