16 front sprocket?

blas32

Registered
I have a 42 rear and am thinking of putting a 16 on the front. Is this a good idea? The ZX12 I ride with is -2 on the front sprocket and I want my gearing to be close to his for roll-ons. How do you think the bikes will compare on roll-ons? The ZX has a full yosh exhaust and yosh ems.

I'm set up 16/42 great for roll ons, wheelies and the track...I don't notice the lower gearing while cruising on the interstated either...And if you plan to roll on with the 12 and you know he's geared that low up front you had better change your gearing or he may eat your ass up...

what
muscle.gif
said..

I had 16/44 at one time last year. had to change it since it would wheelie way too easy..

I'm sorry guys, I just don't get it. The 'Busa has six gears. If you want more pull isn't it easier just to downshift? (Besides, doesn't the Hayabusa have more torque than the ZX12?) My bike arrived with a 16t countershaft sprocket and I quickly returned it to stock condition because I didn't like the vibration on the highway. Also smaller sprockets reduce chain life. On the other hand lower gearing should extend clutch plate life. If I were designing a better 'Busa I would install wider ratios in the tranny, or at least a lower first and a higher sixth. Or a vibration free engine. With shaft drive. Sorry, I'm rambling again.

I personally like the 16 tooth front. Wheelies on a dime with nine cents change. I'm a little taller (6'5") and heavier (265 lbs.) than most Busa riders.

Brian

Depends what you want to roll on for. If you like to do wheelies and drag the 16 is great as the guys said. If you like to roll on for top speed starting at about 3500rpm you may want to leave the 17 and go up are down on the back. If you are building your HP you would want to run 17/41 or with 180hp or more 200 hp or more 18/41 250 or more 18/41 or 40 300 hp 19/41 18/39.

Oh and by the way you do not need to do anything with your gearing to keep up and beat the zx-12.

Maybe I got a lemon, but the 16t sprocket created an unacceptable amount of vibration at highway speeds. Maybe I'm getting old. I just took a brief ride (it is 33º and the roads are icy in spots) and I pulled the front end up NO PROBLEM in first @ around 4500 RPM. I'm only 195#. Blas32, send me a check for $15. and I will mail you my 16t sprocket. Or just buy a new one, there cheap enough. What do you think, will I get better times in the 1/4 with lower gearing? If your going to leave the line spinning I don't see it helping, perhaps it would hurt. I'll be racing this spring.

I just ordered one (16 tooth) because the zx12 had me on the rollons today.  I was affraid that it would happen but I thought the 42 rear sprocket would be enough but it wasn't, he is geared down to low .  And just so you won't think it was the rider we switched bikes and the zx pulls on the busa, not by a lot but enough for me to slap on a 16!  We did all types of rollons...2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.  The only time I would get him was if the rpms were low but once the rpms got up the zx gains.  I will say it is close, but with the 16 front the zx has no chance... I will let you know in about a week!
 I could care less about speeds above 170, I want to get from 60 to 150 as fast as I can without engine mods or a turbo.  But I will say that if i walk all over the zx I think he will put in some cams or maybe even a turbo... I love this crap!!!

Oh well, I hear some other mods clicking around on that zx12 pipes etc. Pipes and an airmod you will be around 167-171hp

Back