17 Brand Motorcycle Oill test ical

Busabim

Registered
Greetings,

I was going to try Royal Purple oil but I came across this excellent test of multibrand oils. The test is long and comprehensive and very informative and worth a complete read.

Currently I am using Motul 300V full synthetic and not that impressed. I judge the oil based on how well it shifts in the tranny initially and after a few thousand
miles.

The test was conducted by Amsoil but they have never been sued for the data or the results ( according to the company)

Usually I know my oil is pooched when it farts to shift poorly.

http://http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/motorcycle_oil_study.pdf

Based on the testing I am trying the Amsoil bike oil 10W40.

BTW, all spelling errors intended for hum w/hore us porpoises....

BB

Huhh, hu, huhhh huh, he said "testical."

beavis-and-butt-head.jpg

I read that test a LONG time ago! I was using Royal Purple Multi-Cycle then. It made me think about it for a while. Then I came to the conclusion that they may be a Little Bias. I don't know..I've been using Royal Purple in my 02' Turbo for years and I love it. I use it in my 09' busa, my VW TDI and even my lawn tractor. To each it's own. It's a great oil and I for one, have no complaints.. You ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers!:laugh:

I have a load bearing test where Royal purple was at the top but Amsoil was not one of the brands they tested!

I have no ties to Amsoil but there sure is a hell of a lot of BS claimed by MANY oil companies with no data to support their claims....

BB

Few years back I seen the tests reports from a guy that was selling Amsoil at a bike show. It showed Castrol was better in more tests then Royal Purple and that a few others were better the Royal Purple. He said if it was not true they would not be aloud to print this.

I have a few quarts of Royal Purple for bikes that I never used. I wonder what the shelf life is. I picked them up in 07

According to the shear stability test, Royal purple went down a full grade in viscosity. That is why I suggest people read the whole paper and draw their own conclusions.

Gear sets found in the transmissions are the leading cause of
shear-induced viscosity loss in motorcycle applications."

"It should be noted that no correlation exists between the viscosity index of an oil and its ability to minimize shear. In the SAE
40 group, for example, the Lucas High Performance had the second-highest viscosity index, yet performed the worst when it
came to viscosity retention in the face of shearing forces. The AMSOIL MCF, on the other hand, had a significantly lower
viscosity index, yet placed first in the area of viscosity retention."

BB

This test was done in 2009. Oil formulations are constantly changing, we need a current test. Just my .02..

Back