1600+ miles...

Teufel Hunden

Registered
Just got back from the Motor City. 800 miles each way on my bone stock busa other than V&H S4 Titanium pipes. What a trip. Not the easiest ride I've made...
I had to put a new tire on while I was out there. I went with a BT021. On the way back the bike felt funny up around 90. It was as if the wind was causing my front end to wobble. It seemed to be worse when I came up behind tractor trailers. I wasn't sure if it's because I have a little scalloping on my front tire or if it was my huge tank bag. I'm putting a new front on this week (BT021) so hopefully that will fix it. Maybe the two different compounds were screwing with me. Everything looks ok from where the shop put the rear on. Any other ideas?

screw it go find a road that slops down to the left and ride out the other side of your front tire...:rofl:

Was the rear balanced...maybe? Also have noticed others who will put the BT021 in back and the BT016 in front. Any thoughts?

Good on you for the miles, though. That's great! :beerchug:

Did you do to the Woodward dream cruise? I cant remember when that is in August. I wanted to go but didnt get my interier done. Awesome miles though.

Front tire needs to go, and you'll always suffer from the wash of tractor trailers. Glad you had a great time. :thumbsup:

I put a new BT021 front tire on and it still did it. I've been riding bikes for 30 years so I'm used to the tractor trailers if you ever actually do get used to it... It's not only when I'm going by one it's only more pronounced then.
I finally got a chance to swap out the new tire which is on my spare wheel for the OEM tire and wheel that came on the bike in 07. The tire has 5,400 miles on it and never had any issues. It still did it, but it didn't seem to be as bad. It's hard to tell. I'm swapping back to the new tire.
I'm going to go ahead and upgrade my stabilizer oil and see if that helps. It looks like an easy job.
I just find this too much of a coincidence that the bike was fine for 12,000 miles and then I get a new back tire put on at a dealer and all of a sudden when I'm at 90 and 100+ er uh, I mean 65-70...:whistle: it isn't as stable. 140 used to feel like 70. I don't usually ride like that, but I want to make sure every thing is right. This is why I do ALL work on my rigs by myself. Then I have no questions about what was done.
I'll let you know after I change out the stabilizer oil. I'm going with 90wt. Any suggestions or tips before I pull it out? I'm planning on doing a search first.

I changed the stabilizer fluid last night. Easy job. I think it too me all of twenty minutes start to finish. I went with 20w fork oil. It felt like it made a difference, but the jury is still out. I might go up to 40 or 50w for the oil. I had the 20 in my garage and with all the disagreements about what weight to put in I figured I'd go a little above stock for now.
I still have to put the new tire back on, but now at least I know it isn't that...

Did you do to the Woodward dream cruise? I cant remember when that is in August. I wanted to go but didnt get my interier done. Awesome miles though.
No, didn't make it. It started the day after I had to leave. I was pretty bummed. I have a 69 SS396 Camaro, so I'd obviously love to have been there.

Back