160 or lower thermostat

ZRXMAX

Registered
I haven't looked to hard for it. Does anybody offer a 160 or lower thermostat ?

Can a 180 thrmostat be modified to open sooner ?

Never heard of one being modified,its too simple of a gizmo. I guess its possible thou.The spring actuated type could possibly be adjusted by messing with the spring.Crushing the spring down a bit,or extending it might have an' effect. I guess the test would be to mess with the spring,put it in water with a thermometer and check the results. Sounds like a giant hassle to me thou. Why not just a muzzy fan,dual fan,engine ice(or equivelant) or a dual power supply to the fan,one thru the regular route of thermostat,the other hardwired to a switch.Why is it you see the need for the fan to come on sooner?

RSD.

Oops. Actually having the thermostat open sooner would mean not letting the motor reach optimum temperature as fast. Not sure why you would want that either?

RSD.

Never heard of a 160 thermostat and I'm not sure why you would need 1 anyways. Like Rubb said there are plenty of cooling upgrades and mods that have worked just fine for standard and HP big bore stroker modded busas

Also lowering the thermostats can cause the water to circulate to fast not allowing enough time for the water to cool down in the radiator.

Also lowering the thermostats can cause the water to circulate to fast not allowing enough time for the water to cool down in the radiator.
Something I had not know.

Starting out stoopid has givin' me great learning oportunities. Author: RSD. :laugh:

RSD.

Oops. Actually having the thermostat open sooner would mean not letting the motor reach optimum temperature as fast. Not sure why you would want that either?

RSD.

I agree 100%. the faster the oil reach operating temo, the better. I would stick with the 180

Its always warm in Cali so it should still heat up pretty quick though

there are racers that drill holes in the current thermostat to let some coolant through to circulate, I have heard of bikes that run on the track (not the street) that take them out completely.

160 will burn more fuel, if you are running lean try to rich out a bit so it will cool off.

your best option would be to replace it with the one like the same one as is in there, it is possible it has expanded due to heat and not functioning properly.

if cooling is your issue, I would recommend purple ice and an extra fan.

good luck.

All valid points to me. Operating temp is important and so is allowing the cooling system to work properly. Turbo builders routinely remove them completely :dunno:

All the talking points here are valid above, I don't dispute any of it.

This was simply me wanting to experiment with a cooler running motor looking for a cheap power increase.

I have Engine Ice coolant in my Busa. Also added the Muzzy fan upgrade. A rider could adapt a second fan to the back of the radiator with some fabrication work.

Since I am still kinda new to these Busa's ( my 2nd ) my question was also intended for me to learn what works from the vast resource we all have here on the Org.

It has been my experince with my all aluminum DOHC Lotus motor ( LT-5, 350 cubic inch) that every degree dropped gains approximaitly 1 horsepower.

How did I learn that to be true ? From the guys running lower temps with 145, 150 ,160 thermostats.

This was also a statement made by John Lingenfelter back in the 90s whom has built many of LT-5 all aluminum engines.

My reasoning is simple with this topic, we have all aluminum engines and I believe the Busa motor might respond in the same way that some aluminum engines respond.

The difference in power when dropping from 190 to 160 F in the car was / is noticeable in my own experince by seat of the pants driving.

The first time it happened it caught me by suprise because unknown to me at the time is happened the spring broke in my thermostat.

I pulled over to check out the engine compartment for any tell tale signs something was messed up, leaking, or something out of place.

Why was my motor suddenly running 20 to 30 degress cooler ? That was how I figured out the thermostat malfunctioned from what is probably a broken spring. I still haven't replaced it yet...

I am enjoying the power increase! :laugh:

I simply wanted to ask if anybody had tried doing this as a way to increase power. I agree it will take longer for the oil to heat up and that means a slower heat cycle time when your out for a jaunt.

Why could / does it work? It could be because the computer sees a cooler temp in the motor and richens up the mixture to produce the air fuel mixture most appropiate for the conditions and dictated by the

fuel map.

There is no need to do any fab work to mount a 2nd fan.......... just buy a gen 2 radiator off ebay. It mounts up just the same, you can buy the thermostat temp switch relocator off the RCC turbo site or just run a manual remote fan switch if you dont want to spend the xtra money and time. I have the setup on my Gen 1 right now with a low temp thermostat, samco hoses, and engine ice. Works like a charm :thumbsup:

There is no need to do any fab work to mount a 2nd fan.......... just buy a gen 2 radiator off ebay. It mounts up just the same, you can buy the thermostat temp switch relocator off the RCC turbo site or just run a manual remote fan switch if you dont want to spend the xtra money and time. I have the setup on my Gen 1 right now with a low temp thermostat, samco hoses, and engine ice. Works like a charm :thumbsup:

Its all good.

Where did you get a low temp thermostat? Or, did you simply match up the dimensions and search for a matching thermostat in a lower temp range?

The real upgrade I was speaking about was to run the motor cooler and perhaps get into a richer fuel map.

Back