16 front sprocket-wow

blas32

Registered
I just took my bike for a 150 mile hard ride(70degrees in N.W. Florida) with my 16 front sprocket...wow! I put a 42 on the back and it was a small change but adding the 16 up front was a huge change. No chain noice or whine from what I could hear. If I can remember at 4000rpms I was at 78mph but now at 4000rmps I am at 63 mph. It pulls hard through all the gears, not that it didn't stock but this is ridiculous. I got it up to 170mph and I think I was at about 9500rpms...should get to at least 175. My speedo was off 19% with a GPS. It was 7% off stock,12% off with 42 rear and 19% off with 42 rear and 16 front. My goal was to get from 60-150 as fast as possible without engine work and I think this did it...at least for now!!!

Congrats dude. Good job. I only went down one (16t) in the front. Haven't been able to test it yet because bike is still down while wheels and stuff are being chromed. Can't wait to get it all back together.

Brian

okay, thats all there is to it. I'm ordering a front sprocket tomorrow.
must..... have....... more............ power...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cache I told him last week when he was talking about running the 12 that was geared down what he needed to do...But oh no I'm not going to listen to "STUNNAH" and he got his ass tore off the frame...Now the grasshopper has listened he shall reconcile his position with that 12...16/42 gear is the only way to go with stock engine...
muscle.gif

It comes up!!  Stock  it would come up for me in second with the rpms high and on,off and on...up she came.  When I put the 42 on the rear in second med. rpms and wack on the throttle and up she came.  Now it just comes up in second with a roll on the throttle and I can feel it lift in third on a hard take-off going through the gears.  My gix 1000 was easy to wheelie but this is starting to feel almost as easy.  Second gear is now like first...you better hold on! I am now even more happy with the Tobin mod. seat, keeps me in one position, not on the back of the seat on acceleration.

Now you just need to slam that @#@$! down and go looking for 12's...It will still come up but will require a bit more effort...

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a lot easier on take-offs. It will take some practice to get all the power and still keeping the wheel on the ground.

I was thinking the same thing.  It would be a lot easier on take-offs.  It will take some practice to get all the power and still keeping the wheel on the ground.
Yeah but if your doing roll ons keeping it down want be that big of a deal...Just remember when you do your roll ons against him now not to gear down to low or you'll get major air and run out off of gear fast...

I was thinking the same thing.  It would be a lot easier on take-offs.  It will take some practice to get all the power and still keeping the wheel on the ground.
Yeah but if your doing roll ons keeping it down want be that big of a deal...Just remember when you do your roll ons against him now not to gear down to low or you'll get major air and run out off of gear fast...

now I know some of these guys here have gone down one in the front, then went down another one or two.....
my question is:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD USED 16 FRONT SPROCKET FOR SALE??!!
smile.gif

I used a 32mm socket and a cheater bar with a 2x4 through the wheel and it came off. Put some thread lock and replaced the nut with 105 lb-ft torque. Tighten the chain and your good to go. Took me about half an hour. I thought the front sprocket was easier than the rear because I didn't have to remove the wheel.

Gearing,,,hmmmm! Even at 5000' where i live.. i can get roll off roll on first gear wheelies...just awsome..5000 rpm or so in first..roll off snap on..comes up..pretty much unbelivable..
So much fun....whatta scooter..rode it at sea level this summer..it's a sick bike...= true love......spin hook wheelie..yea....flip over backwards..not to hard to do..
be caeful all.....Mine had a 16 t..went to seventeen..still bad to the bone...............

I liked going down one in the front and up 2 in the back because a little less wear on the chain and the rear wheel won't be slid so far back. Its a little more money($50) but I think everthing fits a little better and I can't imagine gearing down more than 11.5%.

I liked going down one in the front and up 2 in the back because a little less wear on the chain and the rear wheel won't be slid so far back.  Its a little more money($50) but I think everthing fits a little better and I can't imagine gearing down more than 11.5%.
That's my gearing and I absolutely love it...

Back