16/42 gearing too strong?

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Only up for a few months and I already have 6 missing and half filed down teeth on my rear sprocket. Chain seems to be in great shape. The rear sprocket is Aluminum btw maybe this is the cause. Also I have been known to do 1st and 2nd gear power wheelies everytime I ride but still the sprocket seems weak. I don't want to change my fairly new chain so I will just get a STEEL 42 rear teeth when I get a chance.

Just had to post becuase it just seemed so odd the shape of my sprocket.

i run 16/42 rear steel no problems lots of power wheelies

I got 43 alum out back....guess I better take a good look cause I do power wheelies after every stop sign!!

(StreetnTrack @ Oct. 30 2006,09:20) let me know if you need a steel sprocket.
Yes I will, I used you to get the whole setup. Fast and trustworthy. Thanks.

And yes brendanp please do check. I would not notice usually because its fairly new and would not think to check.

I want one too Charles... can you pm me a price TMD in mass. and I will get the $$ right out to ya?
Thx

I need 43 not 42 though

I have an aluminum Vortex 43, pretty hard launches at the track, lots of them and no problems. You might have had a bad one. What brand is it?

I'm betting your chain is stretched. Post up a close up picture showing the rearsprocket teeth at an angle where we can see the wear pattern from the chain.

Like above, I'm running a 16/42 & 43 alum with a Mickey rear with some pretty hard launches.

Mine looked ok,but I been wanting to get a steel back up sprocket anyway.

PM back at ya Charles....thx

Either your chain isn't adjusted right, or you simply got a bad sprocket. I weigh 265+, high 1.4/low1.5 60 ft times, repeatedly. I have hot lapped as many as 10 times in a row with no issues at all...............

man that sucks looks like im alone with this problem here are pics

200610301935_00174.jpg

Hmmm, I don't know what would cause that. Maybe Prof will chime in about your chain. Contact Street and Track and/or Vortex about it, see what they say, and let us know........

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 30 2006,12:03) Hmmm, I don't know what would cause that. Maybe Prof will chime in about your chain. Contact Street and Track and/or Vortex about it, see what they say, and let us know........
Cool thanks for the idea. I am not sure what StreetandTrack could do about it seeing as they are a vendor, but I may try and contact Vortex and see what they say. Thanks again.

(HayaBoosta03 @ Oct. 30 2006,20:11)
(Mr Brown @ Oct. 30 2006,12:03) Hmmm, I don't know what would cause that. Maybe Prof will chime in about your chain. Contact Street and Track and/or Vortex about it, see what they say, and let us know........
Cool thanks for the idea.  I am not sure what StreetandTrack could do about it seeing as they are a vendor, but I may try and contact Vortex and see what they say. Thanks again.
I thought you said you bought the setup from S&T, my bad. At very least they should be able to help you find a contact # for Vortex. Good Luck!

Hard to tell from your pictures.  Give me a couple minutes and I'll upload a picture of mine

On edit... Look where my chain wear patterns are on these two. Both have ~25 passes on them one has 3-400 street miles as well.  It is hard to tell from your pictures. It may be light of shadows but look at the one I marked. It looks like it is riding higher. As the chain stretches it will no longer “fitâ€￾ down in the sprockets. The first few links to toward the drive side will ride high and cause drag. Looking at the sprocket from the side will usually reveals elongated wear patterns toward the drive side. Also if looking at it from the side. The chain leaves the sprocket at 7- 11 o-clock. If you pull the chain away from the sprocket at 3 o-clock does it try to move the links in the 6 – 12 o-clock position?   Puch up on the slack between the two sprockets and roll the wheel slightly back and forth. Can you see it dragging where it last touches?

How many miles and what brand type of chain?

spkt1.jpg

spkt2.jpg

By the way is your rotor scored as bad as it looks?

Back