16 bit ECU to 32 bit Conversion How to

99-00 Harness to PowerCommander V adapter

So, you've successfully upgraded your 1999-2000 Hayabusa from a 16bit ECU/Rotor to a 32bit ECU/Rotor.

Perhaps you've already sent your new 32bit ECU out to have it edited to remove restrictions, up the rev limiters etc. But now it's time to get your busa dyno tuned to get the best out of the ol' girl. You then discover that the closest ECU Editor Dyno tune shop is 600 miles away. What to do? No problem, you say. I'll just connect a Power Commander V and take it to a Power Commander Dyno tune shop. They are all over the place and there just happens to be one nearby.

So you buy a PCV and get ready to connect it to your new 32bit system. To your horror, you discover that the connectors where the Power Commander connects to the Busa's wiring harness don't match the ones on your PCV. The problem is that the wiring harness for the 99-00 Busa's has the old 16bit Connectors. Only the 91-07 have the connectors that would work with your new PCV. So what to do?

Your Options are:
  • Return or sell the PCV and drive 600 miles to get your bike dyno tuned by a ECU Editor shop
  • Change the Wiring harness on the busa to a 91-07 harness
  • Chop up the PCV connectors and splice them into your 99-00 wiring harness.
Or
  • Build an adapter.

By building an adapter, you preserve the resale value of your PCV because you're not hacking up the connectors. It also allows you to easily remove the PCV if you ever are able to get your busa dyno tuned by an ECU Editor Shop or just want to remove the PCV.

Best of all, it only costs about $35 in parts.

Here's what you will need:

Connectors are available from Easter Beaver Company in Japan www.easterbeaver.com.

Connectors:
  • 8P090WP-HM Set (this is the male/female connectors for the 32bit harness)
  • RFW 9P090-HM (Male Connector half)
    #RFW-9P090-M
  • RFW 9P090-HM (Female Connector Half)
    #RFW-9P090-F

Of course you'll need wires, some soldering/crimping skills and the following wiring diagram (note- I've attached a ZipFile with the schematic and pin out so you can zoom in to see the pin numbers or to print it out):

DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH I HAVE MADE EVERY EFFORT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH A TESTED SCHEMATIC, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR ABILITY OR LACK THEREOF TO BUILD THE ADAPTER CORRECTLY. THEREFORE, YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR POWER COMMANDER, HAYABUSA OR BOTH. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Schematic and PIN Out Chart (Connector pins are my numbering system and may not be the way Suzuki numbers them):

You'll notice that there are 8 Pins on the 32bit connectors and 9 pins on the 16bit connectors. That's because the 99-00 Busa's have an external fuel pump. The extra pin is the Negative side of the Fuel Pump connector. To accommodate this, simply run a Jumper wire between Pin 3 of the Male and Female 16bit Connector (RFW 9P090).

Adapter1.jpg

Adapter2.jpg

Attachments

• AdapterWiring.zip
    478.9 KB · Views: 428
Here's a picture of the actual adapter. I'll probably wrap the wires to better protect them. Remember, this adapter only works if you have upgraded your ECU/Rotor to 32bit:

Adapter 3.jpg

I'm going to do this swap tomorrow. I hadn't considered the issue with hooking up the PCV to the old 16 bit wiring. I'll probably cut the PCV connectors and make them work. I've got my old PCII, so maybe I can just use those plugs...
Thank you so much for posting this!
Weazel

Your PC2 will not work with the 32 bit ecu!
I'm going to do this swap tomorrow. I hadn't considered the issue with hooking up the PCV to the old 16 bit wiring. I'll probably cut the PCV connectors and make them work. I've got my old PCII, so maybe I can just use those plugs...
Thank you so much for posting this!
Weazel

I'm not exactly sure what I'm up against here. I'll work on the swap tomorrow and probably have it done (between work and all) by Tuesday. I should have my PCV by then as well and then I can see what the plug issue is. My PCII is going to become a paperweight but I thought that the plugs might be useful.
Thanx for the input.
Weazel

You could use the connectors from your PC2 and replace the ones on the PCV but by doing so, you will destroy any resale value it has (as well as the warranty). Spend the $35 on connectors and make the adapter. It's not too difficult to construct and it works! Then, if you ever are able to get your bike dyno'd using the ECU Editor rather than the PCV, you can resell the PCV.

If you do end up using the connectors from the PC2, remember that you will need a jumper wire between the PC2 connectors. The PCV only has 8 wires. The PC2 has 9. The extra wire is the ground to the external fuel pump.

The Pc2 connectors plug in at the ECU, not the throttle bodies!
You could use the connectors from your PC2 and replace the ones on the PCV but by doing so, you will destroy any resale value it has (as well as the warranty). Spend the $35 on connectors and make the adapter. It's not too difficult to construct and it works! Then, if you ever are able to get your bike dyno'd using the ECU Editor rather than the PCV, you can resell the PCV.

