16g wastegate info

Hit Man

Registered
I'm thinking about buying another wastegate for my Hahn kit. If anyone has any info on size, brand, and mounting on the ceramic header could you offer some advice?

internal wastegate is easier to plumb. and it's quieter, more spool noise.

boost creep if sized incorrectly, what parts do you really need to replace, and you can shim the actuator or pre-tension the arm, also, most have threaded ends on the actuator rod, so they're pretty adjustable. that being said, if you're going big, an internal wastegate won't get the job done. easier to plumb because there are only 2 flanges to worry about, versus 4 in an external setup. i may be new to busas but not new to turbos man. i promise, unless you're going huge (ie, gt30 or bigger) you're better off with an internal wastegate. a 16g should stay internally gated. if you want an external, buy a bigger turbo. a gt2871 will flow slightly more, and you can get an externally gated setup

boost creep if sized incorrectly, what parts do you really need to replace, and you can shim the actuator or pre-tension the arm, also, most have threaded ends on the actuator rod, so they're pretty adjustable. that being said, if you're going big, an internal wastegate won't get the job done. easier to plumb because there are only 2 flanges to worry about, versus 4 in an external setup. i may be new to busas but not new to turbos man. i promise, unless you're going huge (ie, gt30 or bigger) you're better off with an internal wastegate. a 16g should stay internally gated. if you want an external, buy a bigger turbo. a gt2871 will flow slightly more, and you can get an externally gated setup

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jerry rigging is your specialty apparently. You forgot bending the rod like the srt4 boys did.:rofl:

s16g like on the hahn is very prone to creep and actuator fatigue. The actuators are very expensive and the gate will have trouble controlling 8,10,12 + psi for a long period of time....actuator is too light. Never seen a flange failure to consider them an issue on a bike...have heard of more headers cracking than flange issues:rofl:

Ogre bikes are way more prone to boost creep,
usually have to do a lot of porting on an internal wgate to control it, esp on the smaller turbo's like the gt28 or 16t, much easier and safer to fit an external wgate

didn't know bikes were any different. funny you mention a skittle, lol. mine made 355 whp untuned. then it got broken into before i could take it to a dyno.

anyway, what about the bikes makes the internal wastegate so prone to creep?

didn't know bikes were any different. funny you mention a skittle, lol. mine made 355 whp untuned. then it got broken into before i could take it to a dyno.

anyway, what about the bikes makes the internal wastegate so prone to creep?
it has been known in the bike industry not to compare them with cars cause they just dont act the same
I am a dealer for a company and he has told me he doesn't tech bikes but will instead send the tech ?'s to me
due to my knowledge of bikes and any car ?'s I send to him

its been known for years (just experience through the industry) that any kit fitted with an internal wastegate has almost always been prone to boost creep

besides an external gate allows for the use of a good boost controller
and a standard internal doesn't
(yes I know there are ways to trick it but not to the control of a digital multistage boost controller)

its always been a better option to go with an external
and they can be done on most setups for a fairly good price too

fair enough man. learn something new every day. i'm thinking that with the tiny hotside bikes seem to be using, the exhaust volume at higher rpms is too much for the little 25 mm hole in an internally gated setup. do most busas use a 38 or a 44 mm gate?

38 seems to work ok in most street kits, big setups go for bigger wastegates, but i'm not sure there entirely necessary in many of the applications.

I think its due to the rpm a bike runs at, maybe volume , but i have to wonder if velocity of the gasses and the pulse energy from the soundwaves all contribute

fair enough man. learn something new every day. i'm thinking that with the tiny hotside bikes seem to be using, the exhaust volume at higher rpms is too much for the little 25 mm hole in an internally gated setup. do most busas use a 38 or a 44 mm gate?
most street kits go 38 mm
most full race kits go 44 or 46 mm

I have been seeing boost creep from 8 to 10#s. The kit has been on for a year and 5 months.I would like to keep it all on a tight budget.Besides ebay, where can I find a good price on an external wastegate?

I have been seeing boost creep from 8 to 10#s. The kit has been on for a year and 5 months.I would like to keep it all on a tight budget.Besides ebay, where can I find a good price on an external wastegate?

you don't just bolt onan external...stuff needs modded...

Yes Chris can put you in contact with someone to hook you up...

or contact rcc

or nlr.

I had a hahn kit a few years ago, and had a 38mm tial installed. Cost me about $150 labor i think for the boring, welding up, stainless dump pipe coming out of the wastegate, plus actual wastegate price, forget what it cost, $250 maybe?

100_1507.jpg

you don't just bolt onan external...stuff needs modded...

Yes Chris can put you in contact with someone to hook you up...

or contact rcc

or nlr.
I am a dealer of turbo's and turbo accessories now lol

most 38-40 mm wastegates run around 250 (name brand)

ebay has some knock off wastegates but they need thoroughly inspected before use cause they arent always put together the greatest

there is JGS and Tial (the 2 main front runners of wastegates) as well as a few other brands out there

Back