17/40 vs 16/42 in s race

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
I know this may be a silly question but I always wondered this and thought better to ask than to keep wondering.

Say on two Busas, both having TRE, one have 16/42 gearing. Will the geared Busa race faster to 180mph, or would it top out at 180mph at a slow pace like a stock busa would at its top speed?

At 16/42, I don't see the Busa EVER reaching 180. I don't have the "theoretical gearing" spreadsheet handy to know what max speed is for that gearing, but it's almost certainly less than 180.

Mine is 16/42 with no TRE and it tops out (Verified on dyno) at 173 it hits the limiter in 6th. I don't think those extra 600 RPMs are going to get it to 180.

It pulls HARD all the way to 173, but mine isn't totally stock...has the common mods done: Pipe, PC3, BMC filter, Air Box mod, and custom map.

yes sorry I knew it was 176 or so as I calculated before but I just rounded to 180 since its a small mph difference.

But would it pull harder to 17xmph than a stock bike?

guys, I know all you guys are experienced and all, please be careful out there...alotta cops loves to see us in the action...
rock.gif

Bottom line:

Yes, it pulls HARDER all the way to the limiter with 16/42.

But.. its harder to keep the front end down under 60!
laugh.gif

Good then. I am 16/42.  Actually I just found a place to open her up.  I have pictures from GPS and Google Earth.  The GPS map is very accurate as to what Satalite shows. I call it the bridge of speed, there is MILES and MILES between main highway and end of roadway on the other side of the bridge.

BridgeofSpeed2.jpg
BridgeofSpeed.jpg

BridgeofSpeedMAP.jpg

BridgeofSpeedMAP2.jpg

This is where I will test my true top speed in 16/42 gearing. too bad I got the GPS after I did the gearing. Always wanted to test that first. Oh well. Looks like a nice little run, I will just try to stay out of the water LOL  that and watch out for wild boar out there haha. Its all Forest out there.

I no this might be stupid but I'm going to ask this ? anyway!  If you change the the geariing to any of the situations above, does mileage become off and if so by how much per mile?

(Smoke_Dog @ Mar. 28 2007,09:32) I nothis might be stupi but I'm going to ask this ? anyway!  If you change the the geariing to any of the situations above, does mileage become off and if so by how much per mile?
Hey there that's not a stupid question at all. Yes It will be off how much? I am not sure. My GPS has tripometer. I will test it when I get bike back. I will do 20miles GPS confirmed and I will compare.

Normally I would have done this already but I got the GPS 3 days before the bike went into the paint shop so I had no time.

Trust me, I will get back to this, I am really eager to see myself

You plan to do this on the bridge?

Are the speeds stated above calculated theoreticals or do they take into account wind resistance and such?

(HayaBoosta03 @ Mar. 29 2007,15:11)
(Smoke_Dog @ Mar. 28 2007,09
zzwhip.gif
) I nothis might be stupi but I'm going to ask this ? anyway!  If you change the the geariing to any of the situations above, does mileage become off and if so by how much per mile?
Hey there that's not a stupid question at all. Yes It will be off how much? I am not sure.  My GPS has tripometer. I will test it when I get bike back. I will do 20miles GPS confirmed and I will compare.

Normally I would have done this already but I got the GPS 3 days before the bike went into the paint shop so I had no time.

Trust me, I will get back to this, I am really eager to see myself
Thanks for your help!

(ozzy04 @ Mar. 27 2007,22:56) my 16/42 pulls ALOT harder......
+1 I just went to 16 /42 and I can tell you it put my 17 /40 to shame in everyway except top end, and maybe milage heehee... which I don't give a crap about anyway. It pulls OMG HARD all the way to the limiter in every gear!
cool.gif

Back