If you do end up using the connectors from the PC2, remember that you will need a jumper wire between the PC2 connectors. The PCV only has 8 wires. The PC2 has 9. The extra wire is the ground to the external fuel pump.

The Pc2 connectors plug in at the ECU, not the throttle bodies!

Well that would be a problem then. :banghead: I was thinking that it had the same connectors as the PCIII USB but after looking a PC2 up on ebay I see what you mean. I guess he will have to buy some 16 bit connectors after all. Might as well buy the 32 bit connectors as well and build the adapter.

I'm new to this conversion. So you can keep the 01 harness intact but just change pins. Also any power gain off the bat or response in busa. Also to use the Pc5 just plugs in or u have to modify for that to work? I'm not good with electronics never have.

I'm new to this conversion. So you can keep the 01 harness intact but just change pins. Also any power gain off the bat or response in busa. Also to use the Pc5 just plugs in or u have to modify for that to work? I'm not good with electronics never have.

If you have an '01 you can just plug the 02-07 ecu in and swap the rotor on the crank to the 02-07.
The Crank sensor wires are also swapped for polarity on the 02-07, but I have used them with completely stock orientation with no issues.

John

Informative post! Thanks... Btw, what are the issues faced on the 16 bit ECU & in what way does one benefit with the 32 bit?

Informative post! Thanks... Btw, what are the issues faced on the 16 bit ECU & in what way does one benefit with the 32 bit?

I'll answer this the best I can, as it's been over a year since I've played with this stuff on mine.
I changed my '99 to the 32 bit because I wanted to run a newer Power Commander (PCV) with Auto Tune, etc... The 16 bit system will take a PCIII. A word of caution on that, I later found out that the '05 and '99 use a different harness to the throttle bodies and therefore the PCV doesn't just 'plug and play' as it should. I ended up having to get another set of '05 connectors to put on my '99 so the PCV would connect. (Can you say "PITA"?) You could do this a few ways, but that's the direction I took.
Another reason, and this is where I'm the most 'fuzzy', is that I seem to remember reading that the 'ECM hack' only worked on the 32 bit computers. I wanted the ECM hack for removing the speed limiter, retarding ignition timing (on boost), making the rev-limiter a 'hard-cut' and raising the redline from 10,900 to 11,500.
All the best,
Weazel

I'll answer this the best I can, as it's been over a year since I've played with this stuff on mine.
I changed my '99 to the 32 bit because I wanted to run a newer Power Commander (PCV) with Auto Tune, etc... The 16 bit system will take a PCIII. A word of caution on that, I later found out that the '05 and '99 use a different harness to the throttle bodies and therefore the PCV doesn't just 'plug and play' as it should. I ended up having to get another set of '05 connectors to put on my '99 so the PCV would connect. (Can you say "PITA"?) You could do this a few ways, but that's the direction I took.
Another reason, and this is where I'm the most 'fuzzy', is that I seem to remember reading that the 'ECM hack' only worked on the 32 bit computers. I wanted the ECM hack for removing the speed limiter, retarding ignition timing (on boost), making the rev-limiter a 'hard-cut' and raising the redline from 10,900 to 11,500.
All the best,
Weazel

Thanks for the elaboration mate! So for someone who is not looking to install new mapping on his '99, but is content with the stock, unrestricted mapping, the 32 bit conversion is really not necessary isn't it?

Thanks for the elaboration mate! So for someone who is not looking to install new mapping on his '99, but is content with the stock, unrestricted mapping, the 32 bit conversion is really not necessary isn't it?

If you're content with the way the bike is now I wouldn't change, but that's just me. If you're running a stock, or mostly stock bike, I don't think there's much, if anything, to be gained. If you want to change the mapping then a PCIII USB (light years better than the PCII) can be installed on your 16 bit system. Keep in mind also that if you update to 32 bit then your bike will be restricted.
I went with the 32 bit, PCV and Auto Tune because I have an elevation change from 5000' (home) to 1100' (work) and my bike's turbo'd, and running lean on a turbo is death to the motor. I still had to get the ECM hacked to remove the speed limiter (and other turbo/land speed racing related changes).
All the best,
Weazel

I have a 01 with a PC3. If I do this conversion can i still use this PC or have to get one for a 02-07?

I think you'd be fine with the existing PCIII. It really only needs the injector wires, the TPS and a way to count RPM. Since the PCIII connects at the throttle bodies the re-pinning of the ECM should have no effect on what wires you're hooked up to. The biggest difference between PCIII models is the connectors they're sold with (and obviously how many cylinders they'll adjust). The PCIII and PCV let the ECM make it's normal calculations and then simply intercept and modify the output to the injectors.
All the best,
Weazel

Back